User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default White Collar guy considering driving

Hey guys. Ok, I'm sure that you've seen post similar to this. But, I'm wondering if there are any guys out there driving now that used to hold an office job. Right now, I'm a supply chain/shipping manager for a large company but I'm sick of sitting behind the desk. I've been interested in professional trucking as long as I can remember. However, my dad is a blue collar guy and he wanted me to do the college thing so I did. Now, I want a change. I'm 30, have a fiancee and she has a 8 year old girl. We are getting married in April. I am considering the industry. I've looked at Transport America. How do you guys feel about these guys for a beginner. I'm wanting someone that has good hometime. It seems that Transport America, Roehl, TMC, and Maverick are the front runners. Any more out there? I'm currently in Tucson, AZ but moving back to Huntsville, Alabama in 2 months. For you guys what used to be white collar, what did you do before and how do you like trucking? Thanks guys.

Anthony
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Hi Anthony,

Well I haven't started driving yet, but I am half way through school. I currently work for Ford Motor Co and going to retire at the end of this month. I will graduate from driving school March 2nd and hope to start orientation with a company (not decided yet) on March 12th or there about.

I have been in Bill of Material management for the past 10 years and various hourly and supervisory roles before that. I really miss being hourly and working for a living. I can't wait to get out from behind this desk and doing something with my hands again.

I am looking forward to my second childhood.

I think the best way to get into trucking is through a private school if you can afford it. It opens up a lot more options.

BOL
Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Board Regular

Check out Steve Booth's adventure in owner operators section
Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Anthony, I know exactly how you feel. My situation is slightly different. I'm 50 and am leaving a 25 year career. For the last 5 or 6 years I have held a mid management position. I just finalized a divorce after a 29 year marriage. My kids are all grown and on their own. My time is now my own.

I just graduated from a private driving school and will begin orientation in my new career on the 19th. I can't wait to get on the road with a trainer and learn the ropes. Its been a long long time since I have felt any excitement about my job!

You will probably have people here tell you this is no job for a family person. The lack home time will be very hard on you and your family. Having a child at home only compounds that.

All I can suggest is that you do your research, communicate with your partner, and take whatever steps fit you best. If you choose this profession, do it with your eyes wide open. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: White Collar guy considering driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1995
Hey guys. Ok, I'm sure that you've seen post similar to this. But, I'm wondering if there are any guys out there driving now that used to hold an office job. Right now, I'm a supply chain/shipping manager for a large company but I'm sick of sitting behind the desk. I've been interested in professional trucking as long as I can remember. However, my dad is a blue collar guy and he wanted me to do the college thing so I did. Now, I want a change. I'm 30, have a fiancee and she has a 8 year old girl. We are getting married in April. I am considering the industry. I've looked at Transport America. How do you guys feel about these guys for a beginner. I'm wanting someone that has good hometime. It seems that Transport America, Roehl, TMC, and Maverick are the front runners. Any more out there? I'm currently in Tucson, AZ but moving back to Huntsville, Alabama in 2 months. For you guys what used to be white collar, what did you do before and how do you like trucking? Thanks guys.

Anthony
I worked in retail management before I started driving. my grandfather dragged a flat bed around the country and my father drove a log truck so it has been in my family. I love the job but dont like all the crap that comes with it. there are very few people that respect what a driver does. here are a couple of things I have had to adjust to coming from a managment position.

1. shippers and receivers treat you as though you are stupid. many of the people working at these places are the types I used to fire all the time.
2. total lack of respect your treated as a second class citizen.
3. going from salary to piece work I don't mind not getting paid hourly cause it has been years since I was but I don't like putting in a 70+ hour week and not getting just compensation just cause I didn't turn enough miles. even though I may have actually worked my butt off due to problems.
4. my nature is to make things run smoothly and to do everything efficiently and the amount of wasted time will drive you nuts!

you will learn patience and the meaning of the saying "whatever"

actually your in for one hell of a surprise. think it through long and hard!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Anthony,

Never liked to think of myself as a true "white-collar" guy. I refer to myself as an educated redneck. Grew up on a farm and have continued to farm on a small scale all my life. Went to college, got a degree in Information Systems with a minor in Business. Worked for many years as an Operations Mgr in charge of warehouse, distribution, logistics, etc... From there got into sales and did that for several years also.

