User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bunch of questions and some advice needed

Instead of making like 3 different posts im just going to make this one. First off, I work with Werner and have several posts here. Since it has been 6 months since ive had the truck, I am little more knowledgeable about some things and some stuff I posted about werner is a little off now that I see the big picture.

In 6 months with my own truck so far at werner, I went from 280k miles on the truck to 327k. Now for 6 months thats 47k miles, which is more then I thought. So I average almost 2k miles a week. It still is low but it feels like its much less but I guess its not. Now after taxes I average around 350 bucks a week.

Idle time is rediculously high. My dispatch tells me my idle % is 53% and that if it goes any higher I will be fired. I understand fuel is so high, but I think this is drastic. For example, I get this load, friday, that is 100 miles from the reciever that delivers monday because their not open on the weekends. So I must sit all weekend, 48 hrs.

How in the hell can u lower idle % when ur layed over weekends all the time in south carolina in 100 degree temps! Im in a black peterbilt 387 with only those tiny pathetic windows at the top of the bunker. It is impossible to stay cool. Also idleing the truck doesnt work that well because my bunk AC does not work.

Is there anyway to protect myself to stay cool without being fired?

Also, I recived my first ticket while in ohio. It was mid day and just started to mist and a cop pulls me over and writes me a ticket for no headlights on in inclimit weather. Now does this hurt my chances of getting a new job? Do I have to inform Werner of this? Do I put this on an application for a new job? If so in moving or non moving violation section?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Check your driver manual, it will tell you what when how of reporting tickets. Simple answer - you are supposed to report tickets. Simple suggestion anytime you turn your wipers on - turn your lights on.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Default Re: Bunch of questions and some advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaddon
In 6 months with my own truck so far at werner, I went from 280k miles on the truck to 327k. Now for 6 months thats 47k miles, which is more then I thought. So I average almost 2k miles a week. It still is low but it feels like its much less but I guess its not. Now after taxes I average around 350 bucks a week.
There's no way to put this lightly: those numbers suck. Even with the economy down, you should be doing better than that. Make sure you are doing everything you can to maximize your efficiency and always deliver on time and be available for the next dispatch. If your already doing that, then bide your time for tthe next six months, then get the heck out of there.

Quote:
How in the hell can u lower idle % when ur layed over weekends all the time in south carolina in 100 degree temps! Im in a black peterbilt 387 with only those tiny pathetic windows at the top of the bunker. It is impossible to stay cool. Also idleing the truck doesnt work that well because my bunk AC does not work.
freeze, fry, suffer, but don't ever get the flase belief that the company cares about you.

Quote:
Is there anyway to protect myself to stay cool without being fired?
roll the windows down (now theres a safe idea,) use your oversized paycheck to rent a hotel (it'll work if you don't feel the need for food that week,) Sleep in the truckstop TV louunge like a vagrant (they love that) or suffer.

Quote:
Also, I recived my first ticket while in ohio. It was mid day and just started to mist and a cop pulls me over and writes me a ticket for no headlights on in inclimit weather. Now does this hurt my chances of getting a new job? Do I have to inform Werner of this? Do I put this on an application for a new job? If so in moving or non moving violation section?
I'm not sure how Werner would look at this. As for other companies it depends. Generally they won't jack you up over one ticket, especially a minor. And they won't bug you at all on an equipment ticket. Now weather this is an equipment ticket or a moving violation depends on how Ohio reports it and how the company in question reads it. Either way, it's one minor, I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep your nose clean now and all will be fine.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless you are under contract with Werner I would suggest you start looking for another job.

As far as keeping cool/reducing idle time when laid over there are a few things you can do.

Use 12v or battery powered fans. Wal Mart sells some pretty powerful fans that run off of D batteries and will run for hours. If you also buy a battery charger, and a couple of sets of recharchable D batteries, and an inverter you could charge the batteries while the truck is running.

Spend more time in the truck stop and only run the truck at "night" when you are sleeping.

Find and use Idle Aire.

As far as your ticket goes and reporting it to your company you need to look at your driver's handbook and see what it says. Some companies want to know ASAP about any tickets/fines and others only about convictions. As far as listing it on a job application you need to find out if this is a moving violation in your home state. Most likely not, but you need to know for sure. If it is not a moving violation then I would not worry about listing it.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Use 12v or battery powered fans. Wal Mart sells some pretty powerful fans that run off of D batteries and will run for hours. If you also buy a battery charger, and a couple of sets of recharchable D batteries, and an inverter you could charge the batteries while the truck is running.
At Wal-Mart last night I came accross in the RV section a new product that is a fan with rechargeable batteries and includes a 12v plug and a 110v wall outlet plug. I think it cost around $50 but it should serve you well. I have the older version that only runs on D batteries or a 12v plug and it works very well.

Part of the problem is that the AC on those Pete 387 is underpowered anyway, and without the bunk portion you toast anyway. If you had a truck with a decent bunk AC you could run that all day with the curtain closed and have a bunk that was around 50 degrees to crawl into at night. You could get several hours of sleep without idling that way.

Now when you are stuck in 100 degree heat all weekend you are going to have to idle some. But I turn the truck off any minute that I can during the week to save those minutes for idling on the weekend when I want them. Face the fact that turning the truck off for five minutes every time you go to check in at a shipper will not affect your comfort, but will give you five minutes to idle later on and be comfortable.

You could go to Home Depot and get some styrofoam insulation and insulate the interior of your truck to keep the heat out as long as you like pink for an interior color. Be sure to use double sided removeable tape so you can get it off later. :lol:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Board Regular

Look back over your logs for the past few weeks and tell me how many line 3 and 4 hours you report, (total on duty hours) per week . . How does a Werner Driver look back over his logs?

I'll also need your gross pay per week, your home State and the location of the terminal you work out of.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: "" Unless you are under contract with Werner I would

suggest you start looking for another

job.""" :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

..............................................BINGO........................................
WE HAVE A WINNER...!!!!!!!

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Yor're pushing a rope trying to figure out why some of these companies
are shortsighted idiots when it comes to common sense issues
for the drivers who make them their money.

Get a little time under your belt and look for a respectable carrier

that has Tri-Pac units.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Default Re: Bunch of questions and some advice needed

Quote:

Idle time is rediculously high. My dispatch tells me my idle % is 53% and that if it goes any higher I will be fired. I understand fuel is so high, but I think this is drastic. For example, I get this load, friday, that is 100 miles from the reciever that delivers monday because their not open on the weekends. So I must sit all weekend, 48 hrs.

How in the hell can u lower idle % when ur layed over weekends all the time in south carolina in 100 degree temps!
$350.00 after taxes for all that.

No idle for 48 hours?? ops:

1.LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB MAKE SURE YOU GIVE 2 WEEK NOTICE FIRST.

2.Look for companys with APU's.

3.Try to drive all day and sleep at night.

Good luck to you :lol: