User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Speeding tickets on driving abstract

Long story short, I am looking at my abstract and it's showing me that I have 2 speeding tickets from 2 years ago, the second of which is major (80/70, 85/70, respectively).

What I want to ask is:

A) If I understand correctly, neither offense will actually prevent me from obtaining my CDL. Do I have this right?

B) How much of a negative impression will this have on a potential employer, and what, if anything, can I do to mitigate this effect? I imagine it can easily be a barrier to receiving a job offer but may not prevent me from finding employment.

While I've read up a bit on this subject as it's been posted, I'm still not very clear on how this will affect me, and I like to be well researched. If I were a recruiter, I'd look at my own abstract and consciously or subconsciously flag it as 'slow learner'.

I thank those who take the time in advance for their advice. This was my dumb and I promise not to flame anyone for calling it the same thing I am. :lol:
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

No the tickets will not prevent you from getting a CDL, but they are going to make finding a job tough, especially since one of them is a 15 mph over.

One or the other would be able to be overcome but both together makes it really tough.

Your best bet, before spending the time and money going to school, is to start looking up companies that hire student drivers and start asking them questions and see who might be willing to work with you, but don't get disappointed when you hear a lot of No's or you need to wait until at least one if not both are 3+ years old.

Once they both hit that 3 year mark though some doors would start opening, assuming that this is the only problem with your history.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Your best bet, before spending the time and money going to school, is to start looking up companies that hire student drivers and start asking them questions and see who might be willing to work with you,
NO NO NO!

You're supposed to fork out the money BEFORE doing any research, then when nobody will hire you, you're supposed to come back and complain about it!!!! :rock:
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
No the tickets will not prevent you from getting a CDL, but they are going to make finding a job tough, especially since one of them is a 15 mph over.

One or the other would be able to be overcome but both together makes it really tough.

Your best bet, before spending the time and money going to school, is to start looking up companies that hire student drivers and start asking them questions and see who might be willing to work with you, but don't get disappointed when you hear a lot of No's or you need to wait until at least one if not both are 3+ years old.

Once they both hit that 3 year mark though some doors would start opening, assuming that this is the only problem with your history.
Thanks, man. Was contemplating this, earlier, and realized that I won't even be out of the vo-tech until Feb. 09 (it's just shy of a six month program). These two are the extent of my infractions, though, and they'll both be three years old coming up pretty quick.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Your best bet, before spending the time and money going to school, is to start looking up companies that hire student drivers and start asking them questions and see who might be willing to work with you,
NO NO NO!

You're supposed to fork out the money BEFORE doing any research, then when nobody will hire you, you're supposed to come back and complain about it!!!! :rock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, seriously, this might not even be the kind of job I'm cut out for, but if I am going to do it, then I'm going to do it right. Making excuses for something obviously boneheaded on my part will not accomplish that end.

I did ultimately hope to be able to get a job with someone like Crete, however, and regardless if the insurance companies will be aware of this by the time I'm ready to start working or not, it's going to make a negative impression.

So far, it isn't seeming like an insurmountable problem, but certainly not an auspicious start.

Suffice it to say? If you're PO'd at your soon-to-be-ex and driving cross country? You STILL have to watch for speed traps. :lol:
Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Dear Site Administration,

Can we please add a forum called something like "I have a bunch of speeding tickets/DUI's/felony convictions (insert other serious offense here) and now I want to drive a large, heavy commercial vehicle in heavy traffic and endanger the motoring public because (insert lame excuse here)" to put all this stuff in one place so it can be ignored? Could you then start a sub-forum entitled "you law-abiding, responsible citizens who don't have a bunch of speeding tickets/DUI's/felony convictions (insert other serious offense here) have no right to judge me/it was along time ago" so we could ignore that, too?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD

Can we please add a forum called something like "I have a bunch of speeding tickets/DUI's/felony convictions (insert other serious offense here) and now I want to drive a large, heavy commercial vehicle in heavy traffic and endanger the motoring public because (insert lame excuse here)" to put all this stuff in one place so it can be ignored? Could you then start a sub-forum entitled "you law-abiding, responsible citizens who don't have a bunch of speeding tickets/DUI's/felony convictions (insert other serious offense here) have no right to judge me/it was along time ago" so we could ignore that, too?

HWD:

LUV IT!!!!

I noticed that you left something out....

"Failed Drug Test, Please Help!!

Was this an oversight on your part?? Or do you think we should have a separate sub- forum for those??

That was an EXCELLENT IDEA!!
:rock:
Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD

HWD:

LUV IT!!!!

Was this an oversight on your part?? Or do you think we should have a separate sub- forum for those??

Why? You'd just troll those threads, too. 8)
Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbell
Quote:

HWD:

LUV IT!!!!

So, what makes you say that, MaxBell??
Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbell
Quote:

HWD:

LUV IT!!!!

So, what makes you say that, MaxBell??
Because THIS was an earnest question posted to a new users forum.