User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default And now for something completely different...

Good afternoon folks,
As you may note this is my first post of any type. I have been lurking about for the past couple of weeks trying to read and learn as much as I can so as to avoid asking too many "dumb" or redundant questions.

I have determined with the help of so much information provided here and elsewhere, combined with a lifelong desire, that professional trucking is something I would like to do. Not "try",,,, "do". I'm 51 years old, so still plenty young to take advantage of another 50 or so.

From what I've read and researched it appears that for me (located in the Orlando area) that Roadmaster Training is the reasonable choice. I've seen good and bad about them, but all in all I think they'll be fine by me. I'm fortunate as to not have to use their insane finance program so that in itself keeps $1500 in my pocket. (Cr*p,,, with interest rates like that how could ANY bank go under?)

Many areas that I've had questions on are addresses throughout the board here, but so many of them seem to be anecdotal that it's difficult to get a real read on some simply because everyone is normal and gets emotional when they feel slighted.

What I'm gettin' at here in a clearly ponderous manner is that I have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered in broader terms rather than narrow. I'm asking those that might respond to share with me their years of knowledge, not neccessarily a singular incident.

1) Roadmaster of course promises the world as far as getting my work once graduated. It seems that their attitude is that everyone (on their list) is always hiring and I'll be working for my choice of a few companies the day after graduation. Hmmm... Too good to me true?

2) In looking at the various companies touted by RM, I seem for varying reasons to have narrowed it down to a few US Xpress, Werner, Swift and Stevens. What would your overall opinion and/or knowledge base be on these companies? And please feel free to rate them in order if you like.

3) Although I do have a family (kids are 15 & 20), we've talked and are prepared (as can be) for me being gone for extended periods. Every company seems to indicate how concerned they are for your "home time or family time", but what is the reality? Is being gone 10-18 days at a shot then home 2 to 5 the pipe dream it sounds to be? If I'm gonna be out 20 to 25 at a time, I can deal with it, I'm just interested in what the real world is.

4) Regional or National. For all the lurking and reading, I just can't seem to get a grasp on why one would be better than the other. I must be missing something. I mean heck, I'm in Orlando, so unless there is some incentive otherwise I'd just as soon avoid Rocky Mountain snow storms and stay in the Southeast.

5) Thanks to you all for the info provided up to now and in the future. I do look forward to joining you on the roads for years to come. And by the way,, if you wanna know what I did with the first 51 years of my life, just ask. It's been cool and fun,,, but it's a long way from truckin'...

ron
Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to CAD, rwd407. I can't give you personal experience with the carriers you mentioned in your post, but I can offer a few suggestions. You live in an area that is often difficult to get home with many carriers. I suggest you call each of the carriers and talk to them to see if they can get you home when you need to do so. I would also suggest you find a truck stop and talk with some of their drivers. Your best source of good information is from those who are working for a carrier. I seem to recall a truck stop just south of Orlando on US27. It may actually be considered in Orlando. There are also some truck stops on I-95 around St. Lucie. There is a TA and Pilot at Wildwood on I-75 just north of the turnpike. There is a Flying J on I-4 and just north of Tampa on I-75. There is a Pilot between Tampa and St. Petersburg. Since I don't know exactly where you live those are some truck stops around the area. Some may be a bit of a drive for you. There used to be an old truck stop just off I-4 across from some Publix grocery warehouses. I don't recall the name. I haven't been down there in a while. Good luck with your new venture.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Training/Employment

Roadmaster Training! You can do better. Check into community colleges in Florida offering driver training. Among others, Washington-Holmes in the Panhandle. Bradford-Union in the Stark area, and FCCJ ($2200) in Jacksonville. You'll probably have more than $1500 left in your pocket after going thru a CC. The training is better too. If you're hell-bent on going the commercial route, National has a campus in Green Cove Springs having better training than Roadmaster. The last I knew their cash price was a little under $3000. Good point GMan made about getting some face time with a driver. The cost of a cup of coffee can get a lot of info.
1) Roadmaster of course promises the world as far as getting my work once graduated. It seems that their attitude is that everyone (on their list) is always hiring and I'll be working for my choice of a few companies the day after graduation. Hmmm... Too good to me true? Yup. You should know before you start school who you want to drive for. No background checks will be done until you show for orientation usually.

2) In looking at the various companies touted by RM, I seem for varying reasons to have narrowed it down to a few US Xpress, Werner, Swift and Stevens. What would your overall opinion and/or knowledge base be on these companies? And please feel free to rate them in order if you like. Werner and Swift a toss-up, but better than the other two. Stevens will run your butt into the ground and doesn't pay that well. With Wemer and Swift, they each have three divisions so if you don't like pulling one kind of wagon, you have two more choices before leaving the company.

3) Although I do have a family (kids are 15 & 20), we've talked and are prepared (as can be) for me being gone for extended periods. Every company seems to indicate how concerned they are for your "home time or family time", but what is the reality? Is being gone 10-18 days at a shot then home 2 to 5 the pipe dream it sounds to be? If I'm gonna be out 20 to 25 at a time, I can deal with it, I'm just interested in what the real world is. Unless you've been in the military, your family will NOT be ready for your absence.

4) Regional or National. For all the lurking and reading, I just can't seem to get a grasp on why one would be better than the other. I must be missing something. I mean heck, I'm in Orlando, so unless there is some incentive otherwise I'd just as soon avoid Rocky Mountain snow storms and stay in the Southeast. A reason to go national is to get your driver resume filled out. There's a difference in pulling over the Rockies and the Appalachians. I'd rather drive in a northern plains blizzard than the potential of black ice near the Mason-Dixon Line or points south. Won't even go into the difference between the San Fernando Valley or Manhattan. BOL