User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Place Company Drivers Out Of Service...Plz Read

The other night.. I get a message on the qualcomn saying call the office if you have to go over a weight station. Lucky i had already cross the scales and from that point on i didn't have to cross no more scales. So I kept down the road..So come to find out... The weight station at the 200 in Sandston, Va on 64 had shut down every Schneider Truck from Dedicated wal-mart drivers, a local day cab Schneider, and a system truck that crossed those scales.. It turns out that a System driver didn't pay his overweight ticket and they placed all those drivers out of service from Schneider until the ticket was paid.. and come to find out the ticket was paid a day before the incident happened...

Has this happen to anyone of you guys???
Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Board Regular

That has not happened to me before but have heard of it happening to other drivers/companies. Virginia is a weird state. I remember going through there one time up I-85 on my way to DC and was stopped at the first scale in Va. going north. Was a little overweight but was surprised when they let me pay the fine on the spot and keep going. Something like $30 if I remember right.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Board Icon

Sounds awful fishy, if the guy hadn't paid his overweight ticket on time they would have put his license up as being taken by the state of VA or at least that's how they explained my overweight ticket. Officers exact words were, "If you fail to pay this on time, we will be taking your license." Certain it wasn't something else they were after, like inspections? Maybe they didn't have the proper Pre-Pass info for those trucks so they were told to park until the info came in. I don't see what they would have gained by parking all other Schneider trucks until a driver paid his own fine unless the fine was not against the driver but against the company itself. If the company was supposed to pay the fine and did not pay it on time, then yeah, if they start shutting trucks down in VA it would get Schneider's attention real quick to pay that fine.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
The other night.. I get a message on the qualcomn saying call the office if you have to go over a weight station. Lucky i had already cross the scales and from that point on i didn't have to cross no more scales. So I kept down the road..So come to find out... The weight station at the 200 in Sandston, Va on 64 had shut down every Schneider Truck from Dedicated wal-mart drivers, a local day cab Schneider, and a system truck that crossed those scales.. It turns out that a System driver didn't pay his overweight ticket and they placed all those drivers out of service from Schneider until the ticket was paid.. and come to find out the ticket was paid a day before the incident happened...

Has this happen to anyone of you guys???
Here is the VA overweight site link, for unpaid tickets.

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The citation is directed to the owner, operator or other person(s) responsible for the overweight violation as determined by the officer.
and

Quote:
Failure to satisfy the final case disposition within 30 calendar days of the trial date results in the suspension of your privilege to operate on Virginia highways and a $30 reinstatement fee is assessed. Your vehicles may be detained in Virginia until the total amount due is paid.
Even before reading that from the site OrangeTxguy posted I thought maybe VA was one of those states that could or did write vehicle citations to the owner of the vehicle instead of the operator.

I know there are several states that have or have added provisions to fine the owner as well as the operator of unsafe equipment, especially if it is shown the operator has made very reasonable attempts to have the problems corrected.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Well thats the story i got Ford... it does sound pretty stupid.. but there was a total of 7 Schneider Trucks Between east and westbound in the Dog house.. and also those scales on I-64 don't have Pre Pass. Every truck has to stop at that scale if it says open.. Our Pre passes never go off there... It might have to due with the Port Traffic... but i doubt it because the one on 13/58/460 has pre pass and just as much port traffic go thru there then up 64 so i don't know..
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Board Icon

Well that's dumb of VA to not have Pre Pass on that scale. It's a freakin interstate and trucks coming from the north headed towards the beach do use 64. That is unless they know the backway coming out of Fredericksburg that can bring you out right there in Hampton on 64. Not any quicker unless traffic is totally screwed on 95/295/64.

Like I was saying, unless the overweight ticket was written against Schneider, they would not have parked every truck they saw coming thru the scale. It had to have been written against Schneider instead of the driver, and since it appears on the surface that they failed to pay it on time, the driver might want to get ahold of his DMV and find out if his license is still valid. VA may have already posted his license as invalid. I don't agree with it but VA takes the license of the operator of the ticketed vehicle if the 3rd party involved doesn't pay their end. It's not fair to the driver but I don't see a better way.