User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default School update

OMG, I am extremely unlucky for some reason.

I decided to stick with the school. I know, it's not the wisest decision but, I was already almost finished when more crap happened. Here goes:
Passed my yard, then, my ankle started acting up. Took my pre-trip in the school basement, I passed that too, amazingly enough, it's hard to do that when there isn't a truck in front of you. The sad part is that they let me go because I had to have the hardware removed from my ankle. I broke it last May and they placed 7 pins and a plate in it, darn thing was broken in two places. So, I started my road class and my ankle was throbbing and had little mobility. I was limping and could barely walk. The doctor said one of the screws was too long and the others were backing out. I healed so well that my body was literally rejecting them. So, had surgery two weeks ago and the school said I could come back and start over where I left off. This has certainly been a frustrating experience. Oh, they also have the school bill collectors calling me, even though they said I was on hold until I was medically cleared to go back.

Can I exhale now? :P
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

That sounds really rough

However you sound like a stick- with- it, kinda a person. Way to show them that you don't quit. The trucking industry as well as many others have their ups and downs, sometime more downs then up. Glad to hear that your healing. The faster the better, right now is a really good time to get hired, busy time and well the weather is some places is nice. Granted there are weather challenges all year long, from extreme heat to extreme cold.

Way to go EviLynn,
Don't give up.
Trukrswyfe
Old 04-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
That sounds really rough

However you sound like a stick- with- it, kinda a person. Way to show them that you don't quit. The trucking industry as well as many others have their ups and downs, sometime more downs then up. Glad to hear that your healing. The faster the better, right now is a really good time to get hired, busy time and well the weather is some places is nice. Granted there are weather challenges all year long, from extreme heat to extreme cold.

Way to go EviLynn,
Don't give up.
Trukrswyfe
Well, it all kind of worked out, my ex boyfriend's father is dying and I am helping care for him in his final days. He was the closest thing to a father-in-law to me and it's almost like this was meant to happen. Granted, this is one of the hardest things I have ever done, I enjoy the fact that I can be there for his family. My ex was the love of my life (so far), we are best of friends and he deserves no less from the people closest to him. He works full time and so does his mother and new girlfriend, I am available and his father knows me. I helped take care of him for six years when we were dating, it's just the right thing to do. This has made me even angrier at the insurance companies, they sent him home to die because they stopped paying. Thanks goodness for hospice care eh?

I figure if I can get through this and the school, I can at least have a better attitude when I am out there actually driving. It's all about building character and keeping things in perspective.

I am still looking for edible thongs, in case I can't get a cooler for my truck right away. :wink: :P
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Here's some pics from surgery, including the boot I have to wear.

Das boot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Picture067.jpg

Left side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Picture071.jpg

Right side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Picture072.jpg

How I feel about my crutches

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Picture077.jpg

This is how I feel about taking the state exam

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...cture902-1.jpg

I am the one on the left, my friend on the right is also concerned about my state exam. Cloverfield also scared the crap out of us. :lol: :lol:
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM

you go, girl!

Having broken EACH of my ankles more times than I'm going to mention here, I kinda understand. Fortunately, they were all simple breaks, so no poking and digging needed. Just wrap it up, put it in a boot, and gimp around. Gotta love military doctors.

From your pic, I deduce I am.. um.. a little older than you are. A bit of advice the doc may have not provided. Start taking Glucosamine Chondriten (I may have mis-spelled it, bottle's upstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it).

Traumatic injuries have a tendency to result in arthritis. There was a time when I had to take 1600Mg of motrin just to get up in the morning. My mother suggested Glucosamine, and after about 6 months, the pain was manageable. In a year or so, there was no pain at all, and the Motrin was relegated to .. non-use.

As for the rest of your life (as seen on TV).. I don't think I could care for somebody like that. That takes a tremendous toll on the care giver, and I'm not willing to put up with it. My wife, on the other hand.. yeah, she could do it. She can do anything she sets her mind to, and she's as patient as the stars (has to be, to stay married to me all these years)

I'd call the school, see if something can be done about their accounting department bugging you. If they won't work with you, maybe you should salute them and try a different school.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
you go, girl!

Having broken EACH of my ankles more times than I'm going to mention here, I kinda understand. Fortunately, they were all simple breaks, so no poking and digging needed. Just wrap it up, put it in a boot, and gimp around. Gotta love military doctors.

From your pic, I deduce I am.. um.. a little older than you are. A bit of advice the doc may have not provided. Start taking Glucosamine Chondriten (I may have mis-spelled it, bottle's upstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it).

Traumatic injuries have a tendency to result in arthritis. There was a time when I had to take 1600Mg of motrin just to get up in the morning. My mother suggested Glucosamine, and after about 6 months, the pain was manageable. In a year or so, there was no pain at all, and the Motrin was relegated to .. non-use.

As for the rest of your life (as seen on TV).. I don't think I could care for somebody like that. That takes a tremendous toll on the care giver, and I'm not willing to put up with it. My wife, on the other hand.. yeah, she could do it. She can do anything she sets her mind to, and she's as patient as the stars (has to be, to stay married to me all these years)

I'd call the school, see if something can be done about their accounting department bugging you. If they won't work with you, maybe you should salute them and try a different school.

Thanks for the advice on the glucosamine, we happen to have some here too. As for the caregiving, I am only there a few hours a day on the weekdays. My ex and his mother work different shifts and I am there when there is the gap between shifts. His father gets his meds before I get there, I just have to check on him, make sure he is comfortable and leave him be. He watches tv and can't really speak, he has a trac in his neck and is doped up on morphine. I basically have to be there to make the call if he goes, I would rather it be me than his family.

I will call the school Monday, have to call them anyway to update them on my status. I just want to get through this and have a whole new set of things to complain about. :wink:

At least I will be getting paid for it. 8)
Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
That sounds really rough

Way to go EviLynn,
Don't give up.
Trukrswyfe
Well, it all kind of worked out, my ex boyfriend's father is dying and I am helping care for him in his final days. He was the closest thing to a father-in-law to me and it's almost like this was meant to happen. Granted, this is one of the hardest things I have ever done, I enjoy the fact that I can be there for his family. My ex was the love of my life (so far), we are best of friends and he deserves no less from the people closest to him. He works full time and so does his mother and new girlfriend, I am available and his father knows me. I helped take care of him for six years when we were dating, it's just the right thing to do. This has made me even angrier at the insurance companies, they sent him home to die because they stopped paying. Thanks goodness for hospice care eh?

I figure if I can get through this and the school, I can at least have a better attitude when I am out there actually driving. It's all about building character and keeping things in perspective.

I am still looking for edible thongs, in case I can't get a cooler for my truck right away. :wink: :P
oh you remembered, ops: :lol:
I know my advise seems less important than others. heehee. :wink:

Those pictures were awesome, I mean very painful looking. I have a much bigger scar but they did the inside stitches to mimimize the appearance, It a foot long or better from the knee to mid shin. Not much you can hide. Your leg brace looks very much like the only I used though, the velcro always ruined the inside thigh pants on the other leg.
I was eleven though thank God, I handle pain a lot worse now that Im thirty, just follow all rehab instructions, not good to over due.

Thanks for the update, I always wonder what happens to people I read about.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Rookie

I admire your determination
Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Board Regular

EviLynn...Keep your dream of driving alive. You will drive but right now other things in life are more important. I had to come off the road 3 months ago to move half way across the country to help care for my 84 year old father who has Alzheimers. Not exactly the way I saw my life going but it had to be that way. I thought for sure my trucking career was over but now I am finding out that my mom can handle things here at the house. I can go back out but more regional. I just need to be closer when things go down hill.