User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbies Questions about OTR Training

Hi all, Just a newbie with some questions about what to expect when I go out for on the road training with a trainer. From some of the posts I've read, I realize that space is a problem. So what is recommended to bring for on the job training. How can I avoid ticking off the trainer with useless junk brought on board? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Also, is it allowable to bring a smallcooler so that I can keep food and bev. expences down while on weekly training pay?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

You pretty much need to expect to have to contain your personal stuff to your bunk which is roughly the size of a twin bed. Depending on the exact make and spec's of the truck you are in you may or may not have much storage space, so plan on pretty much living out of a bag that can be easily moved to the passenger seat while you sleep. Anything other than a bag or two will pretty much have to stay on your bunk with you while you sleep.

You really need to focus on the essentials when packing. A weeks worth of clothes, toiletries, bedding, OTC and prescription meds, etc. You should try to get everything, with the exception of your bedding, into two bags. One large one and one small one. The small one use for your toiletries (you can also put extra stuff in there for transport purposes) and the large one for everything else. Do not use suitcases. Use duffles that can be collapsed.

As far as bedding goes, probably the easiest to deal with is a sleeping bag. You can also roll up a thin sheet in the bag in case you end up sleeping while it is a bit warm in the truck. Of course dont forget a pillow.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:34 AM

Lets see...

You'll be out a month, so bring 30 days worth of clothes. And you might run into bad weather, so bring enough to change a few times a day. You'll also want gym shoes, work boots, shower sandles , dress shoes for when your trainer takes you to dinner, and a couple of spare pairs in case yours get wet or muddy. All of this should fit nicely in a steamer trunk.

Other necessities would be a 54" flat panel TV, a hand gun, enough hand tools to fix the truck if it breaks down, a dozen cartons of cigarettes, enough food to last you a month, a full sized fridge and microwave and 4000 watt inverter to power them, a good guard dog, enough booze to cover you for the month, any illegal drugs you normally take, and a girlfriend so you don't have to pay for lot lizards.

If your trainer has a problem with you taking up so much space, either show him the handgun or sick the dog on him. That should solve any problems.

And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Daylight
Lets see...

You'll be out a month, so bring 30 days worth of clothes. And you might run into bad weather, so bring enough to change a few times a day. You'll also want gym shoes, work boots, shower sandles , dress shoes for when your trainer takes you to dinner, and a couple of spare pairs in case yours get wet or muddy. All of this should fit nicely in a steamer trunk.

Other necessities would be a 54" flat panel TV, a hand gun, enough hand tools to fix the truck if it breaks down, a dozen cartons of cigarettes, enough food to last you a month, a full sized fridge and microwave and 4000 watt inverter to power them, a good guard dog, enough booze to cover you for the month, any illegal drugs you normally take, and a girlfriend so you don't have to pay for lot lizards.

If your trainer has a problem with you taking up so much space, either show him the handgun or sick the dog on him. That should solve any problems.

Guess I missed the part where his trainer was a HHG guy with a super-deluxe extended condo sleeper cab! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Guess I missed the part where his trainer was a HHG guy with a super-deluxe extended condo sleeper cab! :lol: :lol:

Nah, that will all fit in a Freighliner Centruy. If you rip the trainer s bunk out and make him sleep on the catwalk.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Newbies Questions about OTR Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaCrakr
How can I avoid ticking off the trainer with useless junk brought on board?
By strapping yourself to the hood. Keep the useless junk outside the truck.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
You pretty much need to expect to have to contain your personal stuff to your bunk which is roughly the size of a twin bed. Depending on the exact make and spec's of the truck you are in you may or may not have much storage space, so plan on pretty much living out of a bag that can be easily moved to the passenger seat while you sleep. Anything other than a bag or two will pretty much have to stay on your bunk with you while you sleep.

You really need to focus on the essentials when packing. A weeks worth of clothes, toiletries, bedding, OTC and prescription meds, etc. You should try to get everything, with the exception of your bedding, into two bags. One large one and one small one. The small one use for your toiletries (you can also put extra stuff in there for transport purposes) and the large one for everything else. Do not use suitcases. Use duffles that can be collapsed.

As far as bedding goes, probably the easiest to deal with is a sleeping bag. You can also roll up a thin sheet in the bag in case you end up sleeping while it is a bit warm in the truck. Of course dont forget a pillow.
Thanks for the post. Being a scuba diver, I knew not to bring hard-sided luggage on the training trip. I figured on bringing a weeks worth of clothing with the thinking that I'll be able to do some laundry along the way. Some of the things you mentioned was helpful suggestions and easlily forgotten at home.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Lets see...

All right, that was hilarious, especially that last part!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good thing I'm the only one here...I can clean up my Dr. Pepper without people asking me what the hell I'm doing.

:lol:

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Daylight
Lets see...

Yes these things are what should be posted in my next topic post- Trainers, what does newbies bring on training trips that tick you off?