User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question For Recruiters (Long)

This is a question for any of you that is involved or have been involved with the recruiting aspect of the trucking industry. I've had perfect credit my whole life. Now I'm facing some serious financial trouble. After being in the real estate industry for the last 20 years, making money in the last few years has been non existent. Having used up all my savings, selling assets and everything else to stay afloat, I've reached the end of the line. My question is do trucking companies look at credit scores and bankruptcy status when assessing whether or not they will hire you?

I'm close to enrolling in one of two schools connected with trucking companies that guarantee a job upon graduation and training. I'm concerned that when entering the school I will have a decent credit rating, but that is about to change and my financial position will be much less than decent over the next couple of months. I know many employers do the backround check which includes some checking on credit scores and the like. The last thing I need is shelling out my last couple of thousand dollars for a trucking school only to find they or anyone else won't hire me after the training.

I appreciate anyone who has some actual knowedge of how it works out there. This is a huge life changing proposition for me and my family. I had my first job out of high school for 17 years and I've been with my last employer for 15 years, so my work history is quite stable. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Mark
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know of any trucking companies who actually check credit scores before making a decision as to whether to hire a driver. You sign a form which gives them access to your DAC file which comes under the same rules as your credit. While they can also check your credit, it would rarely be used. The main thing carriers are interested in is a clean mvr and how many jobs you have had the last 2-3 years. Some are not that interested in the number of jobs. DAC keeps track of those who have CDL's. You won't have anything in a DAC file until after you leave your first carrier. Not all carriers subscribe to DAC services. Some things they can get through DAC include your driving record, work history, criminal background and credit. That doesn't mean most companies will access all of the information. Criminal and driving records are the two things almost all carriers want to check. The only time your credit might come into play is if and when you become involved in hauling high security cargo, such as for the military. That is something you are not likely to worry about just starting out.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question For Recruiters (Long)

Mark;

First Off, Welcome to CAD!!

We have a recruiter who goes by the handle "Sheepdancer" who could best answer your questions. He'll most likely check this thread, and I believe that you'll find his advice to be quite sound.

I can't address this issue in professional terms, but I will tell you that back when I drove, I knew far more drivers with trashed credit than I did those with solid credit ratings. There are also many drivers who, like you, have found themselves displaced from their previous careers, and have been left to deal with the fall-out. In short, there are many drivers who found themselves in your position; you are not alone.

Company sponsored training programs can offer some benefits but there are also drawbacks to them. Once you are indentured to any company, they essentially own you; they have you by the b@lls, they know it, and many of them do not hesitate to squeeze them whenever they feel like it. In looking for a way out of one trap, you are quite vulnerable to falling into another one. Before you sign on with any company, you might check with your state's workforce commission; some states will provide funding for training for displaced workers. Many Community College programs work with state governments in this capacity as well.

I would also strongly suggest that you get your butt checked into Dave Rammsey's "Financial Peace University" , and listen to Dave's show every chance you get. I know that may seem like you're locking the barn after the horses have already escaped, but it can help you develop better strategies for rebuilding your finances, and clearer perspectives for restructuring your life in a more positive fashion as well. I require all of my employees to attend FPU, whether they think they need to, or not.

One more point to consider: Stay away from any "Lease/Operator" or "Lease/Owner" programs offered by ANY company. Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous comapnies out there who target people with bad credit for their "Fleece" programs. They'll paint very rosy pictures about the allure of being able to make big money very quickly. All too many people, feeling a sense of desperation, will pin their hopes on them, and live to regret it.

C.R. England and Prime, Inc. are both notorious for those practices.

BOL2U!!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply Gman. That gives me a better feeling about how to proceed with this career change. I have met all the other requirements regarding criminal history, never taken drugs and have a squeeky clean driving record and only two different employers over the last 32 years. It's just my perfect credit is about to be trashed. I am probably going to the Watkins Shepard Trucking School. They pay well for 1st year drivers and I avoid that month in a truck with a stranger while trying to sleep in a moving truck. Thanks again for the insight.

