User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New here - wife from CT, any suggestions for CT companies?

Hi, I've been reading some of the board for a few days and don't see much mention of CT. Does anyone have info on reputable trucking companies? I'm writing for my husband. He currently has a Class B CDL and drives a concrete mixer. As you can imagine, in CT the work is not steady for concrete all year long. He really wants to drive OTR. We really have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions specific to CT? We checked out Driver Solutions but are not sure if that's the way to go.

The woman in me wants to know where do truckers sleep, shower, eat? Does the company pay for your meals or is it all out of pocket?

DH has big plans to drive a Nascar hauler some day Then, I know I'd never see him!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

First off, Townie,

Allow us to welcome you and D/H to CAD.

As far as where drivers sleep and shower, with very, very few exceptions, they sleep in the truck's sleeper birth. They shower in the truck Stops. No "group" showers, they are all private.

As far as who pays for meals, coffee, sodas, etc., those expenses are paid by the driver, and are mostly tax deductable. Some companies do offer what is termed "Per Diem" compensation, where a driver is alloted a certain prtion of his pay for OTR expenses. There is much debate as to the merits and preferability of Per-Diem compensation. Some drivers like it, but based upon the posting that you'll read here, many drivers see limited benefit, or no benefit to it.

As far as your locale is concerned, I have nothing to offer you there. I'm down here in Texas, and the company that I drove for did not run New England. (with one exception; there was a co. in Penn. that we pulled one load a week out of their operation; I only made that trip once.)

I'm rather busy working right now, so I do not have adequate time to explain it. I've also been off the road for several years, so it would be best to hear from those who are more up-to-date in their OTR experiences.

As far as NASCAR hauling is concerned, that is an aspect of driving where many are called, but few are chosen. In order to be considered for that, I would strongly suggest that D/H get plenty of experience as a car hauler. Now, IMHO, before considering carhauling, I'd recommend that D/H get some time pulling a box or a skateboard.

Car hauling requires a special kind of driver, and when you are talking NASCAR, you are talking about an enclosed carrier, as opposed to the open carriers that deliver to dealerships and auction houses. There are many aspects to the job, such as loading, unloading, balancing weights, and delivering the vehichles unscathed and without damage. One little mistake can be very costly to the driver, as any damages usually come out of the driver's paycheck. It will also serve to tick off a client as well.

IMHO, of the people hauling vehichles, there are a few who are actually good at it. I have an old highschool buddy who hauled very high dollar metal. We're talking Rolls Royce, Lotus, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrarri, et.al., and delivered not only to dealerships, but also to clients who are very highly paid entertainers, professional atheletes, Fortune 500 CEO's etc.

Now, he was IMO, the very best of the very best. There are not many drivers who can do what he did, and do it as well as he did it. His technical skills were superior, but he also had to deal with VERY WEALTHY clients. Some who were very nice and pleasant, other who were very aloof and condescending, and quite a few who were very impatient and temperamental.

Yes, he made a fairly decent living, although in my opinion, (for whatever it's worth!!) he was seriously underpaid for the work, the resonibility, and the risks, that were inherent in his type of work. He was usually gone for months at a time, (not conducive to maintaining a healthy marraige), and he ran as an "Outlaw", meaning that he paid quite a few fines for exceeding DOT hours, what highways he ran, even some of the states that he drove in. (he had to bypass weigh stations quite often.)

I always admired him for what he accomplished. Although I can't say for sure, I would speculate a good guess that he would have made a very fine NASCAR hauler, but he is a truly exeptional, very intense, and rather eccentric person by nature. One other thing; At almost 50 yrs. old, he is still a string bean; very slender, which is almost a necessity for driving an enlcosed car carrier.

Add to the mix, NASCAR hauling jobs are by no means a dime a dozen, as are freight hauling jobs. If that's something that D/H wants to dream of, or even work toward, then Cool!!; BUT, understand that his goal is many years away, and that's if all goes well for him as he gains experience, and builds a solid track record.

Gotta' get back to the salt mines!! Hope this helps, BOL@U & DH!!
And, once again, Welcome to CAD!!