User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Routing onto Long Island

I have a load of 2 large boulders going to Southampton Tuesday early am. I have never been out to long island before, and was hoping for some advice on route- looking at maps i'm thinking 80e to 95n over GW bridge to 295 and throgs neck to 495 to 27e

How bad is the island? Is it just congested, or a dangerous area like the Bronx? (no offense intended, but i am not a city boy, and don't know what to expect)

260" wheelbase w900 and 45' spread axle flatbed if it makes any difference. My height is about 12'9"

Any advice would be great, thanks. I'm coming out of New Milford PA

Jeff
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

With out looking at a map that sounds about right, the Long Island Expressway is a bit of pia usually with alot of contstruction and narrow lanes, but I will take the island over the Bronx/Brooklyn anytime.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Board Regular

Your route seems fine, just be prepared for some rough ***** roads. Secure everything in your cab well, I had a can of pork-N-beans come out of one of the storage bins one time and struck me in the head. Just follow the signs and you will be alright, especially at the toll booths. Don't go thru the ones marked "NO TRUCKS" and if you have the EZ-PASS thing go thru that one-I know that probably seems like common sense but it is easier said than done sometimes with the congestion and the rudest drivers in America. I have done both before in the past, luckily in the middle of the night, and for the "NO TRUCKS" one they just simply made me back up and try it again but the after ending up in a toll booth that does not accept EZ-Pass and not having the 10 million dollars for the toll the toll booth attendant made me give her my drivers license and truck registration then go up to the next exit and make a u-turn, come back and wait before the toll booth on the side of the road for a NYPD to bring me my license and registration back and then I had to follow him to get back thru the original direction I wanted to go. The whole ordeal took longer than one hour. Don't drive tired, LOL ! One more thing, don't take the Van Wyck down to the Sunrise Hwy and take 27 all the way to Southhampton, it will take forever.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Board Regular

make sure your log book is good to go. They like to do checks after you come out of the toll booth after some of the bridges. The Whitestone and Throgsneck and Verrazano anyhow.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Board Member

the island is nice, especially as far out as you're going, so no.......it's not like the bronx at all.

the only advice i can give that hasn't been mentioned is if you have ez pass, and the bridge is backing up at the hill, get in the left lane. then go over the bridge in the middle lane. the right will get a lot of merging, and you'll still be in good shape to get off onto the clearview (295). and try to hit the bridge before 5 if you can. :roll: you'll hit a lot more traffic coming back depending on the time.

every once in a while suffolk county cops like to sit in the 2 little pull offs near deerpark. they finished the construction from the clearview to the north hills area so that's not a concern.

i've only been as far out as medford, so i envy your ride. enjoy!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks for all the advice

I appreciate all the advice- i'm feeling a bit better about this run now. Having never been there but heard so many horror stories about NYC it had me worried. Does anyone know of any places to pull off for a few hours along 27? I have been told it's best to get on the island in the middle of the night, but I can't actually get into the construction site until 8am.

Thanks again for all the help

Jeff
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually take 287S to 440 E to 278E to 495 to Long Island and take I295 over the Throgsneck and come out over the GW. I save some tolls going that way. Every time you turn around they are going up on tolls. If you go over the Throgsneck you pay a toll both ways. If you go in on the lower side as I do then you only pay one way on the Throgsneck. There aren't many places to pull over to rest. It would be better if you can get to your consignee and sleep there. That is not a very friendly place for trucks. By the way, there is a weigh station on the east side of 495 and they have been staying very busy lately.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I usually take 287S to 440 E to 278E to 495 to Long Island and take I295 over the Throgsneck and come out over the GW. I save some tolls going that way. Every time you turn around they are going up on tolls. If you go over the Throgsneck you pay a toll both ways. If you go in on the lower side as I do then you only pay one way on the Throgsneck. There aren't many places to pull over to rest. It would be better if you can get to your consignee and sleep there. That is not a very friendly place for trucks. By the way, there is a weigh station on the east side of 495 and they have been staying very busy lately.
Are they open all night? I am not overweight (73,240) but boulders are often scary looking to DOT guys
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
Are they open all night? I am not overweight (73,240) but boulders are often scary looking to DOT guys
They are closed at night.If open during day you can run 135 south to 109 east to sunrise hwy and they will never bother you.If you have low side 19 on cb someone will tell you if their closed or not on they are good for directions.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozz282 View Post
They are closed at night.If open during day you can run 135 south to 109 east to sunrise hwy and they will never bother you.If you have low side 19 on cb someone will tell you if their closed or not on they are good for directions.
thanks for the help- i should be good in that case.

jeff