User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Tmc or maverick

TMC or Maverick transport which is the better flat bed company to work for? Any body Know? Other than TMC with its Peterbuilts and Maverick with its Freightshakers???
Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

It would all depend on which company best fits your needs.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member

depends on where you live. you may live close to a tmc terminal or closer to a may terminal. and that may make the difference.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Ryan I am a former flatbedder though I didnt work for either one my cousin worked for Maverick. We all competed for the same business and the job is basically the same no matter who you work for. It really is almost as simple as what kind of truck you want to drive. They are both good companies with good reps. Either way you will drive aprox 2200-2700 miles a week, avg $800-1100/week, get home for the weekend, and see all the same trucks at all the common shippers. If your still having trouble then try asking specific questions that are important to you and try to narrow it down. For the most part the job is the same everywhere you go. FWIW TMC probably has nicer trucks but they have a reputation for alot of petty rules. Not necessarily a bad thing, just personal preference.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Rookie

I would have to say TMC, but I suppose you could claim bias on my part since I've been with TMC for almost 15 years now. If I had to name our most respected competitor it would have to be Maverick. Matter of fact one of their department heads is a former TMC employee so no wonder they're squared away. Hah! The entire industry is suffering badly right now due to the economy so it's hard to say who has the most freight. My guess it that we're both on the same playing field right now. Since the freight and culture of both companies is comparable I would look at things such as pay and equipment. I honestly can't speak for their pay structure, but TMC's is performance based and despite some of the whiners out there who say otherwise, you can make very good money at TMC if you work smart. One of my co-workers just last week stopped in my office and was telling me about a driver he talks with frequently and he was going over the driver's paycheck. This driver was home almost every weekend (he stays out a couple weeks at a time every now and then) and for 2008 he grossed almost $80,000! No, I'm not making this up or exaggerating. Reason being was that he takes full advantage of the performance based pay system. Now will most drivers at TMC make that kind of money? No way. However, it shows you what's possible. As far as the equipment goes it's hard to argue against a fully loaded Pete, but now I'm beginning to sound like a recruiter. My best advice is that whichever carrier you choose, when it comes time to move on make sure you do the right thing. Give proper notice, turn the equipment back in where they ask, etc. There is no longer a shortage of drivers, but a shortage of QUALITY drivers. I can tell you that we are looking harder than ever when it comes to our hiring process. Only the good guys are going to end up with good jobs. You can learn more about our hiring requirements and training process by visiting, TMC Transportation | TMC Training Centers You can't really go wrong with either company (but we'd love to see you at our place). Good luck!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie
Default Thank you for your help.

Well I would really like to thank you all for all of your help. I just want get going on either one of them. Maverick has already checked my DAC and approved me for hire but i am still waiting for it to happen because of the slow econimic times that are happening right now. As for TMC I have just put in the application and spoken to a recruiter because I am just getting tired of waiting. I hope that somthing will happen soon. You see I have been on unemployment taking home less than half of what I used to make in the well drilling industry. I like the idea of flatbedding because you get to work outside a little bit each day to get away from sitting all day in the truck.