User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner recruiter coming to our school Tuesday

Im sure I will hear how great they are....can anyone give me the truth?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

The truth is that Werner is a very large company and like any very large company you will be more a number than a name.

And like any company, large or small, how good a driver finds them to be will depend on how good your assigned fleet manager is at providing you with the support you need when you need it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

The recruiter will probably show up in a shiney new tractor (which you wont get) and tell you all about the great money you'll make (which you wont get) and when he's leaving.........will crash into a telephone pole (which actually happened) :lol:
Old 09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

There big sales pitch is their paperless log book. They will go over and over how great it is and they were the first company to use it. They will tell you how inovative their company is because of the paperless log.

Did I mention they talk about their paperless log books alot??
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Werner is a decent company and run good equipment. As a starter company you could do a lot worse.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Werner is not bad. You will not make great money. The only way to make decent money with Werner is on a dedicated run. The paperless log is not all it's cracked up to be. It does have it's glitches. I would rather run a paper log book. The equipment is ok. I have seen better and I have seen worse. As a new driver, don't expect a new truck. Although, I have seen a few new drivers get new ones. They do have a lot of power.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Werner is what you can make of it. It will be difficult as a "newbie" in any company as you learn the ins and outs of trucking. There will be days you enjoy what you do and days you wish you chose another profession. Any recruiter will paint a mostly rosey picture about their company, try to look past that.

As Uturn said your Fleet Manager (FM) aka dispatcher can make or break you as a driver. With any company do not make "waves" early in your career. Just do the best you can as you learn. Most FM's are very sensitive to the new or probationary driver. You should be give loads that are mostly easy and very flexible to run as you learn Truck Driving. The loads will get progressively more challenging as you prove to you FM that you are a capable Driver.

Regarding being just is number: Dont let this bother you, in a company the size of Werner and the likes, in the company side you will be a number, not much choice in the matter. However...Your FM will soon learn you by name, and possibly by voice recognition alone. This is where it will matter, not with the balance of the company. Your day to day buisness will be with your FM, not the company. The occassionaly times you need the company (safety, payroll, breakdown etc.) you will be a number but thats to be expected. After the initial telephone exchange they will regard you by your name.

The trucks: Werners trucks generally do not exceed 3 yrs old or go past 400k miles. They are removed from company use by this time. You may or may not get a "brand" new truck, but the truck is still very young. The condition of the truck should be roadworthy and cleaned and detailed before assigned to a driver. (Unless its a new truck of course)

Paperless logs: My opinion, I love them, most of the "glitches" have been worked out. Nice thing about them is the FM's cannot assign you a load that would exceed your HOS or your ability to run the load. But, once your duty day starts it can sometimes be a challenge completing the day before HOS is exceeded. Just takes careful trip planning and time management. Again in you probationary period, the FM's should be considerate of this fact and only assign you runs/loads that can be easily completed in the assigned time and HOS. Just a side note, while you are on the Trainer truck. Please make sure you get good and comfortable with using the paperless logs before your training is complete. Ive seen to many new Werner drivers who are supposed to be qualified solo and cannot understand HOS and the paperless logs.

Ive been with Werner 5yrs, I run a dedicated account. If you can get a dedicated or good regional, that would probably be your best oppurtinity to suceed with the company. 48 state is difficult but Ive seen and talk to drivers who run 48 state who have been doing it for many years and are very successful with it. 48 state will boil down to a good Load planner and Fleet Manager.

Feel free to PM me or throw up another post if you have any questions, especially after the recruiter give his "Sales Pitch".
Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

in the ads of the truck stop mags they tote that their equipment is all O/O spec'd!!!!! it might have all the bells and whistles but they are still goverened at 65-67mph
Old 09-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbtubas
in the ads of the truck stop mags they tote that their equipment is all O/O spec'd!!!!! it might have all the bells and whistles but they are still goverened at 65-67mph
There's no need to go any faster than 70 at best. Most states are averaging 65, so what good is it to have a truck that can go faster tha the speed limit? Having most trucks governed at no more than 67 would keep a lot of these morons, with tons of speeding tickets, from getting them.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

When a recruiter came to my school, he said we WILL be out 4-6 weeks and we will make .28/mile :roll:

Nobody asked for an application :lol: