User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Some good responses, thx for those...keep 'em coming.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 AM

Hmm...well, ok then. I guess this tells me with over 800 views to this post that not very many drivers are making $45k per yr, or they jusy didn't want to leave a post.

I have a tendency to believe the reason is theres not very many drivers earning a min of $45k a yr. That's pretty sad. And disturbing.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 AM
Default Re: Any 1st Year Drivers Making at Least $45k yr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawHAMMER
I'm doing a little research and would like to ask about 10 questions relevant to you first yr drivers. The research isn't for any publication or anything like that, it's for my own "note-2-self" project I'm currently working on and pertains to first year drivers only at this time.

How 'bout we keep this pretty simple:

1) If you're grossing $45k a yr as a first yr driver, did you go to a truck driving school? YES or NO

2) Multiple choice question...You drive OTR, Regional or Local?

3) Do you primarily run NE, SE, SW, NW, Midwest or elsewhere?

4) How many miles per week do you drive on average? If you're paid by the hour, how many hours per week are you paid to drive?

5) How often do you get home? For how long?

6) What kind of product(s) do you generally haul?

7) How many trucks does your company have?

8) Would you recommend your company to another driver? (assuming your a happy camper)

9) If you could have any driving job in the transportation industry, what would it be?

10) If you were asked to answer some questions about your job and the trucking industry in front of a mixed panel of students, professionals, educators and blue collar individuals, what would you say about the industry if you had to sum it up in one sentence? Good, bad, love it, hate it, it sucks, you take alot of pride in it, you'd quit if you could, stay in school, be a doctor instead, ....whatever. Let 'er rip.

Thx for your time and happy trails!

1) yes i went to a truckdriving school no i will not make anywhere near 45000 my first year my DM hates me

2) OTR

3) rarley west of the miss mostley SE to SW up to PA- Ohio areas

4)1000-1500 no im not happy about it

5) I stay out for a month go home for 3-4 days my DM has never hit my target date

6) all kinds , paper rolls , groceries , pop ,

7) The most of all

8) Although I am not happy and am in the process of making a change i would reccomend the company and ill tell ya why. Evidentley i pissed off my DM when i bitched about my trucks (2) being in the shop more than being driven by me making money. i know the option to chang DM's is out there but how can I trust the guy sitting next to the guy that has an issue with me ? I cant. I talk to other drivers in the company who have no problems and are getting miles so i guess its my DM. Im of the attitude right or wrong if i feel im getting screwed for no reason i make a change.

9) I absolutley without a doubt found the job i will die doing. Ive been a restaurant manager/owner for 20+ years completley changed my life at 41 years old and do not regret it. Ive had trouble where i am yes thats true but theres alot of companies out there all i want is miles. the company im going with in about 1-2 weeks (smaller) will get me the miles then the whole ordeal will pay off. I dont look back I look forward.

10) Yes i would talk about it if asked ive had problems with the company i started with but its a very big industry. With everything there is good and bad and ive seen a bit of both BJS

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

1. Prorated I should make about $55,000 for the whole year. No school

2. OTR

3. Everywhere

4. 2500-3000

5. I stay out about 10 days then home for 2

6. Oversize and legal flatbed

7. 90 including the o/o's

8. I don't recommend my company even though I love it here
Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Default Re: Any 1st Year Drivers Making at Least $45k yr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawHAMMER
I'm doing a little research and would like to ask about 10 questions relevant to you first yr drivers. The research isn't for any publication or anything like that, it's for my own "note-2-self" project I'm currently working on and pertains to first year drivers only at this time.

How 'bout we keep this pretty simple:

1) If you're grossing $45k a yr as a first yr driver, did you go to a truck driving school? YES or NO YES.... SWIFT SCHOOL

2) Multiple choice question...You drive OTR, Regional or Local? UM.... I GUESS REGIONAL BUT DEDICATED

3) Do you primarily run NE, SE, SW, NW, Midwest or elsewhere? SE

4) How many miles per week do you drive on average? If you're paid by the hour, how many hours per week are you paid to drive? 1800-2000

5) How often do you get home? For how long? GUARANTEED WEEKENDS, HOME SOME WEEKNIGHTS

6) What kind of product(s) do you generally haul? PAPER PRODUCTS

7) How many trucks does your company have? 12,000+

8) Would you recommend your company to another driver? (assuming your a happy camper) YES...BUT ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE

9) If you could have any driving job in the transportation industry, what would it be? HMMMMM.... WELL PROB ICE ROAD DRIVER (LOL, J/K)

10) If you were asked to answer some questions about your job and the trucking industry in front of a mixed panel of students, professionals, educators and blue collar individuals, what would you say about the industry if you had to sum it up in one sentence? Good, bad, love it, hate it, it sucks, you take alot of pride in it, you'd quit if you could, stay in school, be a doctor instead, ....whatever. Let 'er rip.

....IT'S NOT A JOB OR CAREER, ITS A LIFESTYLE. ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE, AND IF ITS NOT FOR YOU, YOU PROB WONT DO WELL.

Thx for your time and happy trails!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Board Regular

1) If you're grossing $45k a yr as a first yr driver, did you go to a truck driving school? YES or NO

yes and yes

2) Multiple choice question...You drive OTR, Regional or Local?

mostly line. some local, some OTR

3) Do you primarily run NE, SE, SW, NW, Midwest or elsewhere?

northern and southern cal and surrounding

4) How many miles per week do you drive on average? If you're paid by the hour, how many hours per week are you paid to drive?

2000-2500 but i am paid %

5) How often do you get home? For how long?

just about every weekend. sometimes in on friday out again sunday evening

6) What kind of product(s) do you generally haul?

military freight, structural steel, and other flatbed freight.
highbed, stepdeck, RGN, curtainvans and rarely 48ft dryvan

7) How many trucks does your company have?

40 or so

Would you recommend your company to another driver? (assuming your a happy camper)

i do and i have

9) If you could have any driving job in the transportation industry, what would it be?

this one, or linehaul doubles for LTL or Grocerystore

i needed a good paying job with the very little marketable skills that i had.
i found it with this company. i got lucky. i knew someone who got me into this place and trained me out of school to drive flatbed.
I know theres alot of guys out there who bust hump 70 +++ hours a week and spend way too much time away from there family while getting screwed by their company. i feel for them. but, i am also grateful that i did not have to pay my dues with any coolie carriers.