User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Biggest fear of driving?

I haven't started driving yet, but lately, I have been looking at bridges as I'm driving around in my car. Some have height markings and some don't. This seems to be my biggest fear, hitting one of them, topside that is. I'm just curious, what are some your biggest fears or concerns when out there on the road. (1) What worries you guys the most and (2) what do you do to make sure it doesn't happen?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

What scares me the most are the other people out there. Not that I am a perfect driver, we all can and will make mistakes, but there are some real idiots out there both in bigtrucks and 4 wheelers. We might be able to do something about our own mistakes, but we can do nothing about someone else's mistake.

The way that I try to prevent problems are alert and defensive driving. Always leave yourself plenty of space and definitely always leave yourself a way out.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Biggest Driving Fear

Getting hit by another truck. BOL
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Board Regular

My biggest fear is someone else deciding they've had enough, and they think the best thing to do is pull in front of a big truck and end it all, or take a leap off an overpass, whichever the case it won't be good. There was an outbreak of stuff like that happening a few years ago that i remember, i'm sure it happens a lot, but these were just the cases that i was hearing of. It's very hard to do anything to prevent these kind of things from happening, i do my best to constantly check my mirrors, in front of me, around me, whatever it takes, you just never know what that car in front of you is going to do, or the one pulling out from the side road. These are not things that i like to think about, but it's a reality of the road, just be on your guard all the time and keep an eye out to cover your butt.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

My biggest fears, in no particular order:

Rollovers
Hitting a school bus or other vehicle full of kids
Hitting a kid
jackknife
losing my brakes going down a really big hill (which came true :cry: :shock: )
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Biggest fear of driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
I haven't started driving yet, but lately, I have been looking at bridges as I'm driving around in my car. Some have height markings and some don't. This seems to be my biggest fear, hitting one of them, topside that is. I'm just curious, what are some your biggest fears or concerns when out there on the road. (1) What worries you guys the most and (2) what do you do to make sure it doesn't happen?
other people cutting out in front of me and i cant get slowed down or hitting me. I try to keep a close eye on cars that I see driving recklessly around me. I've only been driving 6 months and you would be surprised how quickly you get a 6th sense about what someone else will do. you'll say to your self that dumb ass is going to squeeze in there and sure enough they do it. As for bridges and stuff most that you need to worry about are marked. also I take a glance at the map and look at the routes around where i'm going and look for restrictions case I get lost. You'll get very good at looking for clues that you are on a bad road. signs that say so :lol: but also you'll look at the curbs to see if other trucks have hit them or look at the trees to see if their is a Path where trucks have gone through (the branches over the road with be squared off) also if there is a lot of truck traffic you can usally see the ruts in the pavement. the best thing I found is when I get turned around (your never lost u just dont know how to get to where your going :wink: ) is to stay calm and think. if you get frustrated you'll miss signs and end up worse off.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Don't worry too much about low clearances.

Truck cabs are high enough off the ground that self-preservation instincts will make you aware of looming low bridges & overpasses.

Just like an NBA center who instinctively ducks his head while walking through a doorway, you WILL notice clearances that could scalp you :lol: .
Old 02-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Rookie

My biggest fear is dying in my cab of a heart attack or someone shooting me dead when I say no to beggers.

Just dying on the road not around my family scares me
Old 02-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Board Regular

I remember when my biggest fear was being pulled over..........no reason to fear it, just didn't like the thought of the bubble gum machine pulling me over........................as far as the low bridges thing, it wasn't really a fear for I knew if it looked close to really look and see and not try to shove through there (seen a few stuck, not pretty sights) then with winter came another fear.........black ice..........I'm thankful everyday we've stayed safe and sound and pray we all stay clear of our fears and have many safe trips out and about ............. and even with good equipment not really a 'fear' but really not caring for a DOT inspection (or maybe the way some of the inspectors go about their duty) .........I've learned I have to have faith trust instincts listen to those that have been there and done that and not just take their advice for granted but actually apply it (there's a reason they give it, they don't want you wrapped up anywhere any worse than you do yourself, figure even one wreck or mishap can make alot of others look bad and alot of times they really are trying to help, gee sometimes I wish I'd have learned that alot sooner)
Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Board Regular

over passes on interstate highways must have 14 feet of clearance.
have seen careers ended when changing lanes and following too close. see people trying to scare 4 wheelers by climbing all over their bumper all the time.its a sick feeling when your standing on the brake with all you got and you think this is it.
if i see you tailgating a car with a woman or children in it will be calling you on the cb and i will pull over.