User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Operating authority

Where do I even begin.......Let's see I been doing some major thinking, as alot of you may know I've always had this determination to start my own business. I been thinking about getting intrastate authority until I turn 21 and then maybe get interstate authority, as of right now I plan on taking co-op and saving up the money I make from that since I don't have any money to do this yet. So I may do this next year but I plan on getting my CDL this summer when I turn 18. I already know what I want in a truck, I'd more than likely spec my truck with 3.36 rears with a 13spd with a sleeper pulling a flatbed and/or a stepdeck. I'd like to haul steel from East St. Louis, IL to Chicago, IL or anywhere in Illinois. Can't forget building materials and/or stuff for John Deere, but that may require a stepdeck which I'd rather have over the flatbed but I remember readin somewhere that alot of steel mills won't load stepdecks or something like that. I'm still doing my homework on this so I'm not gonna jump in it right away but this is something I've always wanted to do. Hell the economy isn't really helping matters none at all!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 AM
BANNED

Graduate High School, turn 18, 19, 20, 21 years of age and during that time go to college.... You are putting the cart wayyyyyyy in front of the horse.....
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I plan on it! Plan on taking diesel mechanics at UTI and get a bachelors in business. By the time I'm done with high school I'll already have an advantage cause most of my classes we're computer and business related in some way!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Steer clear of wimmin for a while, and you'll have a better chance at having your own Operating Authority. ...in more 'n one way

Here's your first test.....steer clear...steer clear!
...ohhhh.... BRACE FOR IMPACT!
:?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: But the only thing is that is really holding me back is one more year of high school BUT........... It'll benefit me cause I plan on taking co-op doing something with office work so I'll get a feel on how a business operates, it may not be trucking though but it may be at Olin-Brass, I'm sure alot of you steel haulers have heard of them. http://www.olin.com/ Other than that I can't wait to follow my dream but at the same time I need to get my diesel mechanics in so I may have to put it on hold for an addition year unless I can go part time then I'll go for it since I plan on going to UTI in Chicago for the diesel mechanics. So that scholarship isn't going to waste!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Graduate High School, turn 18, 19, 20, 21 years of age and during that time go to college.... You are putting the cart wayyyyyyy in front of the horse.....
Whats wrong with thinking ahead? Atleast I plan on getting a degree in diesel mechanics, you know I had this dream since I was a little kid and I'm not gonna let you stop me, people like you just make me more determined with ignorant comments like that. Honestly I don't see the point in getting a degree in business if I plan on taking accounting, business tech, and working in a business setting for co-op. I don't see why I should waste thousands of dollars for a degree when I can do that stuff for FREE in high school. The only thing I feel that is worth taking is the diesel mechanics cause I'll save myself alot of money on repairs in my opinion and I don't plan on getting married or having kids anytime soon so more money for me. Don't get me wrong going to college is a good thing but I already got a plan in mind. You know common sense will tell any new owner operator/small business owner not to buy a fancy owner op spec truck with chrome and lights, I need to save on all the money I can and a simple fleet truck would fit the bill cause I'm not wasting time and money keeping it polished. I'm about making money so for the first couple years all the money I'm gonna make is going into the company and I don't see the need to have lights and chrome, that doesn't bring in the paycheck. I'm sure GMAN and Steve Booth will back me up on this. Only chrome I plan on adding would be helf fenders and on the mudflaps. Can't forget a set of straight pipes as well!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Whats wrong with thinking ahead? Atleast I plan on getting a degree in diesel mechanics, you know I had this dream since I was a little kid and I'm not gonna let you stop me, people like you just make me more determined with ignorant comments like that. Honestly I don't see the point in getting a degree in business if I plan on taking accounting, business tech, and working in a business setting for co-op. I don't see why I should waste thousands of dollars for a degree when I can do that stuff for FREE in high school. The only thing I feel that is worth taking is the diesel mechanics cause I'll save myself alot of money on repairs in my opinion and I don't plan on getting married or having kids anytime soon so more money for me. Don't get me wrong going to college is a good thing but I already got a plan in mind. You know common sense will tell any new owner operator/small business owner not to buy a fancy owner op spec truck with chrome and lights, I need to save on all the money I can and a simple fleet truck would fit the bill cause I'm not wasting time and money keeping it polished. I'm about making money so for the first couple years all the money I'm gonna make is going into the company and I don't see the need to have lights and chrome, that doesn't bring in the paycheck. I'm sure GMAN and Steve Booth will back me up on this. Only chrome I plan on adding would be helf fenders and on the mudflaps. Can't forget a set of straight pipes as well!
Kid, I admire your Get-R-Done attitude. Here is a thought for you. Get your schooling done first. That includes your trade course. Then try driving as a company driver for a OTR company to get the feel of the industry. After a couple of years, miles on the road, and diesel in your blood, the go buy your rig, and have at it. You'll be thankful you did with the experience to back you up when you go O/O. And your insurance rates will be drastically lower with a couple of years under your belt. Call around for rates.....

If you change your mind while your a company driver, think of all of the extra money you will have to try something else, instead of wasting it on buying a rig before you know what you really want.

When I was 17, I wanted to become a fireman. Still could if I wanted to. I also stated I would never marry........got married at 18, and still married for over 22 years.

When you decide to go on your own, you will find it's a different world. And things change is mere seconds.

Many people have learned to drive a truck. Very few become truck drivers.

Good luck.:wink:

RoadHog, is that a hicky on her belly? :lol: :lol:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank ya Cluggy, I think what I should do is work for a year as a diesel mechanic then take the ASE test so I can be certified and by that time I should have plenty of money saved up by then! 8) :wink:
Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn
:wink:
RoadHog, is that a hicky on her belly? :lol: :lol:

..er maybe axle grease from Double ELL's greasy paws ...

Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: Your a trip Roadhog, pretty much in a nutshell I know I want to be a flatbed carrier with a more fleet truck feel but with stainless half fenders and mirrors along with the stainless antisail piece for the mudflap. I plan on running the super singles as well!