User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tuition agreement?

Yesterday I spoke with a local community college about their CDL training program. I was told to beware of some of the larger trucking companies who offer their own CDL acadamy - in the fine print they state if you leave the company prior to paying your schooling debt, you may be liable for up to 3 times the original acadamy cost. Is anyone familiar with this? Thank you all... and be ever-so-safe...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Board Regular

I'm a little confused by your statement. Is the training at a community college in conjunction with a couple trucking companies? It sounded like you go to school and you pay part and whatever company you go with pays the rest? Nonetheless, I've never heard of being liable for the cost up to 3 times the orginal amount. I would be suspicious about that!!! Did you already sign the contract??? If you already signed the contract you are in a bad situation.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Rookie

No contracts signed yet. I've been accepted at Swift and due to start next week, but in the interim decided to check the local college to see what other options I have. I'm now waiting to hear from CRST with the possibility of tuition at the college, then I commit to them while paying them back.

My goal was to get my tuition paid up front (whether it be Swift, CRST, or England... my only options in this state), get my road time in with them, then if they just don't follow thru like so many big companies seem not to, find a smaller and better company, and just pay back my tuition to the larger company most likely out of pocket. No problem. But, will I end up paying nearly three times the amount back because I left before my loan was paid in full? I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening, or had it happen to them... or... was the college just blowing smoke up my arse?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Okay... a friend just clarified for me. It has nothing to do with the trucking companies themselves, but with defaulting with the financial institution. The tripling really does occur if you default with them. I know this for fact. With accrued interest, collection fees, and any other fees... you'll be paying for a lifetime. The girl at the college didn't clarify when she threw that out there. She made it sound as if the trucking companies themselves would impose this. Best to read the fine print... and understand it. Common sense. Sorry for any confusion! Be safe...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Default swift

dude i just left swift i have nothing to lose by telling u the truth if u want to call 863-242-9457 after 9 est and i went to there school in tn if anything i can tell u what to expect with there school and working for them mikles trks and all rick
Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

The bottom line is that before you sign any type of contract to read and fully understand what it is you are signing.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM

If you can afford a partial tuition cost then consider calling CFI. They do not have their own schools. Instead they use reputable schools that are PTDI certified. You can read a great deal about them at www.cfidrivers.com . The site also has several thread areas dedicated to students who have posted their experiences.

For a new person, no CDL, starter company CFI may be a better bet than most you see. Unless they have changed it there is also no contract for the new student to pay back the portion CFI pays.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Rookie
Default Trucking school

My experience, just this year.
Pay cash, cost $2950.
Sign trucking co contract, $8500, and you must stay with them almost a full year.
If you can pony up the money now, some trucking co will pay it back to you on a weekly or monthly basis.
If you can't come up with the cash, the community college might have an assistance program.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Rookie

The CC cost for the schooling is just over $3,800.00 and they offer no financial aid for this particular program. Not qualified for state aid, as I'm still considered employed, tho I haven't worked for my employer for over 2 mo's and they won't lay me off! :roll: Seems other financial institutions want no bankrupcies - I did one two years ago due to having to close my store. Other technical school in the state costs $7,500. CRST may pay for my schooling up front, but I have to go to another state for it, and their home terminal is also there. I asked this in another thread, but wondering if going to Swift, getting my CDL, then bailing as quickly as possible would be an option.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Home terminal location is not that important in the scheme of things.

The 6-8k with penalties is a scam by the large crappy McMegaCarriers. It ties you to them for a year at their substandard pay. Only something like 1/10 people actually make it through the school and last a year.

See if any LTLs have dock-to-driver in you area. Fed-Ex and Con-Way have formal programs and some of the others may be willing to do it on a more informal basis.