User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stevens Hiring Event

Well I did what I said I wouldn't. I went to a Stevens hiring event. Listened to everything they had to say and asked a ton of questions. Everything sounded on the up and up. So either they've changed or were lying through their teeth. I think they treat teams different than solo drivers.

You sign a year contract. The school is in Amarillo which is 150 miles from here. So we can come home on the weekends while in school. After school you have your CDL and then its out with a trainer for 5 weeks and then team with another student for 3 weeks. Which in my case will be my wife. They won't let us train together for our OTR training which is a drawback but do-able. Pay for the 8 weeks is only $350.00 a week.

After the 8 weeks you get your own truck and start getting regular mileage pay. They run Kenworth T-2000's with 80 inch sleepers. They allow hardwired inverters, refrigerators, and microwaves. And pets. You can do anything you want to make the truck yours as long as it isn't permanant.

Hometime is 1 day for 7 days out and it starts the day after you get home and ends the day before you leave. He said if we wanted to stay out 2 months and take 2 weeks off that was also do-able.

They pay all lumpers and you don't have to get it approved as long as the price is in reason. Or you can unload yourself and have the transflo check made out to you.

They approved me to start anytime and my wife has to call in a couple of days to see if they will take her with her misdemeanor. He said he didn't see a problem with it since she's never had a felony. But I told him we come as a package deal or not at all. No way you would get me to drive solo for them.

I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is fiction, but I guess we may have to just take our chances. We still haven't decided yet. We are still going to talk to Central Reefer and Gainey Transportation. I found out Swift has some kind of deal going where if they train you they train your spouse for free. But I haven't checked into that yet. Still scared of them.

I saw a Stevens driver at Sutherlands lumber yeaterday and tried to talk to him but he just kind of blew me off. He did say that he gets home whenever he wants and ussually stays out 2 weeks and get's home on Friday and leaves out on Monday. He said he was getting everything they promised him. And he said he gets about 12,000 mile's a month average driving solo.

But still I'm pretty leary of them but I'm that way about them all.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Your wife may have to wait for a trainer for a while. When I was there
some women had been on the yard waiting 2 weeks for a trainer. This may upset your timetable as you might have to wait for her to get done
with her 5 weeks before you can go on to orientation 2 as a trainee team.
Also lumpers are ok up to 150 after that you must get authorization.
You will not have Jake or cruise for 6 months(company policy.) Also you are limited while on trainee teams as to how many miles you can run (750) per day.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Board Regular

go find you a full length mirror and bend over and spread em see how much Smoke is coming out from what the Recruiter and the Blow Off driver told ya.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Rookie

We checked with Stevens today. They turned my wife down but wouldn't give a reason. Screw em.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I was happy with Stevens but then I last drove for them 8 years ago.