User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default n00b with questions

I got my cdl on march 3 2008. Originally I got my cdl with the hopes of driving a dump truck, it was never my intention to drive otr but every company asks for 2 years experience when I tried applying. Ever since receiving my cdl license I've been working delivering parts driving a van to pay the bills. Being that I only make 350 a week I've been thinking of going to work for werner. They say they offer additional traning for 6 weeks and that I could have a local run in as soon as 6 months. Being that I haven't driven a semi since march I'm almost certain that I'd need the training and also due to the fact that I was taught with a semi-automatic. Does anyone if the trainers teach you how to drive manual transmissions? I wouldn't wanna get fired for grinding gears. Also how about backing up to a dock would they refresh my memory on how to do that? How much money should I expect my first year doing regional then switching over to local? I'd wanna do this for 2 years then drive dump trucks that's my goal. Thanx in advance
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Board Member

maney companys may take you don't pin all your hopes one just one, check them all out. As far as the training goes The trainers pretty much expect some problems as long as you show improvement and are safe you should be ok. A good trainer will sit in the jump seat and talk you though every manuver, a bad one will stay in the sleeper and use you as a cash cow ( team training)As far as the local run in 6 mo :lol: don't count on it ! If it happens great but it very well may not! Pay??? It depends on so many things, Cents per mile, miles per week, extra stops ect ect also a big one is how long you want to stay out at a time, the longer out uselly the more miles but things are a little slow right now too.First full 12 mo driving you should do $35-45 or more but doudt it. It takes awile to get used to life on the road and become effeicent at time manegment
What is Warner offering you? BOL
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah it's definitely doable to be driving local after 2-yrs of OTR.

Werner is one option. They may have some dedicated-regional routes for you after 6-months so that you could get home more often.

I went national with Roehl for 6-months, then dedicated-regional with JB Hunt for 1-year before landing a local driving position.

How much will Warner charge you for the "additional training"? They may not "charge" you a dime. However, they may expect you to stay with them for 6-12 months--otherwise they will charge you for the training. Make sure you know up front what "additional training" will/might cost you in the long run -- no matter which carrier you decide to pull for.

Best!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Board Regular

whatever you do, do it fast.
don't let that CDL get stale. if you haven't driven a truck since march you may have to pay up for some sort of refresher course before a company will look at you.
honestly, tho, if you want to drive big rig you're most likely going to have to take it on the chin and start at the bottom OTR and put in your time. that's the most reliable way to get the experience necessary to get the job you really want.
I'll put in my personal plug for Scheider. They were always professional when I was working there, and they have a good training program for those willing to listen. Some may say they shove you out too fast, but i was glad that i didn't have to spend 6 weeks with a trainer. 2 weeks in the classroom, 2 weeks on the road, and that's the minimum to get your truck.

what kind of driving opportunities also depends on your location. if you're in a major lane, you have a lot of options. if your in BFE, you may only have the 2 weeks OTR available to you.