User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tyson plant in Garden City, Ks

Anybody ever been there? Was surprised to see it when I went past there yesterday. Is it a chicken plant? Reason I ask is that there were no chicken houses to be seen in that area which struck me as kind of strange. Hell of an isolated plant if you ask me.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that one does beef or pork meat and not chicken? We never picked up at that one but we did go to several beef plants in Garden City and Dodge City so I know what you're talking about.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Rookie

The Tyson plant you refer to is actually in Holcomb, KS. It is a BEEF plant. There is a EXCEL BEEF plant in Garden City, KS on US 50 east. You would be amazed at the location of some of the beef, pork and chicken processing plants. After Tyson bought out IBP several years ago, they closed some of the smaller locations. These were in small towns in Kansas and Nebraska. They were pretty much the only employment for those people and with the closure's, the town's died. I can't count the number of plant's i have been to in the past 15 yrs.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks. Never even new that Tyson also did beef and pork.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Santafe is partially correct. Tyson is in Holcomb and Excel (now called Cargill Meat Solutions-just a name change, not an ownership change) is in Dodge City on East Hwy 400. Both are beef plants and are not considered isolated per what they do. They are both in the heart of beef country.

The other large beef packing plant in the area is National Beef in Dodge City, with another location in Liberal. This company was very recently bought out by JBS Swift from Brazil, pending gov't approval. Before the buy-out Tyson was 1st, Cargill 2nd and National 4th or 5th. JBS held one of the other 3 thru 5 spots. If the purchase goes through it will be JBS Swift 1st, Tyson 2nd and Cargill 3rd, with JBS doing almost as much processing as Tyson and Cargill put together. Scares me that one company can control so much of our food supply, whether a native company or not.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Runner
Santafe is partially correct. Tyson is in Holcomb and Excel (now called Cargill Meat Solutions-just a name change, not an ownership change) is in Dodge City on East Hwy 400. Both are beef plants and are not considered isolated per what they do. They are both in the heart of beef country.

The other large beef packing plant in the area is National Beef in Dodge City, with another location in Liberal. This company was very recently bought out by JBS Swift from Brazil, pending gov't approval. Before the buy-out Tyson was 1st, Cargill 2nd and National 4th or 5th. JBS held one of the other 3 thru 5 spots. If the purchase goes through it will be JBS Swift 1st, Tyson 2nd and Cargill 3rd, with JBS doing almost as much processing as Tyson and Cargill put together. Scares me that one company can control so much of our food supply, whether a native company or not.
Yeah no kidding, but then it also scares me how much of our food and stuff comes out of China and they are trying to poison us and sending thousands of spies over here to check out the companies etc. I really think they need to ban all that stuff coming out of China and work more with companies back home, but yeah I know: money...they (companies) want to produce as cheap as possible and don't care if people or pets die because stuff gets messed up in China :roll: