User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question about DOT drug screen

If i go to school in march I am going to need to take another dot drug screen. Ive been sick the last week or so with bronchatis and the doctor prescribed me some cough syrup with codine and some azroythecin, will that codine show up in my dot whiz quiz?

Will i have to disclose that?
IF i advise them before I take the whiz quiz that my doctor prescribed medicine with codine to get over an illness, will i have any problems with the whiz quiz?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Disclose all of that to the people who collect your pee pee and bring your prescriptions from your doctor
Old 02-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Board Regular

bring the actual bottle or will the patient counseling with receipt on it from the pharmacy work?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 AM
Board Regular

if you have the written perscription, take that. if not, then yes, take the bottle.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Board Regular

the receipt has all the info thats on the bottle. including the doctors name and everything.

I will be so glad to get over this bronchatis so i can get back to normal activity, so i can get going to school.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You can take all the bottles and paperwork you want with you to the drug screener. THEY DON'T CARE. Your test will still indicate that you failed without any mention of your prescription. It is up to the company who is hiring you to determine what they want to do. They will most likely send you for another test when your better.

It is NOT up to the drug testing company to make ANY determinations AT ALL.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Another note:

Think about it. If I was a drug addict I would just take my bottle of cough syrup to the test and she would say, Oh, ok, you passed!! NOT

I know someone personally who does the drug testing. She gets people who come in on court ordered testing and the smell of chlorine to the max. What these people do is pour chlorine all over their hands before they come in. When they pee in the bottle they pour the pee all over there hands and back into the bottle. This contaminates the sample. My friend just smiles and finishes the test. She writes down on the test paper work that chlorine was detected.

She also takes a reading on the temp of the pee. If it's low she just smiles and finishes the test. She fills out the form that the test was void due to the temp of the pee.

All these failed tests go back to the employer and it's up to them what they want to do.

Some people who come in are required to pee in front of the male or female tech.

Some are required to give a blood sample.

Some people are sooooooo fat that they have to put a 4 foot by 4 foot litter type plastic box on the floor and the person just stands there and pees then they collect the sample.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

By the time you go to school in March, you should be free and clear of the bronchitis, and should have finished your use of the codeine.

Is it possible that you would be able to decline to take the test the school may want you to take? Not as "refuse", but simply decline. I'm asking this because I'm wondering just why in the hell a "school" is having you do this. If you are going to a "company sponsored/funded school" I can understand it. In that event, if you are "well", and no longer using the medication, I would do the following if the test occurs within 30 or so days of the final use of the medication:

Call the Dr's office and ask them to write a simple letter stating that on such and such date, you were treated by the Dr. for bronchitis and whatever, were prescribed medication XXX that contained codeine, to be taken for X days. Also keep the empty bottle. Make the people at the school aware of the letter by handing them a copy. Whether or not the person taking the samples "cares".....is immaterial. Last time I looked at one of the forms, which is within the last month....it seems the space for "current medications" is still on it. I'll have to dig up the piece of paper and look at it. I do believe you can "insist" on having that information put on the document.

It is the "employer's" responsibility to have this taken care of. Consider that if you are not a drug abuser, and have been prescribed a codeine containing medication...and finish using it....it should be washed out of your system long before you make it to any orientation with an employer.

I too have suffered over the years from bronchitis, and I have been prescribed the same types of medications.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
By the time you go to school in March, you should be free and clear of the bronchitis, and should have finished your use of the codeine.

Is it possible that you would be able to decline to take the test the school may want you to take? Not as "refuse", but simply decline. I'm asking this because I'm wondering just why in the hell a "school" is having you do this. If you are going to a "company sponsored/funded school" I can understand it. In that event, if you are "well", and no longer using the medication, I would do the following if the test occurs within 30 or so days of the final use of the medication:

Call the Dr's office and ask them to write a simple letter stating that on such and such date, you were treated by the Dr. for bronchitis and whatever, were prescribed medication XXX that contained codeine, to be taken for X days. Also keep the empty bottle. Make the people at the school aware of the letter by handing them a copy. Whether or not the person taking the samples "cares".....is immaterial. Last time I looked at one of the forms, which is within the last month....it seems the space for "current medications" is still on it. I'll have to dig up the piece of paper and look at it. I do believe you can "insist" on having that information put on the document.

It is the "employer's" responsibility to have this taken care of. Consider that if you are not a drug abuser, and have been prescribed a codeine containing medication...and finish using it....it should be washed out of your system long before you make it to any orientation with an employer.

I too have suffered over the years from bronchitis, and I have been prescribed the same types of medications.
The reason a school needs the drug test done is the fact that as a student driver you will be driving on the roads and are held to the same regulations as any other driver of a commercial vehicle. When I was in school I had to go through a normal DOT inspection at the weigh station the same as anyone else. One of the things that the inspector asked for was my copy of my latest drug test.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86

The reason a school needs the drug test done is the fact that as a student driver you will be driving on the roads and are held to the same regulations as any other driver of a commercial vehicle. When I was in school I had to go through a normal DOT inspection at the weigh station the same as anyone else. One of the things that the inspector asked for was my copy of my latest drug test.
Interesting. While I can understand that....the drug test is done for "employment" purposes....and to my knowledge there are no provisions regarding "students" being required to do it per the FMCSR's. Now, I went through school 15 years ago, and we were not required to do a drug test, and we drove on city and all other roads. Maybe its a "state" requirement, or a requirement that has been imposed in the past years since I got into this fray.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.