User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Orientation in Laurinburg tomorrow

I will be starting orientation tomorrow in Laurinburg. Does anyone know what to expect? Getting a little nervous. After the physical will I go to Thomasville tomorrow?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM

*Sigh*

What company are you going to?
What state is Laurinburg in? NC?
What state is Thomasville in?

Come-on,
We need more information in order to answer your questions.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Rookie
Default Orientation in Laurinburg

Sorry. Maverick Trucking in Laurinburg,NC and then to Thomasville,NC for CDL training.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 PM

I don't know from personal experience but I've only heard good things about Maverick. That is if you want to go flatbed. I didn't due to some knee problems but would have otherwise.

For orientation is the basic physical, paperwork, maybe some videos, little talks with various people in the terminal such as dispatchers, terminal manager, etc. Oh yea, you'll have a short road test that will most likely end with a backing evolution. GOAL. Get out and look before you start backing unless he says you don't have to, even if you have a mile wide spot to back into.

Training will be something like this: They will probably have around 1-2 weeks of securement classes and another 4-8 weeks out with a trainer. If you can hang with the trainer without having to go home during that time it would probably be best otherwise it'll extend your training time.

I don't imagine Maverick allows their trainers to run the newbies like a team operation, at least up front so you'll probably do some of the driving during the day, or most of it after a short time and your trainer will drive some too. You two will probably drive around 14 hours/day then shut down. If the load is hot then it may be different but that's how it should be.

I'd suggest telling your trainer than unless there's a time crunch, you want to do all the backing under his supervision. YOU CANNOT GET TOO MUCH BACKING PRACTICE. And it only makes since to practice while you have your trainer there. Make sure he goes over the qualcomm throughly with you too. It'll save time later if you're knowledgeable with qualcomm.

Buy a trucker atlas, if you don't already have one, at the first truck stop you stop at and then when you're in the passanger seat or sitting for the night, route every run you have, even if they give you an assigned route. Get familure with where you're going, before you go there. Know exit #'s, towns you'll be going through or that are just before a change of highway, if funds allow, also buy a truckstop directory and plan your stops for the night too.

You'll be on your own soon enough so use the trainers experience as much as you can, while you can. No question is a dumb question except the one you don't ask.

Hope that all helps.

Dok
Old 05-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
I don't know from personal experience but I've only heard good things about Maverick. That is if you want to go flatbed. I didn't due to some knee problems but would have otherwise.

For orientation is the basic physical, paperwork, maybe some videos, little talks with various people in the terminal such as dispatchers, terminal manager, etc. Oh yea, you'll have a short road test that will most likely end with a backing evolution. GOAL. Get out and look before you start backing unless he says you don't have to, even if you have a mile wide spot to back into.

Training will be something like this: They will probably have around 1-2 weeks of securement classes and another 4-8 weeks out with a trainer. If you can hang with the trainer without having to go home during that time it would probably be best otherwise it'll extend your training time.

I don't imagine Maverick allows their trainers to run the newbies like a team operation, at least up front so you'll probably do some of the driving during the day, or most of it after a short time and your trainer will drive some too. You two will probably drive around 14 hours/day then shut down. If the load is hot then it may be different but that's how it should be.

I'd suggest telling your trainer than unless there's a time crunch, you want to do all the backing under his supervision. YOU CANNOT GET TOO MUCH BACKING PRACTICE. And it only makes since to practice while you have your trainer there. Make sure he goes over the qualcomm throughly with you too. It'll save time later if you're knowledgeable with qualcomm.

Buy a trucker atlas, if you don't already have one, at the first truck stop you stop at and then when you're in the passanger seat or sitting for the night, route every run you have, even if they give you an assigned route. Get familure with where you're going, before you go there. Know exit #'s, towns you'll be going through or that are just before a change of highway, if funds allow, also buy a truckstop directory and plan your stops for the night too.

You'll be on your own soon enough so use the trainers experience as much as you can, while you can. No question is a dumb question except the one you don't ask.

Hope that all helps.

Dok
What knee problems do you have? I am 1 step away after these 2 knee surgeries to a knee replacement and I can still run a flatbed, just have to be careful with the jumping. This is what a ladder is for...lol Just learn to work smart!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Rookie
Default Orientation in Laurinburg

Yes that does help. I will be relieved to get through the physical and get into training. I am having alot of "What ifs". Like 'what if 'I don't pass the physical or if I do then 'what if' I don't pass the CDL? Got to find my confidence and just get in there and do it. I have always thought about doing this but didn't think it was possible. Now due to a job layoff I am going to give it a shot. My previous job kept me on the road but not long distances. It's been a long time since I was in a classroom. Will there be alot of class time, studying during training or is that just during the CDL course? I guess my question is once I have my CDL will I be in a truck with a trainer? Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Board Regular

Read this thread.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=25573

This guy just did a diary on his time in Laurinburg.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Default Re: Orientation in Laurinburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP
I will be relieved to get through the physical and get into training.

BOL JimmyP. Don't be stingy with the details.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Rookie

This is wife of jimmyp. Great news jimmy made it through day 1. He just called and he does not have internet were he will be staying. First day went about like this. Jimmy left home this morning about 4:30a since he was told to be in Laurinburg by 6am but he didn't need to be there until 7am. He was so excited he didn't sleep any anyway so he was up. Better to be early than late. He got through the physical just fine. They did a urine test and then he saw a film and then he waited. Went to lunch then the agility test in the afternoon. He got his medical card. Jimmy arrived in Thomasville about 5:30pm. He is rooming in a singlewide trailer with two other guys. They are right at the CDL training rooms so he will be able to just walk over in the morning. No privacy but he says it's not too bad. He will have all the privacy he needs when he is on his own in a truck for a week or two. Hope this helps anyone for what to expect on the first day.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Board Regular

This kinda sounds like the Seinfeld episode where the guy Jimmy talks in third person, "Jimmy's gettin mad, you don't want Jimmy to get mad" I guess you have to know seinfeld to know what i'm talking about. Anyway, haven't posted in a while, and i guess i couldn't think of anything better to write,"Oh, Jimmy likes Elaine" 8)