User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any Advice?

Okay for all the "ahem" old timers out there...
I've passed 4 practice tests for General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Combination with an 88% or higher (up to a 97%) and after Christmas I am giong out on the road with my brother who drives for Swift, for a few weeks. I am currently waiting for a clearnace letter from the State of Nebraska on my license (no proof of insurance ticket back in October but should be cleared up shortly). While I'm with my brother he is giong to help me memorize the pre-trip so I can pass it when I finally get to go to school.
My question is: Is there ANYTHING else I can do to prep for the CDL tests? I cant actually drive his truck so anything short of that that I can do to get ready and/or help me when I finally get to school would really be helpful.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

my first question would be? why can't you drive your brother's truck?

all you legally need is a learner's permit. He has a CDL right?

just don't get caught by Swift, or Screw-up.

Stick to bob-tail driving at first ---Mall parking lots are empty on Sunday Afternoons.( and you don't need a licence to operate a bob-tail on Private Property Only)
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Stick to bob-tail driving at first ---Mall parking lots are empty on Sunday Afternoons.( and you don't need a licence to operate a bob-tail on Private Property Only)
Probably not at this time of year.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Board Regular

well its Swift's truck... and until stupid ole Nebraska gets that clearance letter to me I cant even get my permit.. so i have my regular DL (which is perfectly clean in all other 49 States by the way) but I also dont want to get my brother in trouble with his company... so Ill work on the pretrip until i can do it in my sleep and keep reading and studying the manual while im dinking around waiting....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Talk about a great opportunity. You actually get to test out the truckers life before you jump in. My advice would to be go in with an open mind, don't settle on Swift. Make sure you make your own choice. That could be Swift or someone else.

Work that pre-trip until your mind is numb. Until all you can think is pre-trip. When it comes time to test out on it, it will be second nature. Make sure you have a manual there that tells you step by step what it is. It is possible your brother might have forgotten a thing or two.

Do a log book. This is another area that can confuse new drivers. Maybe do your own, maybe do His (not sure if doing his is technically legal or not)

Take some time and watch him and others bump docks and park at truck stops. Get an idea in your head how to wiggle these things around to get em in the hole.

Take a few naps while bouncing down the road. Depending on your eventual trainer it might benefit you if you can sleep in a moving truck.

You have already said it but I will say it again. DO NOT DRIVE HIS TRUCK. Don't even pull it up a few feet for any reason at all. A little mistake could ruin your career before it even started. You are absolutely nothing other than a passenger. But that can alot of fun also.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am giong out on the road with my brother who drives for Swift, for a few weeks.
Good for you, will get to experience "life on the road" for a time. Much to learn, observe all that you can from your brother, and observations of other drivers. Look for postives and negatives of the drivers, you can learn just as much from the negatives as the postives.

I want to echo what most have said about driving the truck. Under no circumstances drive his truck. Like marylandkw said not even a few feet. Remember that truck is not your brothers, it is Swifts assigned to your brother. Now I drive for a company and consider my assigned truck as mine. But keep in mind things can go wrong even in a few feet of movement. You do not need that responsiblity and your brother cannot absorb that responsibilty either if something sould go wrong. Even if you brother offers for you to drive in an empty parking lot bobtail. Dont. You will have plenty to observe and have a good time being on the road for a few weeks. Enjoy it.
Look forward to reading your post of the experience when you return.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Board Regular

Well i had originally thought Schneider would be my employer of choice but the BF wants me to look seriously at Roehl so I applied to both and am waiting to see what happens from there.. and I'll more than likely be posting from the road since im making my bro get a wireless internet card for his laptop... me without internet???? thats like Abbott without Costello.. it just aint right! :shock: anyway... im extremely stoked about the whole thing... im pretty sure i'm part gypsy anyway so i should feel right at home... and thanks for the terrific advice Im takin notes
Old 12-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Rookie

All good suggestions, especially the pre-trip. That's the one thing that takes out the most new drivers. My son grew up around trucks, drove trucks on the farm, good as anybody out there, but it took him three tries to get past the pre-trip. His fault, I told him to read the book and do what THEY wanted, not inpect it the way he normally would.

As far as the log book, I've known several drivers whose wives did the log book. I think it's okay as long as the driver signs on the line. Maybe to be safe, it'd be better if you just spent 50 cents and bought a log book. Fill it out like you're doing the driving, it'll give you some hands on experience. You'll have one less thing to learn when you're training.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
I am giong out on the road with my brother who drives for Swift, for a few weeks.
Good for you, will get to experience "life on the road" for a time. Much to learn, observe all that you can from your brother, and observations of other drivers. Look for postives and negatives of the drivers, you can learn just as much from the negatives as the postives.

I want to echo what most have said about driving the truck. Under no circumstances drive his truck. Like marylandkw said not even a few feet. Remember that truck is not your brothers, it is Swifts assigned to your brother. Now I drive for a company and consider my assigned truck as mine. But keep in mind things can go wrong even in a few feet of movement. You do not need that responsiblity and your brother cannot absorb that responsibilty either if something sould go wrong. Even if you brother offers for you to drive in an empty parking lot bobtail. Dont. You will have plenty to observe and have a good time being on the road for a few weeks. Enjoy it.
Look forward to reading your post of the experience when you return.
Ditto!!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
my first question would be? why can't you drive your brother's truck?

all you legally need is a learner's permit. He has a CDL right?

just don't get caught by Swift, or Screw-up.

Real bright. I love the "just don't get caught" part. Great way to sabotage his driving career before it even gets started. Heck, if you are going to go that far, why bother with a learner's permit at all? You'd better hope that nobody from Lincoln reads this post and realizes who you are. Your life could get real complicated real quick!

To the OP. Does he have permission from Swift to let you ride with him?

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Closed Thread