User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default management career in trucking

Hey guys. I'm a former OTR driver and I will soon be graduating with my college degree. I love the industry and I am strongly considering going back into it on the management side. I was wondering if any of you knew the best way to go about doing this or which companies have good management trainee programs. I realize this is a forum for drivers, however I don't know where else to go to get the answers I seek. Truckign will always have a special place in my heart and I hope that I can make it a better place for drivers by working in management.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

Well the first step in getting into management in a trucking company is selling your soul to the devil!! Just kidding

Swift is the only company I know of that has a management trainee class. A think their is link to it off of the careers section on their main site. www.swifttrans.com
Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I know my company, Cardinal Logistics, has management trainees as we have one right now.

Nice kid, dont know shit about big rigs, but he tries hard and that is not a bad thing.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
Well the first step in getting into management in a trucking company is selling your soul to the devil!! Just kidding

Swift is the only company I know of that has a management trainee class. A think their is link to it off of the careers section on their main site. www.swifttrans.com
Thanks for the info. However, I don't think I'd want to work at a bottom feeder like Swift. I'd be afraid a company like that would put a mark on you that might keep you from getting hired by other companies later on. I might be wrong about that but I've heard too much bad stuff about Swift to ever wanna work there.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: management career in trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
Hey guys. I'm a former OTR driver and I will soon be graduating with my college degree. I love the industry and I am strongly considering going back into it on the management side. I was wondering if any of you knew the best way to go about doing this or which companies have good management trainee programs. I realize this is a forum for drivers, however I don't know where else to go to get the answers I seek. Truckign will always have a special place in my heart and I hope that I can make it a better place for drivers by working in management.

You know UofA- Fayetteville had a very good, well respected-- Transportation Management Program. And they offer Internships for Juinor/Seniors with JBHunt. Just for your info.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Trucking Management Career

JB Hunt Transport Inc has a management trainee program. When I worked for JBHT flatbed, their management trainees attended their driving schools to get a CDL. A recent college grad (a good looking blonde) with an industrial design degree was in the driver class I was in. BOL
Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would think that most of the mid to larger carriers have a training program of some sort. There are a number of carriers within your region. I am sure you could go into dispatching. It seems that many carriers will hire someone just out of college to be a dispatcher. If you have had otr driving experience, you would have an advantage over those coming out of college with no experience. You may check with your career center at your college. Most have contacts with companies and help finding suitable employment. Your best bet will to get on the phone and start making calls to carriers. There are several recruiters with different carriers on the forum who might be able to better direct you.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I would think that most of the mid to larger carriers have a training program of some sort. There are a number of carriers within your region. I am sure you could go into dispatching. It seems that many carriers will hire someone just out of college to be a dispatcher. If you have had otr driving experience, you would have an advantage over those coming out of college with no experience. You may check with your career center at your college. Most have contacts with companies and help finding suitable employment. Your best bet will to get on the phone and start making calls to carriers. There are several recruiters with different carriers on the forum who might be able to better direct you.
Thanks GMAN!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Most outfits do not require college degrees if you have the right kinds of experience and of course can communicate decently and of course are willing to take a pay cut over most drivers (even the new guys)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Most outfits do not require college degrees if you have the right kinds of experience and of course can communicate decently and of course are willing to take a pay cut over most drivers (even the new guys)
While there are some that don't require a college degree, some do, such as CRST and Heartland Express, which has a management trainee for college grads. I believe I recall seeing a college degree preffered by JB Hunt too. And while the starting pay might be lower, there is endless opportunity for advancement. Most drivers top out at 70 to 80K max. I would imagine there are directors of operations and VP's making much, much more than that. But more importnaly, I'll be home in my own bed every night, will be able to spend time with loved ones, able to pursue interests I have. One can't put a price tag on those things.

Having said that, I've been out there, and I know what it's like. As a fleet manager I must never forget the hard job my drivers are out there doing everyday. They don't get to go home at night, and see their wives and tuck their kids in at night. They should make more that me, and what they make isn't enough to compensate for the hard work and 80+ hours they put in every week.

I think understanding this is what will set me apart from most fleet managers. When they're homesick, I can empathize. When they are delayed due to traffic or a shipper backup, I'll understand. If the weather is too bad, I want them to shut down. I would never pressure a driver to continue when its unsafe. I would rather have to call a reciever and tell them their load is going to be late rather than tell them its in a ditch and won't be coming. For all the things that Prime might be bad for, they have a saying that has stuck in my mind: there's not a load to hot that can't cool down in a ditch. I think that's very true. I will want my drivers to run safe and run legal.

I don't want to be out on the road anymore, the lifestyle just is not for me, but I still love the trucking industry and have a heart for the drivers. I think management will allow me to stay in an industry that I love and have the lifestyle I want too. It's a perfect compromise.