User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need Answers

I am new out of a driving school. I had worked 21 years as a Distribution Supervisor for a large company who decided to close the plant I worked at.

I am having trouble getting hired at the companys I would like to drive for because of the lack of experence. I don't really want to go to the big companys because I can't imagine being in a truck for 5 weeks with a stranger. I have always did my own thing, my way and always did a good job thinking outside the box.

Here is the question:

I can afford to go buy a used truck and trailer (2003 with 400,000 miles) with cash. I can pay for all the needed expense to get started without going into debt.

Am I totally off base for even thinking about doing this? I have decided I do not want to go back to a factory and have the door shut on me again. I am getting too old (50) to be out begging for factory jobs.

What kind of profit can I expect if I go this route? I have no debt so everything I would make could go back into my business.

Tips, Suggestions??
Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

My advice??

Forget about being an O/O untill you have some driving experience under your belt. Congtat's on getting your CDL, but for right now, treat it as a license to learn.

Having a CDL does not really make you a competent driver, much less facilitate all you need to know as an O/O.

Without meaning to offend you, I will say that in all likelyhood, you are nowhere being classified as a "Real Trucker".

Let me ask you a few questions:

When was the last time you bathed?? Shaved?? Brushed your teeth??

Well, if it was anytime within the past week, then sorry, but you are just a poser.

How many sleeveless undershirts do you own??

If you own any less than two, or any more than six, then sorry, you are just a poser. Why is this?? Because ownng only one sleeveless undershirt is not really adequate; you need at leat two; One to wash every 90 days, whether it needs it or not, and one to wear for 90 days.

More than six?? Too many; that indicates that you bathe more than once every month, which IMMEDIATELY disqualifies you as a "Real Trucker".

Sure hope this helps!!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

You are right I am not a driver with experence but either was anyone else when they started out.

I don't feel like I am total trucking industry virgin either. I have had over 20 years experence working on the other side of the fence than the companys while I was in charge of a large shipping dept. We use to load 80-110 Live Loads a day. I have dealt with about every company out there which makes me want to stay away from the large companys even more.

I have talked to a local company owner. He has only 8 trucks and says I can lease on with him and he can keep me busy.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Scott,

I was just joking with you!!

I see that you are new here, so apparantly, you are unaware of the fact that my cheese slid off my cracker some time back!!

As far as getting some experience, yes, that would benefit you.

As for the other matters??

Three things I would encourage you to do:

1st.

Check with Bandit's Cousin". He broke all the rules, & started out on his own as a bedbugger. He seems to have done very well. He's good people, he'll give you the straight dope. Shoot him a PM, tell him that I sent you.

One thing he did that violated the rules of conventional wisdom, while at the same time, proving to be a stroke of genius, was to start out renting a truck from (I believe) Ryder/Penske.

Costly?? Yep!! Expensive?? NO!! At the same time, he had a 100% tax deduction, no worries about upkeep, maintainence, tires, or, most importantly, NO DOWNTIME!!
Problem with a truck?? Turn it in to Ryder, then pick up another one.

Helps in a number of ways, esepecially starting out.

A.) His working capital was not tied up in a depreciating asset.

B.) He did not have to have a break-down or maintainance reserve fund.

C.) Every bit as important as A. & B., he did not have to worry about DOWNTIME, which can not only be expensive, but also disenfranchise clients and their customers as well!!

Remember: If the wheels aint' Turnin', then you aint' Earnin'!!

D.)
If, for whatever reason, he decided that driving wasn't for him, he had now worries of disposing of a non-performing, depreciating asset.

2nd.

Go down to the Owner/Operator Forum, post your question there, & peruse the other threads. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge there!!

3rd.
Don't forget about the soap, toothbrush, razor, deodorant, & sleeveless underhirts!!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

One More Thing, Scott!!

Take that money you were going to spend buying a used depreciating asset, , and invest it in a good Mutual Fund. As we speak, the DJIA is curently positioning to take a ride up to about 26,000 within the next seven ten years. (perhaps even sooner, depending upon what transpires in The Middle East!!) Invest that money, rent a bobtail, & let your money work for YOU while you work for your money!!

DO NOT enter into any type of company sponsored Fleece/Purchase program!!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt

I don't feel like I am total trucking industry virgin either. I have had over 20 years experence working on the other side of the fence than the companys while I was in charge of a large shipping dept. We use to load 80-110 Live Loads a day. I have dealt with about every company out there which makes me want to stay away from the large companys even more.

I have talked to a local company owner. He has only 8 trucks and says I can lease on with him and he can keep me busy.
The thing you are completely missing is that you have absolutely no idea what its like to be a truck driver. If someone works in an airport does that mean the know how to fly a plane? Try to find someone who will insure an O/O that has no experience. If you do you will probably pay a lot more than everyone else. Also, Like Useless said, why saddle yourself with a truck payment when you don't even know if you'll like the job? Suck it up and go with a trainer somewhere. Get your year of experience and see what happens.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd rent a truck and test the waters wityh the small outfit you mentioned. In 1-2months, you can see what revenue you're making and be able to setup a busines plan. If it doesn't work for you, you can cut your losses as an o/o and find something else OR go and purchase a truck and continue with it.

As far as profit, I'd like to say $150,000 after expenses. It could just as easily be $15,000. You failed to mention the type of work you'd like to do (flatbed,van,dump,etc) and as local or OTR.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
...As far as profit, I'd like to say $150,000 after expenses....
Holy Smolies...did I read that right??? :?: :!: :?: :!:
Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

You sure did. I speculate a profit of $15,000 to $150,000 based on the info given (minimal). $150,000 if he runs for 5 bucks a mile, etc tec 8)
Old 06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member