User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
While I agree with Gman, that a trainer needs to have years of experience in order to be a trainer, I can understand the point of a new driver learning more as a trainer than as a trainee. But, there is a vast difference between driving a truck and flying a plane. If you encounter ice with a plane, it may be on the runway, but most likely it's on your wings. You don't have ditches, trees, and soft dirt to contend with, or road signs and other vehicles within 10 feet when flying a plane. Now, if you were to fly that plane between NYC skyscrapers, you might come closer. And, how many times do you back that plane into a loading dock? That difference requires more experience than in flying. Situations vary far more with driving, and inexperience gets into trouble.

However, there is at least one company that I know of that puts two trainees into the same truck for about six weeks after they both finish with their trainers. There may be some logic to that part of it.
A Trainers job is not to teach experience. Experience comes with time spent in an environment. The Trainers job is to teach the fundamentals of the trade. A Trainee or Trainer does not have to experience all situations to meet the objectives of a training program. A responsible driver will understand his/her limitations when entering an environment where there experience is low and adjust accordingly. When I "graduated" a student Pilot to Certified Pilot, one of my closing statements was always, "In the entire training program, I never taught you experience, my experience is mine. You are now able to achieve your own experience. Know your limitations and never out fly (or drive) them" All I taught was the fundamentals/academics/and skills necessary to aquire the certification.
Windwalker...Have you ever flown an airplane? Your statement comparing Driving and Piloting seems to undermine Piloting, and the abilities necessary to Pilot an airplane. Im asking this respectfully, not meaning to razz you.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Dont know if I mentioned it here or not but, I was a Pilot, (Commerical and Flight Instructor), In flying, the newly minted Commercial Pilots are pretty much useless to employers until they get experience. The easiest way for them to do this is to "teach" or become Flight Instructors to gain the experience they need. So like Truck driving, we have the fledgling teaching the "wannabe" the new occupation.
In a nutshell, the greatest attribute for a Trainer/Instructor is Patients and Temperment.
I didn't address the pilot angle. Many pilots who want to fly commercially do indeed get their hours by teaching. Most only long enough to get the hours needed to get hired by some commuter airlines. Then on to one of the major airlines after many more hours of flying.

The other point is is you have to have spent hours in training before you can even take the test to become an Flight Instructor. Yet a fresh out of school truck driver could become a trainer.

You talk about experience. Why can't that fresh out of school grad pilot get a job? Every company know it take a certain amount of experience before they can handle the many different thing a pilot has to handle beside making the plane go in the direction they want it to go. While it has been many years since I got my pilot's license I recall that even new Flight Instructor couldn't get hired my major pilot training school. I know when I started pilot training I hired one of these fly by night instructor and learned real fast that wasn't the way to go. In fact he damn near got me killed.

kc0iv
Old 03-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Well now....Drew10 & KC0iv have convinced me! I'm gonna quit the truckin industry and go become a "Flight Instructor" !!! Make the big $$$ !!! :P :P :P 8)
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Rookie
Default May Be Hijacking, But re: Pilots License...

...my two very best instructors were a guy who had been instructing since flying P-51Ds in WW II and a brand new instructor who barely met the hour requirements to be a CFI-II. Both were great teachers. I almost decided to finish my instrument rating with the young guy.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless the military has changed, IP's are chosen from graduating class of the level they are at. They are thinking that instead of bringing in the seasoned pros with their bad habits, the 'new guys' will have the fresh training in their mind, and will teach it that way. In short, they control what gets taught and how.

I'm a former pilot and ground school instructor (it got too rich for my blood). The thinking behind having ATP's being CFI's for a while is that with exposure to many different kinds of flight situations over a shorter period of time they should become better pilots.

Think about it for a moment, if you have ever trained anyone to do anything - Haven't you gotten better at it yourself?