User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A "public service announcement".....sort of...

Well folks...I just thought I would tell you what I saw in the last few days:

Charlotte, NC....they have a really cool and shiny Nissan 350 ZX that is painted a really pretty mid blue metalflake.....and they were "nailing" speeders with it on I-77 south of downtown. The "discos" are well hidden, so you can't tell its a cop car til he "lights em up". Windows are really dark too.

SC and NC, as well as VA have apparently bought a whole freakin' fleet of "plain wrappers"....and they are using them "earnestly". In VA, on I-95 between the NC line and about MM30....there were 5 plain wrappers working, and they were staying busy. The plain wrappers were working fairly hard in SC and NC on I-95 as well.

There were marked cars out too. Seems that they were set up so that after you got past the marked cars....you'd think you were safe, and then hammer on it..... Whooops, then the plain wrapper got em' :P They were nailing 4 wheelers hard!! (About time!!)

Also, I'd like to mention I saw a real "dumbass" the other day on my way around DC on I-95. All the signs state "Hazmat carriers use two right lanes". Been like that for years. I rolling north, I am pulling a tank with corrosive placards. I am in the center "right" lane (two from the shoulder), and there is this "bonehead" tailgating me.... and no...I'm not going to change lanes. I'm doing what I am supposed to be doing. Next thing I know....this "bonehead" whips around me into the third inside lane, where trucks are normally "legal".....however....he has TWO placards on his box.... one corrosive and the other flammable....he even stayed in that third inside lane for quite a while...tailgating cars and bullying them out of his way. I would estimate that he was probably running 70. A real "professional" and "spokesman" for the profession :evil:

For those of you with little or no experience.....please take note of the fact that "speeding" while driving a CMV that is placarded with "Hazmat Placards"....is very bad for your wallet and livelihood. I have seen the tickets where there is a little box....its right next to the word "Hazmat", and if you get nailed...he/she marks that box. The fine just went way, way up and the points as well. I can well imagine that if this guy had been stopped by the cops....it could have cost him his license. One "egregious" offense.....and a Judge can shut you down for good.

Come on folks....lets do it right, and do it safely, or not do it at all!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Rookie

That 350Z in Charlotte was on the news last week. They also have a Cobra they are using. Both were confiscated street racers.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Rookie

I know in Virginia on I-95 north of Richmond near the Hanover / Henrico county line, that the Henrico police have a minivan they use to pull speeders over. I used to commute from Richmond to Doswell everyday and saw it almost every morning with someone pulled over.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 AM

troopies in Colorado have a SUV, a pickup, a Lincoln.. and lord knows what else.

As for that bonehead around DC ( as opposed to the entire herd of them IN DC ) brother trucker or not, I'd have been on the phone in an instant. It's bad enough when somebody drives 85,000 pounds like a Miata, but when it's loaded with things that can go *bang* and eat your skin off, the driver is no brother of mine.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed
That 350Z in Charlotte was on the news last week. They also have a Cobra they are using. Both were confiscated street racers.
I figured it was that....or confiscated from a drug dealer. I know FL has some "nifty cars" they've confiscated...and they even put a sign on the doors saying the car was "provided courtesy of a drug dealer" :P Cops are getting sneakier all the time....and with the states in a bind for money....they are going to be very "diligent" about collecting revenue.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
troopies in Colorado have a SUV, a pickup, a Lincoln.. and lord knows what else.

As for that bonehead around DC ( as opposed to the entire herd of them IN DC ) brother trucker or not, I'd have been on the phone in an instant. It's bad enough when somebody drives 85,000 pounds like a Miata, but when it's loaded with things that can go *bang* and eat your skin off, the driver is no brother of mine.
I was going to make the call....but by the time I got a pen out to write down the trailer number...he was gone. I had really hoped that a cop would have seen him...and nailed his ass! I was worried that he would wreck, and shut down the road....but then I could have helped burn him to the ground.

I agree with you....a jackass driving a hazmat load like that is no brother of mine either!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Rookie
Default Md. SuV's

Here in Md. there are a lot of Black SUV's being used....I even saw an old pontiac bonneville the other day here in Frederick.

