Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
But idling in upstate New York when it's -5f IS optional?
Nope, not optional one bit...I was just using hot weather as an example, that's all...

When my APU was put on, my company reset the ECU on my engine, taking away the ability to idle. Theoretically, the APU's supposed to keep the engine warm...but I do NOT trust it as far as sub-zero temps...I expect to get towed a couple times next winter......

Yeah, in that weather, I wouldn't shut the truck down either...
Ahh - ok. So it's ok to idle when it's -5f. What about if you're in El Paso, TX in the middle of August and have to sleep during the day when the temp outside is 105f in the shade?

Not everyone can go without heat/cooling the same. Myself, I need temps between 60-75 when I won't idle unless there's a hot sun beating down during the day. Other than that, sorry, I believe in comfort. If I'm not comfortable, I can't sleep. If I can't sleep, I'm a danger on the highway.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Board Regular

I don't think I made myself clear on that...

What I should have said was that I agree when it comes to idling for a reason...there are many, many circumstances where idling is important to stay comfortable...I'm not talking about sucking it up and dealing with awful conditions here...we all live out here and it's important to stay comfortable.

I just don't like the idea of running the engine for the sake of running the engine...like so many drivers like to do...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAtrukn
Be happy they dont charge you for idle time like May does
How about you finish that comment?

"...after reaching a 30% idle time for that week unless you ask for idle time extensions due to extreme weather."
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
Well, let's figure this one out....

Say you run 10,000 miles in a month, that should put your engine time at ~200 hours for the driving time...so you take that and add half of that to your total, that means you idled 100 hours.

100 hours of idling would burn ~150 extra gallons of fuel...which would cost the company something like $600 extra EACH MONTH!

IMHO any idle time even approaching that is downright rediculous. Way too damn often I see drivers who just will not shut their truck down for anyone. Going in the truck stop for a meal, showering, fueling, waiting...cold out, warm out, nice out...daylight, dusk, dawn, night...ALWAYS IDLING. This is WASTE.

Take a night out where it gets down to 50-60 degrees...perfect sleeping weather for most...and walk around the truck stop...a good 1/3rd of the trucks will be idling...for no reason whatsoever.

Does Werner provide you with a bunk heater? That's one way to cut down your idle time. I never idle more than I absolutely have to...just doesn't make any sense to waste that much money.....
There is no one size fits all for idling. What works for you may not work for someone else.

What if someone was idling because they were sick and needed extra heat a 60 degree night did not give them? You don't know what's going on in every truck. Of course some people idle, but you appear to paint a very broad stroke.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Myself I work for Werner and they are putting APU on all new trucks and it just takes time to get them all out there on the road. I drivers they are firing for ideling are the ones who you will see in a truck stop or term for 3 hours goofing off and there truck is out there idling for no reason. Alot of people think just cause they drive for a company and the company pays for the fuel that they don't need to do there part on saving fuel cost, but alot of people don't see that if the company is burning up $$$$$ on fuel for no need idling that you the driver don't see anymore money for you the drive on raises and fuel bonases. if you just shut your truck off when your not in it or sitting at a shipper when weather permits you can bring your idling down alot.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I spent last night in a pilot in Arkansas Of the 15 trucks in my row 12 were idling. It was 60 degrees out. I have been from Calgary to Arkansas in the last two weeks and haven't had to idle the truck one night. I am not bragging I am just saying that I do see alot of foolish idling.