User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Do most OTR companies use Household Mover's Guide miles?

This has been explained to me as the milage between 2 zip codes, so you in many cases you drive a h@@# a lot farther than you get paid for. Pardon me but I have been driving only 5 mths and I look at the Qualcom and see 178 miles but actually you drive 211 miles :x this adds up to alot of miles driven that are not paid for :evil:

Do most OTR companies use this guide? What is the logic behind it?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Logic

..to not pay a driver for what is actually done. BOL
Old 05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Logic

..to not pay a driver for what is actually done and save money. BOL
Old 05-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have noticed more carriers paying practical miles, which will be closer to actual miles driven than household.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member

When the HHG guide was first developed it was to standardize mileage between two zip codes (main post office to main post office), by the shortest route.This way a customer would be charged the same mileage for deliveries between cities. Though today that short route may not be a legal route for a large truck to take which is where a big portion of the unpaid miles come from.

Now move forward to today. With computer mapping, satellite mapping, etc it is possible to figure mileage by truck route virtually down to the address, but many companies still use the HHG since that is the way it always has been done.

Sadly, there are companies that charge practical truck miles for freight moves and then turn around and pay drivers HHG, there by pocketing the difference and padding their profit margins.

More and more companies though are going to paying practical routed miles. While they may say they are doing this to be "fair" to the driver it is really used more as a recruiting tool.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
When the HHG guide was first developed it was to standardize mileage between two zip codes (main post office to main post office), by the shortest route.This way a customer would be charged the same mileage for deliveries between cities. Though today that short route may not be a legal route for a large truck to take which is where a big portion of the unpaid miles come from.

Now move forward to today. With computer mapping, satellite mapping, etc it is possible to figure mileage by truck route virtually down to the address, but many companies still use the HHG since that is the way it always has been done.

Sadly, there are companies that charge practical truck miles for freight moves and then turn around and pay drivers HHG, there by pocketing the difference and padding their profit margins.

More and more companies though are going to paying practical routed miles. While they may say they are doing this to be "fair" to the driver it is really used more as a recruiting tool.

And a good one ( recruting tool ) at that. Any seasoned driver will read that as a 8% to 10% " bonus if you complete the run. That means that if your CPM is .35 you will get .38 to .39 Vs. HHG @ .35.

BTW: that 8 to 10 % was what mine usually came out to when I ran OTR. Use to pi$$ me off really bad.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member

We get paid odometer miles. And my last truck had a fairly optimistic odometer, which read 60 when I was doing 55........................that means I got paid for about 10% more miles than I actually ran!

Oh, I luuuuuuved that truck! :lol:
Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have noticed more carriers paying practical miles, which will be closer to actual miles driven than household.
We switched to practical miles, and it made no difference at all. I still drive 300 miles a week for free. Yay for everybody who doesn't pay hub miles.