User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DAC Report

Have a question concerning my son's Dac report.He recently quit driving,after my husband's death.On his Dac it states under work record unauthorized location-W/O Notice.Is this the same thing as abandonment of a truck?Just doing some checking in on this.Thanks for all of your help.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Yep, that exactly what it means.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Board Regular

http://dacfix.com/
Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Don't go to DACFIX. They'll charge you a couple hundred bucks to do what you can do yourself with a couple minutes on the phone. All they do is put a rebuttal on your DAC report, they don't get anything removed.

What your son needs to do is get it removed. But that'll be hard to do. If the company came and got the truck or it wasn't left where it was supposed to be left, the unauthorized location without notice will not get removed. He can put his rebuttal down, but most companies will want to see the reference changed.

First thing he needs to do is call the company and see if they'll change the reference. If they won't, then he needs to call DAC and challenge it, assuming he has a legitimate challenge. Then he simply has to wait and see what happens. If the company doesn't provide proof to DAC that it is a legit reference, it is automatically taken off. If they do provide proof, then it stands and he has to live with it.

It's a pretty simply system.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 AM

I have 2 of those reports on my dac. one is w/notice and one is wo/notice and ive never abandoned a truck!! I've been able to find a job. Companies that actually care about and know their drivers realize that DAC is nothing but BS and large companies seem to abuse the service. All DAC is good for are big companies that need to screen bunches of drivers without ever getting to know them. Ive learned that if a company uses DAC you probly dont want to work there anyway. Just my opinion
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can I get one more in there?

:rolleyes:

It's been hashed out here a hundred million times. DAC works the way it is supposed to work 99% of the time, but it's the 1% of the time that it doesn't, that drivers key on.

Any company worth anything uses DAC to fill in job history and save time, but will (and is required to) send a fax to any job the driver has been at in the last 36 months. Those faxes will invariably contain the exact same information listed on the DAC, so it falls back to the driver to challenge any erroneous information.

As far as abandonments go, the rule of thumb is that if the company has to expend any labor or dollars to retrieve the equipment, whether that is from your front yard, a truck stop, the side of the road, or even a non-dispatch company terminal, they will tag you with an UNAUTHORIZED LOCATION either WITH or WITHOUT NOTICE. That is an abandonment...DAC services do not have the word ABANDONMENT as an option.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedder View Post
Ive learned that if a company uses DAC you probly dont want to work there anyway. Just my opinion
Right on flatbedder! I have made that statement numerous times on here and agree with you wholeheartedly.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

You guys might want to be looking for a new line of work then. If you think things are tough now, you ain't seen nothin' yet. In the next 6 to 12 months, the small company will very nearly cease to exist and all you'll be left with is large companies...

...companies that use DAC.

Again, this bears repeating.

Quote:
Any company worth anything uses DAC to fill in job history and save time, but will (and is required to) send a fax to any job the driver has been at in the last 36 months. Those faxes will invariably contain the exact same information listed on the DAC, so it falls back to the driver to challenge any erroneous information.
You guys don't seem to understand that DAC is nothing more than a pre-FAX, containing the same information that a standard fax is going to show. It simply streamlines the hiring process. If a DAC report comes back with no issues (and they usually do), the company already has a head start on hiring the driver. However, when more and more companies start waiting the full 30 days to return an employment verification, something they are legally able to do thanks to the new FMCSA rules, you might be singing a different tune.

Imagine it this way. You are driving for Company A and it suddenly goes out of business. You apply to Company B, which doesn't use DAC, but they will not hire you until they have received your faxed verification of employment back. Company A will not return the fax until the full 30 days have elapsed. So what are you going to do during the month you do not have a job and cannot get a job?

My point is, DAC, for whatever flaws it has and it does have some, helps in far more cases than it hinders. I'm not arguing the fact that a couple of companies abuse DAC to screw a driver, but a smart recruiter or company already knows who those are.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

I do agree with you regarding DAC as an information repository TF. I also tend to see your point that mostly DAC is used for the purpose for which it was originally intended. However, we do tend to see a number of instances on this board where it would appear that the DAC report has been used as a means of retaliation by a company. Of course, I realize that there are certainly two sides to these stories and will admit, that after we have looked a bit deeper in to these stories, we usually find that there was some sort of fault involved with the driver. That said, my point was aimed more towards the whole usage of DAC and the companies that utilize the service. I have found since my short stint with the mega-carriers, that I haven't seen the use of DAC since in my career. The employment opportunities that I have been presented with since that departure have, in my opinion, been miles above any that I see offered by the larger (read DAC) carriers. This is only my take of course in my small world.

All small companies gone in 6-12 months? Are you serious TF? First I had heard of that. Are you sure you don't need me to bring you a Snickers bar?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I'm not saying all of them, Belpre. I'm saying a lot of them. The first 90 days in '09 are going to set records for number of companies going out of business. And the first to go are traditionally the smaller outfits.