Mark
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Useless, (is that right?). I've heard some of the Dave Ramsey stuff. Don't know that much about it. My financial problems however weren't the result of credit mismananement, at least from my point of view. Just the constant bleeding from lack of income since 2005. It's expensive to be in my current business and that return on investment has been less than zero due to the current credit and housing crisis. The only recourse has been acquiring debt just to stay afloat. I've been in real estate for a long time, at that is just the nature of the business. You borrow through the hard times and pay it back when times are better. With the current economy, as related to housing market being what it is, there is no longer time to wait for things to get better. The downturn has been going on much longer than the headlines indicate. I'm really looking forward to working in the trucking industry. Just working hard and making a living is going to be a huge boost to my ego.

Your thoughts are however appreciated.

Mark
Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar
Useless, (is that right?).

Yes, that IS right, "Roadster"!!

I took the handle "Useless" because that's what my wife, my daughter, and my dispatcher all used to call me, so I took it as my handle.!!

I've heard some of the Dave Ramsey stuff. Don't know that much about it. My financial problems however weren't the result of credit mismananement, at least from my point of view.

I'm not suggesting that they are, Mark. The vast majority of bankruptcies are caused by catastrophic medical expenses; good people, living good lives, who had bad things happen to them. THe reason I stress FPU so strongly is that, as I pointed out, it is a powerful tool in helping people rebuild. Remember, this sin't a matter of rectifying the misfortunes of the past, and carrying on; this IS an issue offering you new ways of thinking, and giving you to see that no matter the past, your best days can still be ahead of you.

"Financial Peace University" is about far more than balancing a checkbook or managing a budget. It is also about Spiritual health, and happiness, as well as giving you the strength to hang on during the tough times.

What you will discover is that true financial peace isn't determined by income, but rather by developing sound perspectives. That's why I require people who work for me to attend FPU; if they don't, then they won't understand how I think, and without that, getting everyone on the same page becomes impossible.

Just the constant bleeding from lack of income since 2005. It's expensive to be in my current business and that return on investment has been less than zero due to the current credit and housing crisis. The only recourse has been acquiring debt just to stay afloat. I've been in real estate for a long time, at that is just the nature of the business. You borrow through the hard times and pay it back when times are better. With the current economy, as related to housing market being what it is, there is no longer time to wait for things to get better. The downturn has been going on much longer than the headlines indicate. I'm really looking forward to working in the trucking industry. Just working hard and making a living is going to be a huge boost to my ego.

I also work in the Real Estate business, so I know some of the things you are going through.

Your thoughts are however appreciated.

Mark
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
My question is do trucking companies look at credit scores and bankruptcy status when assessing whether or not they will hire you?
Companies will not check credit to bring you on as a driver, unless you are looking to do a lease purchase. In a word, don't.

Schools, on the other hand, probably do check your credit.

Sheepdancer used to recruit for JB, then moved out solo and fell out of touch with us. I'm not sure I've seen him around for several months now.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Rookie

Twilinght Flyer, since I'll be paying cash and not financing the school, I wouldn't think my credit would not be an issue to the school.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I've seen sheepdancer online a few times, but he hasn't posted in awhile.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar
Twilinght Flyer, since I'll be paying cash and not financing the school, I wouldn't think my credit would not be an issue to the school.
I'm not able to be as active here at CAD as I once was, so I was unaware of the fact that Sheepdancer was not as active as he use to be.

Roadster;

Since you are planning to pay cash for your training, check with your local community college district; It's been a few years since I drove, but I know that many of them offered driver traiing programs for significantly less that the Commercial Wholesale Freight Relocation Universities (a.k.a. "Diploma Mills) charge.

Now, that was back when Diesel was about $2.00 per gallon so things may hav changed.