User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CFI Orietation ?????

I have my cdl and have an orientation date but was wandering if anyone could tell what it is really like other than the recruiter. Thank you for help in advance.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Are you a new CDL holder or an experienced driver? Completely different process depending on which one it is.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Just out of school 3 weeks...new CDL holder....just wondering what the 6 days training at the college is like...also wondering how much money needed to get thru the training period until I'm on my own...
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Board Member

In that case, this link is about the best answer I can give you. If you make a minor adjustment for the fact that I'm a little off in the head, it sums up the process pretty well.

As far as money, we got $100 cash at the end of day one, breakfast at the lodge every day, lunch and dinner at the college every day, then $300 cash at the end of the week. If you're frugal, I imagine you could do okay with very little more than that. I tended to go out at night and blow more money, but that's just my style.

Once you go out with a trainer, then finish training and get your own truck, it's good to have some money in the bank until you get your legs under you. You'll suck at trip planning, you'll have things you need to buy for the truck, and you'll have a slow week right before your biggest bills are due. That's when people freak out and quit, then go to a new company, a new orientation, more training, and repeat the process. It's best to avoid that trap. Be ready for some ups and downs, as the pay escalates rapidly during the first year and you get better at the job.

By the end of year one, I honestly have to say it's the easiest job I've ever had. I don't have the family at home and the rest of the emotional baggage though. That is probably pretty rough.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Rookie

Thank you Vito, that was just what I was looking for. It sounds like your school and mine were pretty much the same. There were 7 of us students in my class, 5 graduated with their CDL and 2 I do not know if they ever will. They were offered 16 more hours of training to try to. One guy when it was his turn to drive, scared me so bad I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Thanks for all your help.