User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default During a training program, what type of truck driving will I be doing with a mentor?

Sleeper, dedicated, regional, etc? With the mentor, will I get the same free time as I would driving solo?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

depends on your trainer and what company you are working for driver
Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 AM

a pos
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert26 View Post
Sleeper, dedicated, regional, etc? With the mentor, will I get the same free time as I would driving solo?
The general idea behind training is to get you into the swing of doing the job on your own. Managing time is one of the things. Even driving solo, actual free time can get to be a luxury. But, training should be geared to your logbook and your hours. First, you are told how to do it safely and legally, then you get hints and suggestions to improve your performance as a driver, and finally, you are observed to make sure you learned all you can.

I'm guessing your question came up because of the other thread where training became an issue. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's the company, and your trainer that will determine your free time. For that reason, it would be very much to your own benefit to research the company and find out what they allow and don't allow during training.

That being said, it does not mean you get to do the trainer's laundry, while the trainer sleeps or sits in the driver's lounge. Yes, I've heard of that too.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Board Member

What to expect.....

Expect to start out driving maybe 1-3 hours a day for a few days. By the end of the week, you should be getting closer to 5-6, and by the end of the 2nd week, be driving your full 11 hours. How much training will you get? It really all depends on the quality of mentor you get.

Me, for example, my first mentor had me on the truck for 14 days. He was home 4 times for 6 days, and i only received 8 paid training days, and only two backs. I used the QualComm, but not nearly enough. First mentor loved to pass the blame. We had a load from missouri to CA, and because i had gone 4 days without a shower or 10 days without laundry, i needed to do both. I asked to get off his truck at the terminal (a terminal he would pass heade to CA anyways), and he agreed. He then blamed me for losing the load because when i got off the truck, they pulled the load. (that wasnt the case). I got a new mentor in 48 hours, and it was totally different. First mentor was strictly 'over the road'. 2nd mentor was running Wal-Mart dedicated. Both were O/Os. I had 6 backs by the end of the first day driving with him. I had used the QualComm 5x as much by the end of that same day as i did with previous mentor.

You should be being taught the things needed to support the driver, logbook, q-comm, BOL paperwork, turning in your logs to get paid, etc., all the while driving the truck for a few hours here and there. By mid-week, you should be slowly doing it all on your own. Driving, route planning, paperwork, etc. By the start of the last week or two, you should be totally operating the truck on your own, as if it were your own. By this time, as long as your mentor feels comfortable with your skill, you will pretty much be running the truck as a team. You drive while he sleeps, and you sleep when he drives. The truck almost never stops.

NOW, if you feel you are not getting the proper training you WANT or NEED, it is your job to go to your DM and request a new mentor. They have got to give you one, provided you give them a good enough excuse as to why you're requesting a new one. It is about being taught the right way, it is not being a gopher for your mentor. You dont buy him a thing, you don't do his laundry, you aren't his little bitch. But you also have to stand up for yourself, and speak up.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

If going with swift expect to get a trainer with less than 4 seasons uder his belt who does'nt drive unless the sun is shining and the roads and weather are beautifull ...and does not know how to chain.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post

NOW, if you feel you are not getting the proper training you WANT or NEED, it is your job to go to your DM and request a new mentor. They have got to give you one, provided you give them a good enough excuse as to why you're requesting a new one. It is about being taught the right way, it is not being a gopher for your mentor. You dont buy him a thing, you don't do his laundry, you aren't his little bitch. But you also have to stand up for yourself, and speak up.

When I trained I firmly stated my laundry to be done every Sunday without fail ...And above all else my students are to sit when they pee I don't wanna catch-em standing when they pee ...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

If going to take any advice from anybody on here, are you going to listen to someone who just LOVES to be a hater, rather than be open minded? Both my mentors had been driving for 5+ years. And NEITHER were solar drivers.

Man, i bet you get a hard on, being a dick.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
When I trained I firmly stated my laundry to be done every Sunday without fail ...And above all else my students are to sit when they pee I don't wanna catch-em standing when they pee ...
Ever consider there might be a few on here actually interested in the exchange of information, rather than just being stupid? I bet you'd be on of those drivers who'd jump on the CB to help someone back, being an 'eye' from across the lot, and back him/her into another truck, just for a laugh. Or screwing with someone's 5th wheel or air-lines. I hope i'm coming out from the fuel desk and catch someone f--kin with my truck. i'll first get a picture of it with my cell, and THEN ill Judge Wapper their azz....THEN i'll turn in their truck and trailer into their company.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 11-16-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Ever consider there might be a few on here actually interested in the exchange of information, rather than just being stupid? I bet you'd be on of those drivers who'd jump on the CB to help someone back, being an 'eye' from across the lot, and back him/her into another truck, just for a laugh. Or screwing with someone's 5th wheel or air-lines.

Nah no spotting swift anymore... last time I helped a swift mentor back I told him to get under the trailer ,and then he blamed me for his crushed foot after he jumped out the cab forgetting to set his breaks and got under the trailer only to get his foot run over.