User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My experience with receivers of bulk

In my limited trucking experience, and even more limited experience hauling bulk, primarily sand and cement, I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised by the way I'm treated by the receivers....they actually tell me that they're sure glad that I'm there, they make sure that nothing gets in the way of me unloading ( unless there're other trucks ahead of me, which is very, very rare....and even if there is, it's always for a different product, so nothing really stops me from hooking up my hoses to the standpipes, except for space constraints, if any ), they offer me refreshments, some even ask if I need help hooking up the hoses !!

The biggest challenge that I face when I pull into a receiver's yard, is the amount of debris and junk that lie strewn around the place....and invariably, that happens to be in the exact path that you would need to take to back your truck up to the standpipes. That's my biggest grouse with them !! :roll: :wink:
Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My experience with receivers of bulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
In my limited trucking experience, and even more limited experience hauling bulk, primarily sand and cement, I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised by the way I'm treated by the receivers....they actually tell me that they're sure glad that I'm there, they make sure that nothing gets in the way of me unloading ( unless there're other trucks ahead of me, which is very, very rare....and even if there is, it's always for a different product, so nothing really stops me from hooking up my hoses to the standpipes, except for space constraints, if any ), they offer me refreshments, some even ask if I need help hooking up the hoses !!

The biggest challenge that I face when I pull into a receiver's yard, is the amount of debris and junk that lie strewn around the place....and invariably, that happens to be in the exact path that you would need to take to back your truck up to the standpipes. That's my biggest grouse with them !! :roll: :wink:
its a whole different world, I hauled bulk cement for a few years and now I pull a grease tanker, NO WAY would I ever go back to freight. my customers know me and I know them, no waiting in line to be called on the cb to load or unload, no lumpers, no bumping a dock. most places open 24 hours. no tight appointment times. and like you said, usually no truck in front of me and if there is, I know how long he is going to be.. I could go on and on. I think I just did. one of the guy signs his posts a very happy tanker yanker, I second that..
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 PM

I know what you mean.I used to haul calcium.Loaded at the same time everyday,drove 4 hours,unloaded,drove 4 hours back.Was home by 6 a.m. Left because company lost the contract. Never had a problem with customer or having to wait to unload. Now I have gone back to flatbed.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Board Regular

My biggest problem with bulk cement is the people that want you to pump off at 6-8psi.... it takes forever to do that, and usually it will totally screw your second or third load up.

But yeah the stuff being in the way is a problem every where when it comes to bulk delivery. The other big problem in the area I deliver is space for a big truck. A lot of places I go were meant to be used by straight trucks at MOST not a T/T, so you become a very good driver when you haul bulk in the NE.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

its a whole different world, I hauled bulk cement for a few years and now I pull a grease tanker, NO WAY would I ever go back to freight. my customers know me and I know them, no waiting in line to be called on the cb to load or unload, no lumpers, no bumping a dock. most places open 24 hours. no tight appointment times. and like you said, usually no truck in front of me and if there is, I know how long he is going to be.. I could go on and on. I think I just did. one of the guy signs his posts a very happy tanker yanker, I second that..
If I may ask, what company did you work for when you were hauling cement ? Who do you work for now ?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Pulling tankers is the bizzaro world of hauling auto parts into union car plants.......

Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I may ask, what company did you work for when you were hauling cement ? Who do you work for now ?

I worked for Green Acres trucking, they had about 20 trucks leased to Rinker. I work for Cherokee tank lines in Georgia now. Rinker only operates in Fla and I live up here now.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegzus
My biggest problem with bulk cement is the people that want you to pump off at 6-8psi.... it takes forever to do that, and usually it will totally screw your second or third load up.

But yeah the stuff being in the way is a problem every where when it comes to bulk delivery. The other big problem in the area I deliver is space for a big truck. A lot of places I go were meant to be used by straight trucks at MOST not a T/T, so you become a very good driver when you haul bulk in the NE.
we had driver who took the lens off his qauge and and bent the needle so it stuck and always said 8 pounds, that made the customers happy, but if he ever had a problem, he wouldnt know about it, luckily he never did
Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

we had driver who took the lens off his qauge and and bent the needle so it stuck and always said 8 pounds, that made the customers happy, but if he ever had a problem, he wouldnt know about it, luckily he never did
8psi ??? We unload at 11-12 psi tank pressure....how long does it take you to unload ? Why does the customer feel happy at 8 ?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
8psi ??? We unload at 11-12 psi tank pressure....how long does it take you to unload ? Why does the customer feel happy at 8 ?
the customer usually thinks he knows more than he does. we pumped at 10-12 but the cust thought it was 8