User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trainer question

Once you get your CDL A and go with a company and get a trainer, is it a 24 hour a day thing for a few weeks or do you get nights off and breaks, etc. I don't know that I could spend 24 hours a day with anyone for a few weeks straight.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Rookie
Default pretty much yes

wheb I was with my trainer we were together 24/7, and I did 99 % of all the driving, he stayed in the passenger side. but he was cool and we got along great, he did all he could to make it comfortable for me
Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Depending on who you go to work for....when you are on the trainer's truck, you may be, within hours of getting into the truck find yourself running team for the entire period of your training. In many cases, the trainer is not "training" because he is "altruistic"....he is in it for the extra $$. You will be running team 24/7 for probably 4 to 6 weeks without time off or any real breaks. Its a grind. Some companies do it that way, others don't, and there are even a few that have the trainer's do it as solo's where the trainer is in the jump seat while you are driving.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

you could always try a dump truck company in your area .... you might come closer to your wishes there ...

Other wise .... once you go OTR don't expect to be back home for at least a month and you'll be sleeping within feet of your trainer ... the upper bunk! ... they'll always be within hands reach ... which could come in handy since your a student and they may need to grab the gear stick quickly if you get in a bind. Life on the road isn't anything like your've been use to at home.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'