User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question on a ticket

I'm the wife. I just want to know what to expect. Please leave all scarcasm and your scr**ed remarks out. I had an extremely bad week already, and I'm not the dirver.

My husband just got his first ticket in North Carolina in Warren County on interstate 85 going North. Yes, he was talking on a cell phone while driving. Yes, I need to get him a new phone that will allow him to get an actual headset and not just an ear piece. No, I haven't been able to afford one as of yet. This is on my to do list, as soon as I can.

To the ticket. The cop pulled him over. Yes, he saw my husband talking on the phone, and mention it. Didn't suggest or hint not to use it. He started talking to my husband saying he was weaving out of his lane. Husband tried to get cop on good side.

Exactly what was written on the ticket was:

Failed to move vhecile into a lane that was not the lane nearest the authorized emergancy vechilce, and continued traveling until safely clear the authorized emergancy vechicle.

Husband said he didn't see any emergancy vechicles while driving. Officer didn't mention any points, and none written down. Officer didn't have husband sign anything.

North Carolina Fine $250 court cost $110.

My husband already told company the court date, and they said they would try to have him there by July 18.

How do the points work? Will they be determined at the hearing? What are his chances of fighting the ticket? What about him not signing anything?

I know the easy route would just to pay the $210 without the court date, or would we still have to pay the extra $110 anyhow? Somehow I feel that there will be dire conquences if he doesn't go to court.

Is this considered a moving violation? I'm assuming this will be reported on his DAC no matter what happens.

He is with a good company even though he has only been with them from the beginning of the year. I don't forsee them fireing him over this. If he was with one of the other larger companies that like to DAC drivers for every little incident even for things that shouldn't have been reported, then yes he would have lost his job.

I would like to know what happens now, and the best way to handle it.

Edited to add: He wasen't talking to me either.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Board Icon

I would try to find a lawyer in the locale of the ticket and ask about being able to leave and never signed anything. That doesn't sound right but I've never been stopped in NC before to know any better.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question on a ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
I'm the wife. I just want to know what to expect. Please leave all scarcasm and your scr**ed remarks out. I had an extremely bad week already, and I'm not the dirver.

My husband just got his first ticket in North Carolina in Warren County on interstate 85 going North. Yes, he was talking on a cell phone while driving. Yes, I need to get him a new phone that will allow him to get an actual headset and not just an ear piece. No, I haven't been able to afford one as of yet. This is on my to do list, as soon as I can.

To the ticket. The cop pulled him over. Yes, he saw my husband talking on the phone, and mention it. Didn't suggest or hint not to use it. He started talking to my husband saying he was weaving out of his lane. Husband tried to get cop on good side.

Exactly what was written on the ticket was:

Failed to move vhecile into a lane that was not the lane nearest the authorized emergancy vechilce, and continued traveling until safely clear the authorized emergancy vechicle.

Husband said he didn't see any emergancy vechicles while driving. Officer didn't mention any points, and none written down. Officer didn't have husband sign anything.

North Carolina Fine $250 court cost $110.

My husband already told company the court date, and they said they would try to have him there by July 18.

How do the points work? Will they be determined at the hearing? What are his chances of fighting the ticket? What about him not signing anything?

I know the easy route would just to pay the $210 without the court date, or would we still have to pay the extra $110 anyhow? Somehow I feel that there will be dire conquences if he doesn't go to court.

Is this considered a moving violation? I'm assuming this will be reported on his DAC no matter what happens.

He is with a good company even though he has only been with them from the beginning of the year. I don't forsee them fireing him over this. If he was with one of the other larger companies that like to DAC drivers for every little incident even for things that shouldn't have been reported, then yes he would have lost his job.

I would like to know what happens now, and the best way to handle it.

Edited to add: He wasen't talking to me either.
In the next few days, you will get 3 or 4 letters from attorneys offering to go to to court for you, NC puts all tickets on public record, if it is a moving violation. points are assessed based on the law in the state in which you are licensed. if there are points, it would probably be best to pay the attorney. by what you are saying, it sounds like they got him on the move over law which says if an emergency vehicle is on the side, you must move over if able, or slow way down. maybe he couldnt get over, but then you have to pass really slowly. one more thing, if the cop was just sitting there without his overhead lights on waiting for a victim, then he doesnt qualify as an emergency vehicle, but good luck proving that's what he did.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Typically, the signature is to recognize receiving the citation and promising to appear in court to resolve the matter if not otherwise handled prior to the court date. By that I mean , if it was a failure to carry proof of liability insurance, providing proof to the court clerk prior to the court date. I have never heard of a citation being issued without a signature unless the subject was jailed. Now this is in Oklahoma mind you. Sounds kind of shaky to me with no signature.Might be kosher in NC. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Get a lawyer. Let them plea it down, then pay the fine. This is the simplest way to keep tickets from collecting on your licence, or at least it will be plead down to a lower ticket.

I'll tell you this. Been my experience that a judge will take a cop's word over a truck driver, unless the truck driver has video, tape, etc....then it's a 50/50 chance.

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

How many points a traffic conviction carries is determined by the state the violator's DL was issued in and not by the state the offense happened in.

With that said, just how serious an offense this is will depend on how your home state views it. In some states failure to move over is not much more than a high dollar fine and other states it is viewed right up there with a DUI or close to it.

As far as this going on his DAC you are right and you are wrong. Strictly speaking this will not be reported on his DAC unless his current company places the info there. It will, however, show up on his MVR.

As far as him not signing anything, this may very well mean zilch. Not all states require people issued citations to sign for them. In states that do require it, all signing does is acknowledge that you understand what the ticket is for and that either the information needed to deal with it has been given to you or you have been told where to find that information.

As other posters have suggested, he needs to obtain legal representation. At the very least this will help to insure that he does not get his liscence suspended in North Carolina for failure to appear in case something happens and he does not make it back for his court date.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Board Regular

Something does not sound right, The 2 tickets I got in NC I had to sign the ticket. The Officer's Name was not Ericson was it? I believe tha is his name, if so tell your Husband to becareful in NC now on if so, this guy would have his number and will pull him over again, and make up stuff. Got me twicew with made up numbers. Driving a truck governed at 72, said I was doing 77 in a 70 going up a mountain, and year later said I was doing 68 in a 55 when I was doing 55.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Here in North Carolina you do not have to sign the ticket for it to be valid.

I would take the advise of seeing a lawer, a clean record is priceless in this business.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 AM

coastie, your right. I was talking to my mom, and she pointed out something strange also. He just got the ticket today, and yet he already has a court date?

I live in PA, and here you get the ticket, and then wait for them to give you a court date. Also, PA also not too long ago passed a law about moving over emergancy vechicles. I'll have to go do some digging and see what points they are giving for that. I know news articles posted fines for class C, but I can't remember if the also posted for class A or not.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 AM