Something that happened to me yesterday that irritated me....I was driving my personal car westbound on 70 towards Hagerstown with the cruise set at 68mph...Limit is 65 so yea I was going a little over....Coming down the back side of a hill there was a Western Exp. Truck I noticed a ways behind me in the left lane trying to pass another truck...I changed lanes when he was still a good 100 yards behind me to give him the lane to pass me. We came out of that small hill and began to go up another slight incline. At that time he was on my left and beginning to loose momentum. I figured the best thing for me to do was stay the course as there was another truck behind me.

Well this guy layed on his horn for a good 5 seconds then started coming into my lane...The only traffic near was myself, Him and the other trucker behind me. I had to hit the brakes and got run into the dirt shoulder which was only about 4 feet wide and leading to a hill. Meanwhile the truck behind me slammed on his brakes and this jerk just flips me off and keeps going....

I was headed up to the truck stop to talk to a few people (being new and all It can't hurt) and in pulls the trucker that was behind me. He saw me talking to another guy and came over to say that he managed to get the info on the other trucker a few miles back as he had done something earlier to someone else....He said he had already called and spoke with a safety officer at the guys co. and advised me to do the same.....Oh well, guess it takes all kinds no matter what you're doing.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 PM

If you’ve got that drivers info (truck # location of incident etc) make the call, that will be at least 2 calls confirming the incident, get that driver off the road.
I called one of those “how’s my driving” numbers once on a Swift truck that was at the fuel island blocking me in for 15 minutes whilst the moron got his lunch at subway (really, he was) but the phone # went to some long winded voice system that didn’t even include safety, just recruiting and dispatch…5 minutes on hold and no answer.
Yes I shouted at the driver to move his truck, he still thought what he’d done was acceptable behaviour. :roll:
Old 03-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
If you’ve got that drivers info (truck # location of incident etc) make the call, that will be at least 2 calls confirming the incident, get that driver off the road.
I agree. Get the moron off the road....or at least give his safety people the grounds to pin his ears to his head. Do it before he kills someone.

Quote:
I called one of those “how’s my driving” numbers once on a Swift truck that was at the fuel island blocking me in for 15 minutes whilst the moron got his lunch at subway (really, he was) but the phone # went to some long winded voice system that didn’t even include safety, just recruiting and dispatch…5 minutes on hold and no answer.
I had a Covenant driver park on a fuel island and leave his truck....and I was trapped...at a small Pilot on I-16 in GA....you have to turn right very tightly into the fuel islands....means backing out is "blind"..... took the "fat-ass" almost 45 minutes too get back and move his truck. He had wandered off the Pilot property to go to Mickey D's...!! I was sorely tempted to do something .....but I am disinclined to possibly end up in jail because of a fool. I called Covenant....those "chickenshits" won't even answer their phones....they just use a recorder. Needless to say, I left "several" unkind messages.....don't know if it did any good, but frankly, I felt better.

Quote:
Yes I shouted at the driver to move his truck, he still thought what he’d done was acceptable behaviour. :roll:
Remember.... "Stupid is as Stupid does"..... and "what goes around, comes around".....his day of reckoning will occur at some point.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

Remember.... "Stupid is as Stupid does"..... and "what goes around, comes around".....his day of reckoning will occur at some point.
Absolutely.. the danger is, when his day of reckoning rolls around, what are the chances he'll take somebody with him?

Had a Werner do that to me some time ago.. on flat straight interstate. limit there is 75, and I was clipping along at 80 or so with my cruise on. Mr W was in right lane ... as I approached, some 200 feet behind, I *signaled* and moved left. No problem, right.

Ha! at JUST the point where I had nowhere to go (nose of my car about even with the tractor's drivers) he decides to pull over and pass slower traffic. I could see him in the mirror - he never looked, just moved over. I laid on the horn, but he kept coming.. I ended up in the median headed for a bridge abutment.

Fortunately the tall grass slowed my car down enough that I could get back on the highway. I followed that SOB for an entire 3 miles - right to the front gate of the Werner terminal. Raised a fuss and a half with security and ended up bending the ear of some guy in a suit. Showed him the grass still wedged into various nooks and crannies on my car, etc. He (probably sensibly) wouldn't let me near the driver, so all I can do is hope some action was taken.

In retrospect, I should have called the troopies, but not sure what they could have done without witnesses. I still felt better at the end of the day.