User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HazMat Placarded Loads and Down Time

How do drivers of placarded loads of Flammable Liquids Class 3, Combustible Liquids and Class 8 Corrosive Materials get rest when its time to shut down and get some sleep? Do you just pull up at the favorite Truck Stop and bed down? This is a drop deck trailer with totes and drums of these materials strapped down in the open air, where anybody passing by could flip a cig. butt. Or on a more malicious note, reach in and uncap a tote and open the drain port, or punch holes in the plastic drums. I've looked through the HazMat Endorsement guide, but can't find much about down time and sleeping while OTR with such a load. Under a paragraph about "Parking a Placarded Vehicle..." Says The person attending a placarded vehicle must be in the vehicle, awake, and not in the sleeper berth, or within 100 feet of the vehicle and have it within clear view, Be aware of the hazards of the materials being transported, know what to do in emergencies, be able to move the vehicle if needed. But I think this is talking about parking on the side if the road for a short period of time, like checking the straps, tires, etc. What's the solution? I see a paragraph about "Safe Haven" dealing with transporting Class 1 Explosives, but don't know where any of these are at. Are there truck stops set up for these HazMat loads?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Board Icon

Question 4: Who determines what is a ‘‘safe haven’’?

Guidance: The selection of safe havens is a decision of the ‘‘competent government authorities’’ having jurisdiction over the area. The definition found in §397.5(d)(3) is purposely void of any specific guidelines or criteria. A truck stop may be considered a safe haven if it is so designated by local or State governmental authorities.

Interpretation for Part 397: Transportation of hazardous materials; driving and parking rules

It is up to you to plan your trip accordingly, and determine whether the place you intend to park is considered a safe haven.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Board Icon

Question 5: Section 397.5(d)(3) describes a safe haven as ‘‘* * * an area specifically approved in writing by local, State, or Federal governmental authorities for the parking of unattended vehicles containing Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 materials.’’ Do guidelines exist for establishing approval criteria for safe havens? Is there a national list of approved safe havens available to the public?

Guidance: The FHWA believes the safe haven concept is becoming increasingly obsolete due to readily available alternatives for providing ‘‘attendance at all times’’ for vehicles laden with explosives. The FHWA is aware of two documents that may be used as resources for establishing approval criteria for safe havens. The first document, Construction and Maintenance Procedure Recommendations for Proposed Federal Guidelines of Safe Havens for Vehicles Carrying Class A or Class B Explosives (1985), contains design, construction, and maintenance guidelines. The second document, Recommended National Criteria for the Establishment and Operation of Safe Havens (1990), contains recommended national uniform criteria for approval of safe havens and an inventory of all State-approved safe havens in existence at the time of the report. These two documents may be used both as resources for establishing guidelines for safe haven design and construction, and as source documents for finding other materials that may be used toward the same purpose. These two documents are available to the public through the U.S. Department of Commerce, National Technical Information Service (NTIS), Springfield, Virginia 22161 (phone: (703) 487-4650). The NTIS publications database is also accessible on the internet’s world wide web at http://www.fedworld.gov/ntis.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlacTrac View Post
How do drivers of placarded loads of Flammable Liquids Class 3, Combustible Liquids and Class 8 Corrosive Materials get rest when its time to shut down and get some sleep? Do you just pull up at the favorite Truck Stop and bed down? This is a drop deck trailer with totes and drums of these materials strapped down in the open air, where anybody passing by could flip a cig. butt. Or on a more malicious note, reach in and uncap a tote and open the drain port, or punch holes in the plastic drums. I've looked through the HazMat Endorsement guide, but can't find much about down time and sleeping while OTR with such a load. Under a paragraph about "Parking a Placarded Vehicle..." Says The person attending a placarded vehicle must be in the vehicle, awake, and not in the sleeper berth, or within 100 feet of the vehicle and have it within clear view, Be aware of the hazards of the materials being transported, know what to do in emergencies, be able to move the vehicle if needed. But I think this is talking about parking on the side if the road for a short period of time, like checking the straps, tires, etc. What's the solution? I see a paragraph about "Safe Haven" dealing with transporting Class 1 Explosives, but don't know where any of these are at. Are there truck stops set up for these HazMat loads?
Rev gave you the reading answer.

To answer your parking question, in the real work-a-day world...Yes...you park at truck stops.
You can only do "so-much" to protect your load. You are expected to be awake while driving your truck, so it goes to the logical conclusion that you are going to park to sleep. You do so at truck stops.

Things you don't do...Don't stop on the shoulder of the road to check cargo control devices. Stop at truck stops, rest areas, or if you must, on the shoulder of the "On-ramp", where vehicles coming past you are less likely to have a head of speed.

Don't travel through housing areas, if there are less populated alternatives. The same applies to business areas. Stay away if at all possible.

Many cities and states have "Haz-Mat" routes that you are expected to follow. There are times that it seems illogical...but you have to remember...Emergency Response units are positioned to respond along those routes, to handle various situations.

If you are parking for an extended period of time...say for 1 or 2 days.... and decide to use a motel, you choose one that is in a less populous area, with off street parking, then you make sure that the property owner understands what you have as a cargo.

You make yourself aware of the situations around you. This applies to traffic while you are moving, surroundings while you are parked, and people, whether they are passengers of other vehicles or pedestrians on a street or lot.

It isn't hard to be safe. Just use large quantities of common sense.

I just completed a trip from TX to NJ and back. I hauled some very nasty material, yet I stopped en-route at a motel for 2 nights, less than 5 miles from the delivery. The delivery was delayed due to bad weather conditions. Had the customer been willing to allow me to drop the trailer at their property during the delay, that would have been the best solution for "Safety", but the customer was unwilling to accept the drop and storage liability.......so I had to stay under the trailer, while waiting out the delayed delivery time. This in NJ.
I found a motel with acceptable parking space, informed the management of the cargo and it's risks, and was allowed to park in a location that reduced the risk to traffic, to the population and to the unit itself. It was also parked under lights and under video surveillance. It all worked well.

I have been doing haz-mat for 30 years. :thumbsup:
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Thank-you Orangetxguy, that answers my questions perfectly. I hope I'm lucky enough to not get caught in NJ like you did....
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlacTrac View Post
Thank-you Orangetxguy, that answers my questions perfectly. I hope I'm lucky enough to not get caught in NJ like you did....

For me luck had nothing to do with it.

The weather would have interfered with the leak detection systems that protect the area. The product I was delivering is exceptionally nasty, and rain or wind does not disapate the chemical, only masks it from detection in the event of a leak.

I wasn't thrilled about the delay, but I was paid to wait.