User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking About Getting Into Trucking

I am considering quitting my job and going for my CDL License..I have always loved big trucks..but I went to college..got a degree..and have been working as a claims rep for an insurance company for the last few years..needless to say..I hate my job. I hate sitting in an office all day..but I love driving..always have..for someone that has ADHD..driving can be very relaxing..because you are always moving..etc..I would be an older student..currently 29 but what can you do..anyone have any suggestions?

Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Board Regular

i just got my CDL. im 34. i went to a county funded training program that includes 6 weeks of intership with the company that provides the training.

i was an desk jockey before that. so far, driving has been good during my internship. it does get boring on the highway and i have to make sure i pay attention to the driving. i cant just space off alot like i did at my desk. i dont want to end up on top of a few cars :shock:

anyway, i guess i'll let some real drivers chime in and let you know what its like after several years of driving.

good luck
Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the response..what were you doing before that?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Board Regular

mortgage and real estate ,then US SBA office of disaster assistance processing loans
Old 08-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Good luck. This is a career for those it fits. If it does, you'll love it. But I guess that goes for most things.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Hiding under an alias huh, fist?? :roll:
Old 08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Thinking About Getting Into Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrwrightiii
I am considering quitting my job and going for my CDL License..I have always loved big trucks..but I went to college..got a degree..and have been working as a claims rep for an insurance company for the last few years..needless to say..I hate my job. I hate sitting in an office all day..but I love driving..always have..for someone that has ADHD..driving can be very relaxing..because you are always moving..etc..I would be an older student..currently 29 but what can you do..anyone have any suggestions?

Jim

I don't know how most carriers would look at ADHD, but you need to be very focused when you drive a truck. I would think that it would be fine as long as it didn't interfere with your work. I don't know what type of medications you may take, but some are not acceptable if you drive a big truck. If you are on medications, you may want to check to see if they are on the list of prohibited drugs.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Jim
Jim, that's kind of ironic. I have always thought of driving trucks. Then I too went to college, got a degree, and became a claims rep for an auto insurance company. We are about the same age also. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have been on this site for over a week reading the different threads and utilizing the search feature on the message board. There is a wealth of information on this site.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Thinking About Getting Into Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrwrightiii

Jim

I don't know how most carriers would look at ADHD, but you need to be very focused when you drive a truck. I would think that it would be fine as long as it didn't interfere with your work. I don't know what type of medications you may take, but some are not acceptable if you drive a big truck. If you are on medications, you may want to check to see if they are on the list of prohibited drugs.
I am not on medication..this may sound strange but I pay attention when I drive...more so than when I am doing something else..I am.very defensive..always looking ahead of me and behind me..watching other drivers..etc...All of the movement makes me pay attention..I only have problems with ADHD when it comes to organizing and paperwork..other than that I am fine
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:

Jim
Jim, that's kind of ironic. I have always thought of driving trucks. Then I too went to college, got a degree, and became a claims rep for an auto insurance company. We are about the same age also. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have been on this site for over a week reading the different threads and utilizing the search feature on the message board. There is a wealth of information on this site.
That is funny..I work for a company that has an umbrella symbol
Good luck to the colts...glad they won it last year..my team had it the year before....