User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB antennas and coax

I've noticed while reading Truck Paper that a lot of trucks listed for sale include a factory installed CB radio. Most likely they include a bottom-of-the-barrel antenna and coax. If I was gonna buy a CB radio I'd most likely opt for a Cobra 29. But what's a good antenna for a big truck and is one coax just as good as the other? :?
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

There are a lot of good antennas on the market. you have those from well known makers such as K-40, Francis, and Wilson. Then there are some more "custom made" types.

And no. Not all coax is made a like. Good coax will have plenty of insulation for low signal loss and there are several different types of coax. Basic RG 59 and RG 59 coax is about the worst there is for coax. You get a little better if you can find those with the "foam" insulation.

For general mobile installation though RG 8x also called Mini 8 coax is pretty decent and has a lower loss than any of the 58 or 59 coax.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Any halfway decent CB shop can set you up with a good antenna, but they'll often try to sell you more than what you actually need. If I were running just a no frills, no gimmicks CB radio, the most expensive antenna I would be willing to buy would be the Wilson 1000, if I even felt like spending that much. As it were, I bought mine for $30 from some guy loitering around one of the terminals for the company I was working for, and it was brand new in the package, so I bought it, and chose simply not to ask any questions.
As for coax, I typically go with Belden coax, cut and set up by a CB shop, rather than the stuff you see sitting on the shelves of the truck stops from Barjan or whatever the hell the brand is which sells that stuff.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Board Member

My antenna is nothing more then a simple Firestick. I normally get a 11 mile range with my Uniden.

Also, does the length of the coax make a difference?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Rookie

Coax are NOT all the same. I agree Belden is a very good brand. I'd stay away from the stuff they sell at truckstops. If you are running just 1 antenna remember to go with 50ohm RG-8 or RG-58. The RG-59 is 75ohm and is for running 2 antennas.

The antenna is the most important part of the system. A good antenna with a crappy radio will sound better, in general, than a good radio with a bad antenna.

That being said, I have tried K40, wilson, firestick and some truck stop POS, and i would recommend the wilson hands down. Definatly a noticeable difference in recieve.

As for the length, some people swear that the coax needs to be 18 ft long, because that is 1/2 the wavelengh of the CB band (11 meters). If you can't afford that, I don't think there would be a problem going with a shorter length, I would suggest going with a length that is maybe 9 or 6 feet just to get some sort of even fraction for the wavelegth. Also, if you have any extra slack, do NOT coil it up nicely. The creates a RF choke and severely limits your radio. Just let it go randomly loose.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd definitely recommend the mini 8 18ft coax. I switched my coax and heard a world of difference. Also, I used to have a skipjack antenna and it did very well and cost me all of $30. I now have a 10k competition and am doing realy well but thats a $85 antenna.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

is this good for a single antenna setup. My mack came with 2 antennas on the truck i just un-hooked one of them cuz i hear 1 works better then 2. But all the coax are still there for a dual set-up.
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...?idproduct=914

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
is this good for a single antenna setup. My mack came with 2 antennas on the truck i just un-hooked one of them cuz i hear 1 works better then 2. But all the coax are still there for a dual set-up.
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...?idproduct=914
Mini-8 may have more loss than RG-58 at 27MHZ, I'm not sure. But at a 9-18 foot coaxial run at that frequency, the loss would be negligible.

I would go with the 18 ft length as opposed to 9 ft. 18ft is approximately the length of one full wave at 27MHZ, as 9ft is approx. a 1/2 wavelength.
The 18 & 9 foot coaxial advice is based on sound theory. A full wave (18ft coax run) will exhibit a higher db gain at (full wave configuration) as opposed to the totally acceptable, but less efficient, 9ft (half wave config).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt91
Also, if you have any extra slack, do NOT coil it up nicely. The creates a RF choke and severely limits your radio. Just let it go randomly loose.
Great advice Hatt!

Like Hatt91 said, the antenna is the most important part of the set up. Proper coaxial setup is so critical, to include minimum VSWR.

With all of this great advice, the Mackman BBR ought to be able to broadcast redneck rock-box chatter all over the Keystone State!! :lol:

Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

can someone put up a link of the best coax money can buy

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
can someone put up a link of the best coax money can buy
The "best coax money can buy" is hardline 1" diameter or over...good luck running that in your truck. RG-8U is hard to deal with in a mobile setup and totally unnecessary, too. If you want a simple to install yet top-of-the-line antenna/coax setup, get a Wilson 1000 trucker and some Times Microwave LMR-300 (Times part number 40297) and you will have pretty much the best you're gonna get. That coax is low-loss RG-8X with a solid center conductor and 100% shielding. Also, big gaudy open coil antennas are for show and net you no improvement performance over a Wilson.

Contrary to CB myth, the length of the coax does NOT matter if you are using only one antenna. If your SWR changes with changes in coax length, you have a crap antenna or a ground problem. The only time coax length matters is in properly phased antenna systems with more than one active antenna element. And since you can not get the proper antenna spacing for a correctly phased system across a semi-tractor, you would be better off with one antenna.