User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default how stable is the trucking industry right now?

i currently work on the railroad but it looks like i am gonna get layed off due to a bad economy and i dont really have any idea on what im gonna do and i was wandering how good is the industry for trucking right now and what kinda money can a new guy make as a driver thanx for any advise
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Board Member

It depends on who ya drive for what ya pull and where, in other words it's about as stable as the rail roads. Lots of Co have "downsized" and some have closed there doors, right now I think it would be tough getting started in trucking, as far as pay ????I can't help you there BOL
Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I never like to be the bearer of bad news, but things are not well right now. I don't know of anyone in this business who is doing as well as they would like. Many are just getting by. If carriers and owner operators are not doing well then the drivers are not doing well. Some of the larger carriers are having serious financial difficulties. Logistics companies and those willing to haul just to keep moving are further complicating things by pushing rates downward. We are in a down cycle with the bottom not yet in sight. Things will improve, but it will take time. Most of us who have been around for more years than we would like to think about agree that it will be a difficult year and could go into the following year. We will still need to earn a living. We may not make as much money as we would prefer but we will survive. Getting into the business may be more difficult. Those with poor work histories or bad mvr's may find it difficult to find a decent driving job.

The trucking business is no different than many other businesses as far as the current economy is concerned. It may be challenging to find a decent job no matter what industry that you are looking. If you are interested in driving I suggest you get in touch with some of the larger carriers who work with new graduates or those with limited experience. Most smaller carriers don't hire inexperienced drivers due to insurance issues. According to what I am hearing some of the large carriers are only hiring those with experience with good work histories and good mvr's. There are a few recruiters who frequent this forum who may chime in on what there companies are doing, but if I were in your position I would start making phone calls to the larger carriers and see what they suggest. Check the "company listings" on this forum. Most of the larger carriers are listed. Let us know what you find out. I am sure others are also interested.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Senior Board Member

You know i really get sick of hearing the 'some companies will haul anything thus driving the rates down'. You know what is really causing the rates to go down? Grab your socks and hose and pull.......it is something called the ECONOMY. Why do you see so many 'deals' around by anybody to get customers walking thru their doors? Dont blame the mega carriers for driving rates down.....blame the companies/shippers for hauling their loads via rail. i've seen more trains loaded with trailers than i've ever seen before.

But if you think the company/shipper will actually pay for more expensive shipping....you are sadly mistaken. Those companies will pass on that cost to the consumer. That gallon of milk you currently can buy for $2.50, will be $4, and those dozen eggs for $2 will be $3.50. What is the point of crying about lack of freight, and then crying about what freight you DO get as being 'cheap'? Not to mention, if you DO get that rate back up, then that extra money you make you end up SPENDING ON those 'goods' you want, that the company raised the price on. Seems kinda pointless.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
You know i really get sick of hearing the 'some companies will haul anything thus driving the rates down'. You know what is really causing the rates to go down? Grab your socks and hose and pull.......it is something called the ECONOMY. Why do you see so many 'deals' around by anybody to get customers walking thru their doors? Dont blame the mega carriers for driving rates down.....blame the companies/shippers for hauling their loads via rail. i've seen more trains loaded with trailers than i've ever seen before.

But if you think the company/shipper will actually pay for more expensive shipping....you are sadly mistaken. Those companies will pass on that cost to the consumer. That gallon of milk you currently can buy for $2.50, will be $4, and those dozen eggs for $2 will be $3.50. What is the point of crying about lack of freight, and then crying about what freight you DO get as being 'cheap'? Not to mention, if you DO get that rate back up, then that extra money you make you end up SPENDING ON those 'goods' you want, that the company raised the price on. Seems kinda pointless.

Thanks for your lesson on economics. :hellno: Companies will pass on the shipper costs IF that is what the companies' market will allow, otherwise it will come out of the profits.

True, it appears to be more freight is going by rail, but if you look at the rail lines, that doesn't account for much of the reduction of OTR trucking. Plus the OP just said he was getting laid off from the railroad, so that might be an indicator. Also, last I knew trucks still hauled from the yards to the final destinations.

I think instead of confusing the trucking industry picture with bits and pieces of the effects of the economy, it might just be easier and more to the point to say that freight is down and there is an over supply of drivers. This addresses the OP's question. :smokin:
Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Dateline: Waterloo, IA -26f

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
. . and there is an over supply of drivers. This addresses the OP's question. :smokin:
I'm sitting here getting loaded with whatever it is they make in H20loo. That's after an 870 mile deadhead from VA. Was this to address a freight shortage in VA or a Driver shortage in IA? I don't know but it could be the latter . . I've seen no fewer than 15 trucks in the ditch (I stopped counting the mere breakdowns) since leaving OH.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
i currently work on the railroad but it looks like i am gonna get layed off due to a bad economy and i dont really have any idea on what im gonna do and i was wandering how good is the industry for trucking right now and what kinda money can a new guy make as a driver thanx for any advise
Do you work for a Class I railroad? If you do which one? I live close to Philly PA and i wanted to get on with CSX as a conductor. I already have an resume and filled out a app. on their website. I emailed them and they told me all the job openings they have will be posted. Its seems the only ones the post is track workers. But i guess if you are getting layed off i shouldn't get my hopes up about going to work on the railroad. Good luck looking into trucking. I would try to stick with the railroad if you can. You have a great retirement plan like all railroad workers do.

If you need any info on trucking shoot me a PM. But i never drove OTR so i cant help you there. But there are alot of good info posters on this site.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Rookie
Default railroad

yea i work for a class 1 and it is csx and they suck azz when i hired out you had to pay to go to school and pay for your motel now they pay for everything but just as soon as you get hired on and out of school these so called management team will hide in the bushes and anywhere else they can hide so they can try to find you breaking a ruke and BAM your fired but we are union job so most time we do get our job back but its a ok place to work just like anywhere else it has its good point and it bad points if you wanna pm and ask me anything bout the railroad mack feel free to do so
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ok... My 2 cents...

Right now, I don't believe there is any industry that is stable. Stop in at any truck stop, and look at the number of drivers looking at the load board. I'd always see some of them in the past, but not like I do now. I just got deadheaded from New Orleans to Orlando. No loads available. Not something I've ever done in the past.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I don't know of any segment of this economy that isn't suffering in some manner or another. Trucking is basically in a depression. When the economy is down there is less need to move products around. That means less need for trucks. I spoke with a friend of mine who is leased to a carrier. Until a couple of weeks ago or so he has been averaging over $4,000/week to the truck. Last week he did $1,300. Every carrier and owner operator is affected by what is going on in the economy. When carriers and owner operators are not doing well then those who work for them are also not doing well.

One other thing. We can debate issues but we don't need to lower ourselves to name calling and personal attacks. When one reverts to personal attacks and name calling it diminishes your position and gives you less credibility. Most people come to this forum for information and to share personal experiences with those with a common interest. To those who are doing this we need to tone it down. Let's stick to debating ideas and issues and stay away from the name calling and personal attacks.