User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Chronic Back Pain

Alright, might be a little off topic for this forum, but i'm hoping to find a little insight from other guys out there who might be dealing with this same problem. I've been driving now for 4 years, and for about the last year i have had some of the worst back pain that i've ever had, it's not like an every once in a while thing, it's an everyday occurence. Now mind you, i race motocross (dirtbikes), and have been doing so for the last 6 years, i've never had a problem until now. Now here's the other kicker, i just started having these problems when i started hauling sod, i don't know if it's a combination of the rough roads and fields, the forklifts and piggybacks, or what, all i know is i would sure like to know that i'm not the only one out here dealing with this problem, i'm only 23 and it's pretty damn frustrating waking up everyday feeling like i'm 80. SOOOO, what is it that i might could do to resolve this problem, i'm going to start doing some pain management with a local clinic here where i live, has anyone had any experiences with clinics like this, Ex:Cortizone treatments, etc., and if so what kind of results have you gotten. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I have one question for you.

Do you sit on your wallet all day long?

I used to when I drove, and for a long time it did not bother me and then I started having lots of back pain. Stopped putting my wallet in my back pocket when I was driving and felt a lot better within a few days.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I used to have chronic back pain myself for years......a friend suggested I go see a chiropractor.

On the initial visit, the doc took some x-rays of my back and neck. He asked me how long ago i had the accident.....i said what accident, I've never been in one.

he showed me my x-ray ad compared it to a "normal' spine. My spine was way out of whack in comparison to a normal healthy spine. Kind of freaked me out.

Anyways, he said no worries, I'll give you an "adjustment". So he proceeded to twist, crack, stretch, etc my neck and back. Long story short, I walked out of the office about an 30 min later feeling like I was a kid again.

I no longer have chronic pain. I do go and see him once a month for these adjustments (my recommendation, not his) and feel GREAT!!!

It only cost me $40 for each visit. WELL WORTH the money....
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Board Regular

No, i don't sit on my wallet, that is good thinking though, i've never really thought of that, i toss the wallet up on the dash. I drive a 96 Mack CH600 riding on springs, and a very uncomfortable standard mack seat, i know it's a combination of my daily conditions, i was just hoping to hear from other people who have dealt with the serious pain, and have found a way to make it better. I sure wish a simple fix like that would cure my problems.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 PM

epidural spinal injections or nerve root injections!! The medicine is steroids and it really helps the chronic pain!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

You need to go see a chiropractor and make sure you find a good one. There are several out there nowadays that just want to milk you for all you've got especially if you have decent insurance. I suggest you ask around a lot and find one with a good reputation.

I know exactly what you mean by chronic back pain. I can remember one time years ago when it took me a half hour just to get from the back porch to the couch. Forget driving a truck it would be absolutely impossible when your back is completely locked up. Just shifting from laying on my side to laying on my back was an adventure.

Your back is nothing to screw with, I had my first back problem when I was 19 and I have seen a chiropractor periodically ever since. You don't generally need to go every single week and a good chiropractor will tell you that. I used to throw mine out every year cutting tobacco, would tough it out until we were done and then go to the chiropractor to get it fixed. Then I figured out that if I got a little more proactive and went before I had the problems I never ran into the problems. We have great insurance because my wife is an agent, we get 12 free visits per year/per person w/o even a co-pay. I'll go every couple of months or so, but before we had such good bennies I would go 2-3 times per year. The cost is usually only about 30-40 bucks per visit and it's well worth the money, IMO.

A general practitioner may be fine for some people, but from what I've seen the usual prescription from them is pain meds that eventually you start doubling up on because nothing is done to fix the problem then you'll go into surgery or multiple surgeries because you waited so long and the problem has gotten more severe. It's at least worth a shot to find a good local chiro and give him a week or two to see how it goes, if it doesn't get better then you can go see the general doc. If it does get better, shell out the 30 dugs every few months to keep it all in line.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you well.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for all the advice, i've got an appointment in the morning with just a general pract., it seems that he might pass along the same advice you guys are as far as the chiropractor goes, and if that's the case i would be pleased as can be. My boss, who was a former sod driver is undergoing the cortizone treatments, he gets three injections during the first 3 months of the year, and that's it for the year, and he says that it works well, but is also pricey compared to a chiropractor. My biggest thing is i do not want to give up driving, or racing, if a chiropractor can keep me inline, all the while doing the things i love, then i'll be happy, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Best of luck to you.......I know that the chiropractor works wonders for me.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Cortisone shots work good, but sometimes a periodic adjustment by a chiropractor will work great.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeenlate
Cortisone shots work good, but sometimes a periodic adjustment by a chiropractor will work great.
Not meaning to quote you nbl, your just the last on on the list.
Cortisone is bad for your body, and only a temporary fix.

Given what you said about motorcycles and bumpy roads, Chiropractor is the fix. If it is chronic ask him about Spinal Decompression. I wish I would have known about S.D. before I had surgery. It's what fixed my back. Try to find a chiropractor that's also into sports medicine.

With all the bumping from the dirt roads and jumping on your dirt bike, your back "could" be just out of alignment. A few simple adjustments should work. It also could mean you compressed your disk a little to much.

Ever look at a picture of a spine? Along the disk of the spine are these wing/finger looking bones. When your spine starts to compress they can twist and lock in together holding the compression in place, thus causing pain.

Do a google on Spinal decompression, you'll see what I mean.

If I had it all to do over I would have went... chiropractor/ core strengthening .... Shots, then surgery last if infact I even needed it.

A good work out for your core is always good when it comes to your back.