User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift, Schneider, or Werner? Please help a rookie out.

I once read a comment someone had left someone else somewhere on these message boards that went something along the lines of:
"Choosing a trucking company is like choosing your wife, its all about whose sh!t your willing to put up with."
Something like that.

As some of you may know from some of my previous post that I have been applying with some of the bigger companies out there. Swift called me and gave me the scoop on what they have to offer.
Werner called me earlier today and very briefly explained to me the training they have there.
I sent in an application for Schneider yesterday through the mail because their website would crash everytime I started filling out an online application.

So what im trying to get to is I would really like to hear stories of those who have gone with either of these companies. What kind of sh!t did you have to put up with? What would you have done different? Do you regret your decision? What did you learn out of it?

Also I need to know what kind of questions I should be asking these companies. Swift was a lot more detailed than Werner was with me so right now Swift is at the top of my list until I hear back from Schneider.

I know I will have to start at the bare minimum of about 26 cents a mile, and im fine with that.
I have a girlfriend who already told me she wouldnt wait for me so I could care less about what she does with herself. I have no kids, im 24 years old, and im living with my mother.
Sorry for the cliche, but I REALLY do want to see the rest of this country. Chicago sucks. Liberals everywhere. Liberal haven. Im sick of it.
Im definately doing OTR. Im hoping that somwhere along my journey I find myself a nice little town that I can move to sometime in the future and build a life and possibly a family.
But for now and the next few years to come I want to dedicate them to the road. God knows I need to get out of this city, and I need the money.
Thanks to all of you in advance for taking the time to read this post, and replying to it. And I hope to bump into some of you fine gentlemen out there. Thanks again, and God bless.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Swift, Schneider, or Werner

Swift - dry van and flatbed. OTR or regional.
Schneider - dry van, OTR, regional, or rail
Werner - dry van, temp controlled, flatbed. OTR or regional.

The point is, you might want to start with a company that has more than one division so if you don't like one type pf wagon, you got at least another shot at something you may like without leaving the company. Wouldn't necessarily settlle on a company starting at $.26/mile all other things being equal. Sometimes it's not what you start at, but where you'll be in a year. BOL
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Board Regular

You should take a good look at Roehl, they start at 30 cents per mile, and go up from there on dry van. They also have a terminal in Gary, IN.

Been here for 8 months now, and I have few complaints. Most issues I've run into here are the same that everyone across the industry complains about...

And, we have dry van, reefer, flatbed, and curtainside.....
Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

Swift also offers a lot of dedicated reefer.

If I were an outsider looking in, after reading a lot of the posts here, my impression would be the only big difference between the companies you mention is the color of the truck.

I've been with Swift over 4 years. I could have left a million times for a million different aggravations. To be honest, I'm very happy with the miles and especially happy with the variety of assignments. I could be making more elsewhere but I don't know that I could be any happier.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, most people don't talk much when they are happy with their company. They do vent when they are unhappy. Any of the carriers you mentioned would likely be a good starting point for you. If they didn't have more happy drivers than unhappy they would not be the size they are. You don't get big by making your employees unhappy.

You can find fault with any of them. You are not going to be happy with any carrier all the time. There will be things you dislike. It is a matter of working through the those difficulties.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Unfortunately, most people don't talk much when they are happy with their company. They do vent when they are unhappy. Any of the carriers you mentioned would likely be a good starting point for you. If they didn't have more happy drivers than unhappy they would not be the size they are. You don't get big by making your employees unhappy.
You can find fault with any of them. You are not going to be happy with any carrier all the time. There will be things you dislike. It is a matter of working through the those difficulties.
C'mon GMAN, I thought you knew better than to make a statement like that. With turnover rates at near or over 100%, these companies are replacing their entire fleets each year and then some. They stay big by having massive recruiting departments and bringing in starry eyed newbs like our OP truckermandude.

Has anyone ever worked for Dot Foods? From what I've seen on their website, it looks like they may train new drivers out of school. I drive by their signs every day (Cambridge City, IN) exit 137 off I-70. Their pay looks like $.47/mi. and $50K first year guaranteed. Their hometime appears to be home weekly. They have a terminal in Mt. Sterling, IL. Looks like they offer tuition reimbursement.

I would check out their website and give them a call.

www.dotfoods.com
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

If your in the Chicago area, I'd definately check out Roehl in Gary!
Maybe even ask to talk with someone there at the yard.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Dot foods also has a terminal in Chicago.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

I worked for swift for about a month after my training and quit after that.The reason was their low miles and BS runs(9-20 miles from shipper to their yard).I did my best on getting miles so i can bring a good reasonable paycheck and wasn't able to.Opportunity came and picked up my dads trucking business and im running right now as an independent.I understand not everyone can have something like this but my advice for you is to look very carefully at this and weigh you options good.There are many companies out there with some better than others.At swift the only thing i got good from there was my improving in shifting and driving.All at their cost in their shinny volvosBesides that,their managers,dispatchers threat you like nothing ,not recognizing who is the actual asset to the company: the driver.

I hope you'll make a good decision.Good luck!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Swift, Schneider, or Werner? Please help a rookie out.

Out of those three? My advice......Schneider......stay away from the other two.....just my opinion....Good Luck!

TruthAboutTrucking.com