User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Strapping skids of shingles

I deliver skids of shingles locally and have a question about load securement. We deliver partial skids occasionally and when uneven skids are beside each other, the strap does not completely cover the lower skid, meaning several bundles of shingles are held by gravity. There is a headboard at the front. The only direction the shingles can move is backward. I've tried laying a bundle sideways, on the low skid, so it is covering the loose bundles and it, in turn, is held by the strap. Is this going to catch the eye of the DOT(MOT in Canada)? Is a bundle being held by gravity an insecure load even though it can only move backwards.
The bed is usually at capacity so there are times where skid height matching is not possible.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Board Regular

i would centre the tall skid in the middle of trailer, and the short skid behind that one, and put a strap over each.

seems more secure to me
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Board Regular

I'd do the same as you suggested. If it's in a full load try and put it where there is a full one behind it. Also load it on the drivers side so the scale won't see it right off the bat LOL
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 AM

In addition to the good advice above, you might also consider a lightweight Tarp if for nothing more to cover the front o the load and hopefully the Partial Pallet...
Some shingle loads we haul have the whole pallet covered by a single large lightweight plastic sack/bag - but word came down that we HAVE to tarp those loads. Seems those big Bags can work out from under a poorly tensioned Strap and wrop themselves around the windshield o that Mercedes that's been tailgating you the last 22 miles.... and any lawsuit demands the requisite Overkill Policy on securement. :wink:
Still - even a lightweight tarp can cover a multitude o sins.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

What about a roll of that plastic wrap they use for securing stuff to skids. Probably doesn't cost that much and would help with the problem.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM

it was touched on by Root - forwards into the cab isn't the only direction to worry about when the load starts to deviate from the trip plan. I'd go alonig with the suggestion that a short skid be planted in the middle of the truck (assuming weight requirements let you do that) AND cover it with a tarp.

It may take an extra 10 minutes, but that's 10 minutes that you won't spend in court.