Got into trucking and, honestly, have never been happier. I particularly like flatbed work myself, but it's not for everyone. By far and away the toughest aspect is being gone from home for extended periods. I was a little used to it from being in sales as I traveled from time to time, but getting used to being gone all week can still be a struggle. I've also found that the grass isn't always greener on the local side. So, I'll be headed back out soon. Just needed to get some things lined up first. For instance, part of my farm work is that I raise tobacco and spent the past couple of months getting that finished up before heading back out.

I know you said you have a fiance so that could turn into a wife soon as you said or even an ex-fiance if she doesn't support your being gone for days at a time... You just have to way all of that out and definitely include her in your decision if you intend for her to be a part of your future.

From what I know the companies that you mentioned are a pretty good list. I have firsthand experience with Maverick and I can tell you it would be tough to find a much better outfit in the industry. TMC ranks right up there with them and I did a lot of checking into Transport America and thought that they sounded like a good fit for me also. If your seriously considering flatbed work definitely look into Maverick and TMC, but another that you may look at is Boyd Bros. They're based in AL and I've never met an unhappy driver with them. I've been talking with them for the past week or so and I really like what I have heard so far. If you're looking at the van side, you might take a look at Arnold also. I can't remember if they hire noobs or not, but they seem to have a really good Southeast Region. I have a friend who lives in Bama and he loves them, gets home every single weekend.

Most importantly, do your homework and make a list of companies that are right for you and then start whittling them down.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Board Regular

I have college behind me, and just liquidated a business last fall. I figured truck driving could't be that bad since I spent most of my time travelling anyway.

I just did my taxes for last year and realize it's nearly impossible to make the kind of money trucking I did with my business.

Not only that, but time with my family is important.

1. shippers and receivers treat you as though you are stupid. many of the people working at these places are the types I used to fire all the time. How True!
2. total lack of respect your treated as a second class citizen. Even worse. I love going to Laredo and being treated like my english is piss poor by a Spanish speaking dock worker.
3. going from salary to piece work I don't mind not getting paid hourly cause it has been years since I was but I don't like putting in a 70+ hour week and not getting just compensation just cause I didn't turn enough miles. even though I may have actually worked my butt off due to problems.
4. my nature is to make things run smoothly and to do everything efficiently and the amount of wasted time will drive you nuts! Yes!! I love it when shippers, receivers, and your company act like you are master of your domain.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I really appreciate the input. I've spoke with TMC and Maverick recruiters to get a feel for things. How often do you get home with Maverick? How many days a week are you home? If I can find something where i'm home weekends, how much could I expect to make in a year? I make really good money now and I know that I'd take a pay cut by going into trucking so this is also something I'm considering. Then again, if I'm happy doing it, it could be worth it. Thanks.

Anthony
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

You have a blue collar background and that will help you. My parents were blue collar, my father's side all farmers, but I wore a tie to work for 17 years and hated it. I was the boss, a big shot, and I quit to drive a truck. Yes, I would still do it again but its alot harder transition than I thought it would be. Its alot harder to go from high on the totem pole to the bottom than you may think. Remember all the days you were in a bad mood and maybe snapped at an employee? Or didnt like the way they did something? You're going to find out how it feels! LOL. The money issue was harder to deal with too. Everything was harder than I thought it would be, but I'd still do it again. BTW the cool part about drivin the big rig and the open road wears off soon. All highways look the same and its just a job, sometimes a hard job. Good days and bad like anything else. Biggest problem I see is your fiance.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1995
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I really appreciate the input. I've spoke with TMC and Maverick recruiters to get a feel for things. How often do you get home with Maverick? How many days a week are you home? If I can find something where i'm home weekends, how much could I expect to make in a year? I make really good money now and I know that I'd take a pay cut by going into trucking so this is also something I'm considering. Then again, if I'm happy doing it, it could be worth it. Thanks.

Anthony
You'll get home every weekend. Not saying that there won't be a time where you have no choice but to get hung out, but as a general rule you'll be home every weekend. Your hometime can vary especially dependent upon where you live, but you should get 36-48 hours at home every weekend. My usual was that I got home sometime Friday afternoon or early evening and I left out Sunday evening. You'll have a few times when you get home on Thursday, but you'll have a few times that you may have to leave out on Saturday night also.

If you went with Maverick, TMC or even Boyd for that matter, you will have the opportunity to make 1000/week. You won't be able to slack off much but 50K+ is very obtainable with any of these companies. Honestly, I wouldn't go out there for less than that. For the life of me I can't understand why folks continue to live in a truck for 30K a year. You can make that lumping boxes in a warehouse and be home every night.

Don't know what you make now so it may or may not be a pay cut. Personally, I've been in the 40-50K range for several years now and I didn't have to take a cut.

Good luck.