User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default how do companies treat you when you give notice?

My husband and I spent the last 3 months trying to drive team and it didn't work for us. We have given notice to our company (he is going back to driving solo), and even though this is when we would normally be going home anyway, our f/m says she "might" be able to route us "near" home so we can unload the truck, but that we then have to drive it to a terminal 12 hours from our home (not our home terminal, by the way) and then they will bus us back. Is this industry standard? This company has a secured yard 2 hours from our home with a guard where we have always left the truck before and there are always other empty company trucks there, and we are curious as to why we can't leave it there. Our fleet manager is angry with us andwon't answer our questions. We want to leave on good terms, but we need to empty the truck and get home in time for my husband to go to orientation with his new company. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Yes, this is sometimes the industry standard! Do exactly what they request and then put it behind you. May cost you some bucks, but well worth it in the long run. Play their game at the end.

No need to have abandonments etc, haunting you. Get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible on their terms.

Get the truck back to them where they want it and enjoy a good novel on the bus ride back! It'll all be over in no time. Been there...............

Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

You got a good question there...

Take some hometime....remove all personal items except for the few basic items....go back out...put in your 2 week notice...and play it from there.

If they tell you to drop the truck somewhere and take a bus...you will have less stuff to hassle with
Old 09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

They probably want to inspect it for damage in case there is any. But, I would agree they are jerking you around. If you want to leave on good terms you will have to play their game.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Take a bus home?
No way, I'd be in a rental car....period!
Either get the difference in price if there is any or pay out of pocket.
If you pay keep your receipt as a tax deduction.
Does seem like you are being played though.
Can you say the name of the company for future reference?
Good luck, hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will want drivers to take the truck to a certain location. It is their decision as to where you need to take their truck. It would be in your best interest to do as they ask.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Something nobody has keyed in on yet.....
Quote:
our f/m says she "might" be able to route us "near" home so we can unload the truck, but that we then have to drive it to a terminal 12 hours from our home (not our home terminal, by the way) and then they will bus us back.
A suggestion....Forget your FM.....Contact your home terminal manager about where to drop the truck. You say your FM is not happy with you....she may be just trying to inconvenience you for putting in notice.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Make sure to get everything in writing.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: how do companies treat you when you give notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyjan
My husband and I spent the last 3 months trying to drive team and it didn't work for us. We have given notice to our company (he is going back to driving solo), and even though this is when we would normally be going home anyway, our f/m says she "might" be able to route us "near" home so we can unload the truck, but that we then have to drive it to a terminal 12 hours from our home (not our home terminal, by the way) and then they will bus us back. Is this industry standard? This company has a secured yard 2 hours from our home with a guard where we have always left the truck before and there are always other empty company trucks there, and we are curious as to why we can't leave it there. Our fleet manager is angry with us andwon't answer our questions. We want to leave on good terms, but we need to empty the truck and get home in time for my husband to go to orientation with his new company. Any suggestions?
1) yes-- you should always go by your house 1st and get your stuff out of any company truck-- before you start making "noise" about leaving.

2) Where did you pick up-- that truck?
3) Where did you pick up -- your first truck with that company?
4) Did any supervisor at the company-- ever tell you that --"you can return the vehicle at ANY TERMINAL in our system?"

It's only reasonably fair-- for you to return the truck to a location a) where you started from or B) if they have regular orientations there-- and thus need the truck--- there.
But, if they are having you by-pass several of these locations-- in favor of sending you to the far reaches of the realm -- just to make for a long -- painful exit ordeal-- then I'd be considering other things.

You were both employee's co-driving, so I'd assume BOTH of you will need to do the exit process- if you want to keep BOTH DAC records ok.-
Otherwise, drop the Mrs. off at the house with the gear-- and return the truck solo.

2 week notices can be -- just asking for trouble in this industry. But it's nice to send a written resignation letter- certified mail- receipt signature required... to document you actually resigned and weren't -- Terminated.
that last 2 weeks can get really dirty.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Make sure to get everything in writing.
yea i agree wiht GMAN, make sure you get a signed release form from a terminal mgr or fleet mgr no matter what terminal u drop the truck at.....its much easier to dispute something later if they try to pul any fast moves on your DAC. also just as freebird said, i'd rent a car, and u have plenty of more room to load up your personals in it, rather then greyhound.....
i vow never to get on another greyhound as long as i live, no matter where i ever go again for another orientation....after my first trip down to Atl. i refuse to ever take that long drawn out ride again....eihter rental car or fly....lol