User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Screwed II?

I earned my CDL in June 2007. Eventually I Leased a truck from CR England. I was born and raised in southern CA. This past winter was my first experience with true winter driving. On Feb. 17, 2008 I was south bound on I-35 out of St. Paul. The highway was mostly clear, temperatures were around zero. There were patches of ice and snow. On reflection I realize what was creating the icy spots, there were points where the winds were picking up snow and blowing it across the highway, traffic running over the snow then formed the ice underneath. I was running about 25mph and feeling lots of pressure from traffic, with vehicles passing me on the left when the highway was clear. As I approached Clear Lake, IA, a gust of wind pushed my empty trailer hard enough on the ice that I lost control, the truck slid, and jackknifed. When I stopped the tractor was on the shoulder stuck in snow and ice, the trailer was still on the highway. A sheriff’s deputy was directly behind me and witnessed the whole thing, in fact she had been following me for miles. There was a towing ban in force at the time and the police were giving people rides to safety when they skidded off the road. There were lots of cars all along the route off the shoulders and in the median. The officer was concerned that a car skidding on the same ice might hit my trailer and ordered a tow for my truck before even approaching me. My vehicle did not collide with any other objects or vehicles but the tractor did sustain damage, the trailer did not. The tow truck arrived in minutes and winched my tractor back onto the roadway. I then drove to the Clear Lake Freightliner dealer. No police report was written, no citation issued, and it was not reportable under FMCSR. Seven weeks later I was routed to Salt Lake City and called into the terminal for a “safety review”. I was handed a paper to sign admitting the Accident was my fault and placing me on one years probation. I declined to sign the form which triggered a hearing on the matter. I was found “guilty”, ordered to undergo “retraining” and a road evaluation. When I reported for my retraining I was given an immediate road evaluation which I failed and was immediately fired. Technically I was decertified by safety and my lease was terminated, about one month before it would have expired.

I was hired by a building component manufacturer in my home town, Kingman, AZ, but laid off two months later in connection with the current economic slowdown. It is now becoming apparent that my record, which includes another “accident”, my truck was “hit while parked”, (damage ~$300.00), and a speeding ticket in my car in 2005, before I got my CDL, ( At the time I could have taken a class and got the ticket dismissed but I thought it was more trouble than it was woth as I often go ten years or more without a ticket), is dooming my career as a driver. I have since been rejected by dozens of companies on safety grounds. I have been licensed for over fourty years and never have been involved in an injury accident. It now seems that my $6,000.00 investment in a CDL was a complete waist of time and money. Any sugestions?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

What was the reason for failing the road test?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I suggest you get a copy of your DAC and MVR to see what is on them. You didn't mention how fast you were going in 2005 when you got the speeding ticket. Most insurance companies only look at the last 3 years. There could be something on your DAC which needs to be addressed. I think the main problem are the two accidents. The economy is soft so carriers are becoming more selective in whom they hire. Given a choice carriers will go with the experienced driver with a clean DAC and MVR. From your post I gather that you have a total of about 1 year experience. Another problem I see is that it has been close to a year since you have driven a truck. Policies differ from one carrier to another. I would ask some of those who turned you down for a reason and see if there is something you could do to rectify the situation. You may need to go with one of the training carriers to get started.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

For starters if you have not done so, or done so in a while, you should contact DAC/USIS and get a copy of your employment file (DAC report) to see what is on there. Refute any inaccurate entries that may be there and be sure to list all accidents and incidents on any job application.

Next you should get a copy of your MVR and make sure it is correct and make sure there is not something on there you may have forgotten about.

The only other suggestion I have is to keep plugging away. As things stand right now there is an abundance of drivers available. A lot of companies have shut down flooding the market with experienced drivers and companies are able to be more picky on who they will hire.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs down Reality of a sucky line of work

Its just trucking in general...where I work (Marten) they are firing people in droves

for the slightest infractions.(Namely logs/safety/bad operational habits)

This is a hard line of work.

But then really cant blame them if you think about it.

Last edited by zipy46; 11-03-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
Its just trucking in general...where I work (Marten) they are firing people in droves

for the slightest infractions.(Namely logs/safety/bad operational habits)

This is a hard line of work.

But then really cant blame them if you think about it.
I'll bet they are wondering why they can't keep drivers
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Rookie

"Firing in droves"....Amen

Here locally a company with 220 drivers just let 32 of them go, and guess what? They didn't use a seniority system. They let all the guys with bad records go - accidents, tickets, late for appointments, whatever.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the feed back. I have my DAC and MVR, nothing else on them. The speeding ticket was for 55 in a 45. I don't know how I could have prevented the "Hit While Parked" incident, ya gotta leave the truck once in a while...

I had my truck overturned by the wind, --While Parked--, also, but that is not listed on my DAC, surprisingly. CHP did not write an accident report on that one either. Half a dozen trucks, including mine, were overturned at the foot of Cajon Pass on I-15 New Years Day. I had stopped due to the high wind advisory that day, but stopping where I got blown around near Clear Lake was not an option.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenJoe View Post
"Firing in droves"....Amen

Here locally a company with 220 drivers just let 32 of them go, and guess what? They didn't use a seniority system. They let all the guys with bad records go - accidents, tickets, late for appointments, whatever.

Actually come to think of it....most lines of work now a days are pretty unforgiving...and short lived