User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DOT Medical Card

I have question.. this company i just joined is talking about they might have to shut their doors (they hired me 2 weeks ago i wish i would of know this ****,) but i have somewhat of problem.. When i went to swift's orentation before i got this job they gave me a DOT Card for 3 months, they said i need a sleep study based on my size, i told them i didn't suffer from any of the symptoms but due to my size they said i need one.. so this question i have is there any company that small or big that could proabaly work with me on this problem.. sleep studies cost over 3,000 and i don't have that type of money..once i have the insurance to get it i'll pay for it, but has anyone ever had this problem or know somewhat of a solution??
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I wasn't sure the rule had gone into effect, yet. Basically, if you are over a certain weight for your height, you are required to have a sleep apnea test before you can get your medical card to drive. Supposedly, there are a lot of drivers who are over weight not getting proper sleep due to sleep apnea. t is thought this has been the cause of some truck accidents.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Default Re: DOT Medical Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
I have question.. this company i just joined is talking about they might have to shut their doors (they hired me 2 weeks ago i wish i would of know this ****,) but i have somewhat of problem.. When i went to swift's orentation before i got this job they gave me a DOT Card for 3 months, they said i need a sleep study based on my size, i told them i didn't suffer from any of the symptoms but due to my size they said i need one.. so this question i have is there any company that small or big that could proabaly work with me on this problem.. sleep studies cost over 3,000 and i don't have that type of money..once i have the insurance to get it i'll pay for it, but has anyone ever had this problem or know somewhat of a solution??
I remember there was a free program down here in so.cali my cousin took that paid for it.I think they even compensated him for the time./ Do you know what the weight limits are?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have no idea. You may give OOIDA a call in the morning. I am sure they could tell you. They are a good resource.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

awake in america has a free program called the sleep study relief program

you might want to start looking into it now. after reading the FAQ, it can take up to 30 days after you turn in your application for approval.

the website was slow to load for me, but readable :? hth
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Board Regular

how big are we talking about here?? Just curious
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: DOT Medical Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
I have read about companies using doctors for DOT physicals who own sleep centers and push drivers to get tested. As long as you are sure that you are not sleep deprived, have you considered paying for another DOT physical at a local clinic out of your own pocket?

I know you said that you don't have apnea but if you are still tired after getting out of bed or nodding off whenever you sit down during the day you should get a study done asap. I know of skinny people who have apnea and overweight as well. Being overweight and snoring cause the soft tissue to block your upper airway while you sleep. And you may have it and not know it.

If you wake up regularly coughing and gagging when you sleep on your back, then the chances are really good that you have sleep apnea. The problem is when you are sleeping and your oxygen saturation drops below the normal range, it puts stress on your heart, can cause high blood pressure and you actually choke in your sleep. Sometimes it's not enough to wake you up but this can happen 30 times or more an hour, and you don't ever get into the deep restfull sleep cycle that you need to stay alert throughout the day. Hopefully you don't have it and can be reevaluated by a doctor that is familiar with the DOT rules.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Leave it to a Fireman to come out with a reasonable and accurate explaination of what, why and how.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Leave it to a Fireman to come out with a reasonable and accurate explaination of what, why and how.
Once an EMT, always an EMT.

...and don't mess with the man's stapler. :shock:

Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I was tossing and turning all night long...I must have sleep apnea.......or I was just up way to late last night......or I woke up way to early this morning...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I know it isn't hemmroids...cuz I'm a perfect A___________!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: