User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default advice

this message is for the newbies! when your headed to a new job, may it be school or a company. Please have enough money to get back home. dont count on the job getting you back home ,if things dont work out. i see alot of people out there quit, school or a trucking job , hanging in truck stops asking for a ride .when u go to a job atleast have enough money to get you home. i dont understand people leaving home with no money. $30 is not enough to get you home. just some friendly advice!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Great advice!
I'd take it farther...
Have a credit card that you would be able to rent a car with when the time arrives!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Well said.

It is wise to have an emergency credit card or an emergency savings/checking account (with check card and/or atm access).

As a trainee or someone teaming with a stranger (or, in some cases, teaming with someone you know- you may find out the hard way this person isn't as honest as you once thought), it's best to keep your financials with you at all times. Who knows- the guy/gal may go through your things when you run in to use the rest room or to grab a cup of coffee. Especially if you're carrying an emergency wad of cash.

Because of that, I think a check card is better. They can still take it and use it but you have some protection. Best to keep that stuff on you at all times.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Rookie

is it often that the company or school drops people or is it tha some just cant take it and leave, i ask cause this jib i am taking tonight at prime is kinda there or bust for me i know its kinda dumb to not have a credit card for back up but i dont have that many options trying to get my foot in th door and doing it with very little cash in hand :?:
Old 09-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcarsalesman
this message is for the newbies! when your headed to a new job, may it be school or a company. Please have enough money to get back home. dont count on the job getting you back home ,if things dont work out. i see alot of people out there quit, school or a trucking job , hanging in truck stops asking for a ride .when u go to a job atleast have enough money to get you home. i dont understand people leaving home with no money. $30 is not enough to get you home. just some friendly advice!
I'm afraid that in this economy, there are a whole lot of people that are feeling the "PINCH". They might have the money to get back home, if it were there in the first place. In Northern IN, Monaco Coaches has closed their doors and a number of people that have years with them are now out of work. It's fine to give that advice, but it would also help if you could tell some of them just where to come up with that money. I'll bet that many of them simply don't have it available.

Six months ago, I said we were on the verge of economic collapse. Today, I'm not the only one that's saying it. Now, it's coming from Political Circles as well. Yes, you do have good advice, but is it practical, or even possible, for everybody.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycrazy View Post
is it often that the company or school drops people or is it tha some just cant take it and leave, i ask cause this jib i am taking tonight at prime is kinda there or bust for me i know its kinda dumb to not have a credit card for back up but i dont have that many options trying to get my foot in th door and doing it with very little cash in hand :?:
If you don't have money than don't under any cirumstances get suckered into the lease purchase program. Please.

Even if you did have money, don't get suckered into it. But if you did have money, you might float a little longer.

They prey on drivers with no money and no credit and no options and eyes that are bigger than their stomachs. You don't NEED to buy a truck- in fact, the easiest way to lose your arse in trucking is to buy a truck when you have no business buying a truck.

I would expect to lose your job if you have an accident (even a fender bender) in your first however many weeks or months (companies vary) or if you don't make your appointment times.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Its good advice, but I also have good advice. Dont hire on with a company that would do this to a human being. Superior flew me to school, put me in a motel for 5 days and flew me home. Get on with a GOOD company.