User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default tanker driving??

HI

Is there tanker driving where all u do is drop and hook? No loading or unloading? I mentioned in another thread im looking for trucking that is ez on the knees. Can you avoid ladder climbing that u see on all the tanker trucks?? Would they hire a newbie driver for this gig?

thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Board Member

First off, tanker driving is not for the inexperienced. Do you know what happens to your stopping distance when that tank starts surging? Or how much more of a task you have on your hands when you find yourself on an icy road?

As for drop and hook, where do you get this nonsense from? Perhaps there are some out there, but every tanker job I'm aware of is live load and unload, which requires you to lug around hoses, unload the tank yourself, and then you have to climb on top of that thing to make a visual inspection to ensure that you don't have product remaining in the tank.

I don't know where you get your information from, but it is just plain wrong.
As for hiring a newbie driver, don't count on it. And, rest assured, you don't want it.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
. And, rest assured, you don't want it.
Jeff

Are u a tanker driver? Is it that bad??

hehe
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
... Perhaps there are some out there, but every tanker job I'm aware of is live load and unload, which requires you to lug around hoses, unload the tank yourself, and then you have to climb on top of that thing to make a visual inspection to ensure that you don't have product remaining in the tank.

I don't know where you get your information from, but it is just plain wrong.
As for hiring a newbie driver, don't count on it. And, rest assured, you don't want it.
I believe the 1st part of what you said is a little mistaken. My understanding is that a live load/unload just means that the tank has to be loaded while the driver is there. It can be anything from the driver waiting while the shipper/consignee's employees do the actual loading/unloading up to the driver doing the whole thing. Live load just means loading vs: picking up a pre-loaded tank, and live unload is opposite of just dropping off a tank.

And I have a friend on a dedicated tank run who never touches a hose or make a connection.

For Crunchyknees, yes there are companies that will take on a newbie and train them to be a tanker driver.

However, I don't think you're going to find much in the way of a trucking job that is real easy on the knees. Just climbing into a van trailer will involve using your knees. And as a newbie, you'll have to have a very lucky horseshoe tucked stuck in you somewhere to get any real cushy job out there.

Good luck.

Rockers Rule!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Just speaking from my own experience. Perhaps other companies and customers had people to take care of the unloading for you, but I've never been to one. I always had to do it myself, as far as the unloading goes. As for putting the product in the tank, no, I've never been responsible for that.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Most tanker trailers aren't equipped with landing gear that can support a loaded trailer, so a drop and hook job isn't too likely. All the tanker jobs that I know of the driver does most of the loading.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Most tanker trailers aren't equipped with landing gear that can support a loaded trailer, so a drop and hook job isn't too likely. All the tanker jobs that I know of the driver does most of the loading.
Where did that fact, about the landing gear, come from. Find and read the threads posted by Cyanide, both here and on the Trucker's Report. I can't count the number of times he's mentioned dropping a loaded trailer at a consignee.

I know for a fact that the local asphalt company preloads trailers for the road drivers. They have a yard jockey who pulls out the loaded trailers, drops the landing gear, and spots a empty in the loading spot. I was told that when I applied for that job lst year.

Finally, I watched 2 Superior Carriers drivers swap loaded trailers at one of the local truck stops just this past Friday. It was so one could get home and the other get a good run over the weekend. I know they were loaded because I talked to the 2 drivers.

Obviously a poster's rank of Supertrucker only reflects his posting count, not his experience and or knowledge.
:roll:

Rockers Rule!!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Most tanker trailers aren't equipped with landing gear that can support a loaded trailer
Since when :?:
Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I'm scheduled to do a drop next week.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonup
Where did that fact, about the landing gear, come from. Find and read the threads posted by Cyanide, both here and on the Trucker's Report. I can't count the number of times he's mentioned dropping a loaded trailer at a consignee.
I don't need to read someone else's post's to get my information. You might? I don't

Quote:
I know for a fact that the local asphalt company preloads trailers for the road drivers. They have a yard jockey who pulls out the loaded trailers, drops the landing gear, and spots a empty in the loading spot. I was told that when I applied for that job lst year.
Yep, asphalt company's most commonly use solid bore tanks. Those can be dropped.

Quote:
Finally, I watched 2 Superior Carriers drivers swap loaded trailers at one of the local truck stops just this past Friday. It was so one could get home and the other get a good run over the weekend. I know they were loaded because I talked to the 2 drivers.
I watched 2 lesbians go at it, does that mean I had a threesome?

Quote:
Obviously a poster's rank of Supertrucker only reflects his posting count, not his experience and or knowledge.
:roll:
I've had 2 breakdowns were I had to physically transfer product off of my trailer into a spare trailer to because my landing gear was not strong enough to support the weight of the product the way that is was loaded.

I didn't say "ALL". I said "MOST" tankers, but I probably should have specified a certain percentage so certain people would understand. I would go into this further and why some trailers can be dropped and other can't but I'm guessing you have a lot of experience and already know everything?

We shared a terminal with another tanker company who hauled Lime Slurry. They could also not drop loaded.

Have a great day Super Truckers!