User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some help

Gusy I need your help. As you might have read in my other post, I just got off the road and got a local job. I cannot for the life of me seem to ajust my body's biological clock to sleep at 8pm so I can be up at 4am. This was never a problem when i was on the road, but now I just can't do it. I thought I would be more happy being local, coming home to my place everyday, etc. I even got a cat now. But I'm not anymore happier than I was before...as the saying goes sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side. Maybe the reason I'm not happy goes deeper than having a normal life. At any rate, I miss being on the road. I think about it all day long. It's like I'm addicted to it...in my blood as some would say. Do you think that is just fleeting emotions or does it mean I should get back on the road? I really do miss it, but maybe I should stick the local gig out and see if it works? I don't want to start a pattern of job hopping. I'm sure some of you have been in this boat where you got off the road and got back on. So please give me advice, what would be the best thing to do?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I never felt that way. I was relieved to get off the road and never want to do it again so if you feel this way you might be happier on the road. Still, I would give it a little time to adjust and make sure. OTR jobs are easy to get. I work nites and it took me 2-3 months to adjust my body's clock.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I never felt that way. I was relieved to get off the road and never want to do it again so if you feel this way you might be happier on the road. Still, I would give it a little time to adjust and make sure. OTR jobs are easy to get. I work nites and it took me 2-3 months to adjust my body's clock.
Well I would love nights as I'm a night owl, that would be perfect for me.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

Driver.... happiness just doesn't happen..........sometimes you have to look hard and fast for it.......sometimes it's right under your nose. I had to give up the driving, a medical issue that's on going, so I'm back in the design studio with a great company, making far more than I could driving, and yet I still find myself fighting the urge to climb back up into the cab and hit the highway..........it's crazy, I know it, I hated being away from home and not being able to see my wife every morning......... I couldn't wait to get home and once I got home, in couple of days I was getting antsy to get back rolling. Now, I can work on the remodeling projects any evening I want. I can putter around my woodwork shop whenever I want.............heck, I can even play around of golf when I want............use all that fishing gear I've got, I can even go out to eat with my wife at the drop of a hat, without scheduling it weeks in advance...................and yet every time I see some billy big rig rolling through Memphis, that yearning starts burning...........

Sometimes you just have to re-evaluate what your happiness is......? And when you think you might have it identified, dude, you gotta grab it by the horns and go with it..............
Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

For starters I would forget about the notion of having a normal life while you are driving a truck regardless if it is local or OTR.

Secondly give it some time. You got off the OTR circuit for a reason and you need to give yourself a chance to fulfill that reason and to adjust to requirements of your new job.

If after 4-6 months you are not happy in your local job then re-evaluate what it is you want and need. OTR will still be there.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
For starters I would forget about the notion of having a normal life while you are driving a truck regardless if it is local or OTR.

Secondly give it some time. You got off the OTR circuit for a reason and you need to give yourself a chance to fulfill that reason and to adjust to requirements of your new job.

If after 4-6 months you are not happy in your local job then re-evaluate what it is you want and need. OTR will still be there.
Well I have regrets of not finishing what I started, I told myself that I'd give over the road at least a year, maybe 2, but I gave up a really good job with Maverick and I don't think I should have left the road so quickly. I have a had habit of making rash decisions based on how I feel at the moment.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I cannot for the life of me seem to ajust my body's biological clock to sleep at 8pm so I can be up at 4am.
Tylenol Simply Sleep. Works for me every time I need to get sleep when I'm not tired.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member

When I pulled a reefer I had to have a fan running in my bedroom just for the noise. However, trucking does get in your blood. It is like a disease. When your aren't doing it it gnawes at you. At night, during the day anytime. Give your local job a chance. Like Uturn said "otr will always be there". Unless the Mexicans get here first. Oh Yah and the Chinese are coming.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I cannot for the life of me seem to ajust my body's biological clock to sleep at 8pm so I can be up at 4am.
Tylenol Simply Sleep. Works for me every time I need to get sleep when I'm not tired.
Go to a good health food store and get 5mg meletonein. Its over the counter and natural. You will get to sleep and be able to get up an hr later if you want with out the grogy feeling you get with the other sleep aids!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Board Icon

driver67373, if you would rather be on the road, and you are not happy with what you have now, maybe you aught to get back out there. It is in your blood. I scratch that itch everyday. :P On the other hand, if this is something that you might want to keep doing, but you have a hard time adjusting, it will come natural to ya. When I first started with SYSCO, working days, it liked to killed me for the first 2 or 3 weeks, getting up at 3:30-4:00 every day. I have been here for 4 years. The first 2 years, I was delivering. 2 years ago, one of my supervisors asked me if I thought about shuttling(or line-haul). I thought about the hours, and I told him that I would much rather go to bed at 3:30 in the morning, than get up at 3:30 in the morning. :P It was easier for me to adjust to driving at night, than it was to early to bed, early to rise, thing. Like I said, if this is something that you want to do, then you will be able to adjust to it. If you do this for some time, and you wont be happy doing it, you might look into getting back on the road.

If I lost my job here at SYSCO, for whatever reason, and if I wasnt married, I would probably go back on the road. Only thing, I wouldnt know who to drive for. So many companies are so full of it. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/