User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default considering career change

I am currently looking into various companies to consider a career change. I am really nervous about this because I know alot of companies will jump at the idea of applying with them and actually have applied to a couple. I told them I will call back when I decide the exact time I am wanting to go through schooling.... The problem I have is I have to make sure what I will make during school, training and minimum pay is weekly.. The reason is; I am currently working 2 jobs, 7 days a week on one delivering AJC with no days off unless without pay and the other is substituting for the post office delivering mail for the past 5 years. Right now I see myself in the same position in the next 5 years and is getting tired of it. I don't know what it would be like to not have to go into work at night even if its just one night and I also don't know what it is like to not have to be available for call in at all times.... I have nothing criminal in past and was in the military at one time. The last ticket I had was in 94.... KNOCK ON WOOD......before that was 89 and thats it. no accidents....
I have looked into swift, schneider, crst, cfi , shepard/watkins . but I have to make sure I am not ending up with less than what I have now. I bring home minimum 500/wk but blow about 150/wk gas. not to mention put 100 miles a day on the car and wear and tear on the van for the mail. I do have 2 kids 9& 10 and I understand that they will miss me but I feel like I am constantly taking my 2hrs naps when I am home anyway I think I would have more time with them if I actually have days off even though its after 2-3 weeks.... If I do this there is no going back atleast my position in post office in regards to senority. I'm sure the newspaper will still be an option. But, if I make this decision I better make sure I am making it with the right company........
Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like your in a difficult situation.

Not seeing your kids for 2-3 weeks at a time will be a very difficult adjustment--especially for them. If you decide to go OTR, who will watch over them?

Any chance you would get hired full-time by the post office in the next year or two?

What about finding a full-time job where you could be home every day and not on call?

I'm not trying to steer you away from a career in OTR...just bringing up questions for you to ponder over....
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Rookie

My kids would be in daycare and my husband will be able to take and pick them up and I have my parents for backup if something comes up. He seldom goes on storm trouble but if it does happen that would be under control.
The future with the post office is looking slim right now, they are considering contract routes for new growth in the areas, if that happens I would be looking at a long time before I go full time. If the union stops the contract routes from happening I can still look at possible 3-5 years to go full-time. Unless you replace a retiree or a death then you have to wait for route adjustments and start with a small rte with no benefits, until it grows to full-time hours then you officially get hired full-time with benefits. Until then time served doesn't mean a thing other than senority over the other substitutes which I am senior rca, so I am considered NEXT, that is what makes this all scary. If I do happen to go back it will be end of the line behind everyone else..
As far as another full time job, I don't believe I could make the same or more amount of money than I am now, unless I do something with a cdl. Alot of companies around here require cdl experience. My husband got lucky and got his through his company but he is a lineman and they don't hire too many women for those positions. I bring home minimum 500/wk but usually runs more maybe around 600 and can be as high 800/wk when mail carriers take a week off. That is with the newspaper added in,which on average I make more with the newspaper than the mail. That is alot of wear and tear on both vehicles and the gas prices, thats is whats killing us this last year. I really want to find something that I don't drive my own vehicles anymore and do away with most of the gas cost. Daycare cost would replace gas cost so the income would have to be matched or even more.
I believe my kids might even come out better because when I will be home, I will be home. I won't be napping before another job or been up all night throwing papers. They wouldn't know what to think if I slept all night and got up not in a bad mood...
I am strongly considering schneider, that is the latest. They were one of the first ones I looked at. I called CFI back today and they don't have company schooling but do reimburse with no contract but you have to put up 1000 up front. I was told by schneider that when I decide to go through the schooling to call them back 3 weeks before. CRST sounded good on their website but I haven't called them back yet due to the various things I have read in regards to them. I do not want a company that I will be looking for another job next year, I guess thats why it is so hard to decide also.
What are your ratings on these companies, more info the better......
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Board Regular

Trucking is HARD. No matter what company you start with, but it gets easier.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

squeen4545, Piece of Work said it best--for many people--OTR trucking is HARD. Period. Over time, it will get easier as one becomes accustomed to it.

I know the last thing you want to hear with your schedule is to keep reading posts in this forum. However, do it anyway--the more you read, the more you'll know....Also do a search here on companies you might be interested in such as Schneider, CFI, etc. Read, read, read....

Above all--if and when you make the plunge--don't do it until you're absolutely certain this is what you want to try for the next year.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 AM

Trucking is hard but it is easier than what you're doing. 2 days off every 2 weeks is WAYYYYYY better than no days off ever.

Especially working 2 jobs, you're never rested, you're never refreshed. You're never relaxed. Your brain doesn't work right. And at it's worst, you're so tired that your innards constantly feel like you ate something you shouldn't have eaten. And using your own vehicles, a large portion of the money you're getting isn't "profit" or "earnings" as it's really just value you're extracting from the vehicles and sticking into your pocket.

Having done what you're doing, I'd say your actual income is $300-$350 a week or less. And less than zilch for benefits.

Looking back, it was an absolutely horrible way to make a poverty level living.

Yup, those were the "good 'ole" days. :lol:

Now trucking, on the other hand, has a lot of hard, tiring things about it but the actual act of sailing this land barge down the interstate is the easiest job I've ever had.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Finally someone understands.... People think mail is easy and also newspaper. But I have found out that even though mail is delivered rain or shine. It isn't delivered on holidays or unsafe weather (ice).. Unlike the newspaper is delivered every single day of the year, if there is ice it is just later than usual.

Daycare would replace the cost of gas that I am paying now, I impose on my parents now when I am working Post office. That is why I say minimum income has to be 500 but I believe the potential of greater amounts is with this job field, and using someone else's gas.....

I drove heavy equipment in the USAF loading planes,and certified and inspected hazmat for air transport, had even got driver training on what we called a duece&1/2 which required double shifting, but that was the only time driving I did on that equipment. I don't know what the length was on the loaders we used I only remembered we had some that held 40k and also 25k and were straight axles ( they didn't turn like semi's do) But this was all around 16 years ago...

I did talk to CFI the other day, they have no contract, they use like 8 different schools. You have to put 1000 up front then they reimburse the school for the rest. They have 6 holidays and Christmas guaranteed home for everyone. Schneider has 1 yr contract but do train through the company, don't know about x-mas...
I am still looking and comparing, still unsure when able to take the plunge, now my husband is having slight med problems have to make sure they are slight and not something major. If so I don't know if I could go OTR then. Hopefully it turns out ok. I know I need to do something if my car quits we're screwed. That is what makes me keep coming back to this decision to change careers........
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Where do you live? Urban/Rural? Near a major city?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Rookie

50 miles NE atlanta
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeen4555
50 miles NE atlanta
If you are close enough to their terminals look up:

Conway
Fedex Freight
UPS Freight

Inquire about a job as a part time dock worker. These jobs are usually easy to get. They pay around $11 hour. Hours are late at nite or early in the morning. This would allow you to quit one of your part time jobs. While you are working asked to be trained to drive. Once you obtain your free CDL you can go full time as a driver. Then you'll be making good money, home everyday, and you wont have to leave your family. I'm a driver for UPS Freight. Here's a link to current openings.

https://ups.iiserve.com/upsx/searchjobs.asp?OVN=Y