User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default economy?

Are you OTR (company) drivers taking a hit on the economic slow down?
And what's average mileage for a beginning solo driver?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Default Re: economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania

The trucking company I was hired to work for has been down due to the Axle workers strike in Detroit (I hear some of these workers were making $70.00 and hour and do not want a pay cut) so freight is down.

Average miles?? LOADED QUESTION!! I was on the Schneider Walmart account for 15 months I started out around 1800 miles a week for the first 3 months.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
No.
Quote:
Whatever you want to hear, you'll hear. There are a ton of variables involved, so just read through all the crap and figure out what you believe. The local guys will tell you they get paid by the hour. The cowboys will say they drive 4,000 miles a week. The tanker and flatbed guys will remind you that miles aren't the whole story. The disgruntled folks will tell you that they get 1,000 miles a week and it's [PICK A NAME]'s fault. And so on and so forth.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Whatever you want to hear, you'll hear. There are a ton of variables involved, so just read through all the crap and figure out what you believe. The local guys will tell you they get paid by the hour. The cowboys will say they drive 4,000 miles a week. The tanker and flatbed guys will remind you that miles aren't the whole story. The disgruntled folks will tell you that they get 1,000 miles a week and it's [PICK A NAME]'s fault. And so on and so forth.
What he said!

When I got out on my own, I got 2500+ miles a week, and I still do! Much of this economic slowdown is media hype...things are definitely not moving forward economically, but we are by no means in a recession!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Hmmm...........very interesting. Could you give me directions to the America you live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
Quote:
What he said!

When I got out on my own, I got 2500+ miles a week, and I still do! Much of this economic slowdown is media hype...things are definitely not moving forward economically, but we are by no means in a recession!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
No.
Quote:

Dont worry about how many miles you get or how much you get a mile or how much you get an hour or how much percentage you get, look at how much in is your pocket on payday, that's what matters..
Old 04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnowhattodowithmylife
Much of this economic slowdown is media hype...things are definitely not moving forward economically, but we are by no means in a recession!

I am not sure where you are living, but there is indeed a recession going on in this country. Building is down, record foreclosures, freight rates are down which fuel is escalating, and hundreds if not thousands of owner operators losing their trucks each week. Some of the larger carriers are in trouble. If you are a company driver, you may not see as much of what is going on as an owner operator or those running their own authority. When building is down, trucking is off. We should see some improvement as the weather warms, but the entire country is in some stress at this time.

As to the original posters question about miles is concerned. You should find that most solo drivers run between 2,500-3,000 per week. During the slower winter months it can drop to as low as 1,800-2,200 miles per week.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

how much you get an hour or look at how much in is your pocket on payday, that's what matters..[/quote]

I dont agree...if I need to work twice as long to make the same amount of money. Its time to look elsewere.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnowhattodowithmylife
Much of this economic slowdown is media hype...things are definitely not moving forward economically, but we are by no means in a recession!

I am not sure where you are living, but there is indeed a recession going on in this country. Building is down, record foreclosures, freight rates are down which fuel is escalating, and hundreds if not thousands of owner operators losing their trucks each week. Some of the larger carriers are in trouble. If you are a company driver, you may not see as much of what is going on as an owner operator or those running their own authority. When building is down, trucking is off. We should see some improvement as the weather warms, but the entire country is in some stress at this time.
There is no recession. While the economy is showing signs of slowing it cannot be called a recession, yet. It may in the near future, but I think that is fueled more by the media and chicken little's perception that the sky is falling. If a rebate check can pull us out of this "recession" the individule going out and spending $500.00 of his own money will do the same thing and in the long run be much better off for the economy.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Default Slowdown?

I would guess we are technically and officially in a recession. It has happened before, and it will again. Kind of like kids. They have a growth spurt, then it tapers off. Every 5-10 years these downturns seem to come along. It never lasts. I think its just an unusual combination of factors this time. Fuel prices, housing/mortgage problems, tightening credit, and the never ending war in Iraq.

I wouldn't sweat this slowdown too much. I'm guessing it will run its course by the end of next year. That said, it would obviously be wise to be careful about personal spending.

It would also be wise to be careful in your choice of jobs. Some sectors in trucking are going to be more affected than others. If house building drops who gets hit a little harder ? The flatbedders hauling building materials. Also, some trucking companies will callously use the "hysteria" about this downturn. Come work for us, we're not affected by it. But everybody is affected by it. Nobody is immune.

I heard it said somewhere: Like all things, this too will pass. Personally, I'm glad that includes George Bush. He's good on defense, but he is lost on the economy. Much like his father.