User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question for drivers

How many people love this job despite all the complaining and gripes I keep hearing about this profession?
And if any tell me what the positives are.

I work in a papermill but always been attracted to driving OTR,been called crazy for even considering this profession.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Not sure love is the right word as I would prefer to be independently wealthy and never work again ... but If I have to work, which unfortunately is a prenuptial requirement placed upon me by my wife 23 years ago...then I guess I'm doing what I want to do, and somewhat enjoy. How's that for an endorsement!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

If you don't like someone looking over your shoulder everyday is a plus. But being on someonelse's schedule (pick up and drop appointment) and being out on the road in sometimes inclimate weather (rain, snow and fog) and traffic in the cities are some of the downsides. Also being away from family(if you have a wife and kids) is a drag for birthdays and anniversirys ball games and such.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Rookie

I actually hate it and am in the process of thinkin bout getting ou of it,but I dont have any skills so I'm probably stuck
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Board Regular

Well i did OTR and have returned to local, i love my local job, go in at 5:30 am, and am usually off by 3:30, never any later than 5:30, a 12 hour day for me is a rarity, oh and did i mention i have the weekends off. I haul sod so i get to do a lot of interesting things during my day, the driving conditions are totally different, i load and unload my own truck, so there's much more involved than just driving a truck. I know it's a little off the topic, but if you put in your due time with OTR and find out it's not your cup of tea, you can find a good local gig like me and love your job too.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I should clarify my answer by stating I drive local. I've done OTR and would again but only until I found another local job. I could not spend an entire career on the road.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Hey scania, what paper mill do you work at? I just left the Georgia Pacific(prevoiusly Fort Howard then Fort James) in Muskogee oklahoma after 29 years. I can't tell you how trucking is now but I am going to Central Tech in Drumright Okla on March 14 and then to CFI.
The trucking industy pay will only be half to 3 quarter of the standard paper mill pay but if you are in money shape to do it and want to I don't think you are crazy.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The fact that you're here and can write in complete sentence structures with proper grammar and spelling indicates to me that you're wayyyyyyyyy overqualified for OTR. You might think I'm joking or being sarcastic, but just walk through any big-city truckstop or monitor channel 19 (i.e. "Sesame Street") for awhile and you'll see what I mean.

It was a good job 20-some odd years ago, but no more. Now it's too many hours for the money, too much time away from home, and too much free labor. Yeah, you'll get guys bragging that they're pulling down 50k, but when you add up all the time on the job, it works out to like 10 bucks an hour to live out of a truck. The massive 120% annual turnover rates should be a major red flag. Look at it like this: a McMega carrier such as Swift with 15,000 power units is going through 18,000 drivers a year!!!! Now how good can the job be if that many people are coming and going like the wind?

If you want to travel, get an RV. If you want adventure, hock the wife's ring and throw a big party with hookers and elephants. If you want freedom, vote out a Republican or Democrat. If you want big money, then play the Powerball. Because, despite all the industry propaganda, you won't get any of that stuff driving a big rig today.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:03 PM

scania

i also worked at a paper mill smurfit stone.

here is a list of the pay differance.

mill
12 hrs shift $25 per hour=$300
trucking
12 hrs x (31 cpm X 48 mph ave) =$178

Also there is no or very limited pension and wi insurance for otr driver.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Question for drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
How many people love this job despite all the complaining and gripes I keep hearing about this profession?
And if any tell me what the positives are.
Well...despite how certain "Local Drivers" will think you are stupid, and dirt poor....compared to how well cared for they are... :roll: That line of crap gets so old and tiresome. :?

I am driving a brand new big, beautiful red Peterbuilt, with a brand new 53' Reefer. Really gorgeous Rig...and gives me some pride, as well as enjoyment. It has an APU which controls the cab temp between 60-85 degrees when I shut her down. It's an on board generator...so it also offers me a couple 110v power outlets to run anything inside I want. Right now it is also saving my butt...as I live in N. Michigan, and it is sub-zero up here...so temps like this will drain your batteries dead. The APU will sense the battery level and automatically start and recharge the batteries for me. Nice...huh!

I just did a run from N. Michigan to Sacramento and Central California, then back loaded to Chicago and Albany...another back load from Rochester to Detroit, then another back load from Detroit to Cadillac....and home. I made over $2100 for 7 1/2 days of driving...and my average time loading or off-loading was 1 1/2 hours.

I hauled between 38k and 43k of freight...and only found a few spots I had to drop 2 gears. Most mountains I dropped one gear...or left it on Cruise control and she huffed and puffed steadily. I'd set the cruise at 2.5 to 3 mph over posted speed limit. It has an on board computer that gives me exact readout of road speed, rpm's, mpg, and even horsepower.

I'm doing a repeat run starting early Tuesday morning. I got home last Friday night...so I'll have had 3 full days off.
Anyway, that is a picture of my Trucking adventures. I love this Company. My Boss is a childhood Bro. This is a family run Company. I run mostly Pete's or KW's and 50' spread or 53' tandem Reefer's. We go anywhere and everywhere. At times I am also called upon to run a Dry Van, or one of our Flats. We have a 53' straight Flat, and also a 48' step Deck. I love the Flat loads....I usually make :shock: bigger money 8) and get to wear my lambskin vest...my mirror sunglasses, and chew toothpicks. ...That's standard.

There is so much to love about this business....so it isn't as bleak as some knuckle-heads want you to think. Of course life is what you make of it. I've been fortunate....but I also have had to play rough and pay my dues. You will take the good with the bad. Those challenges can be just as important to you, in your life as a Trucker.

I've run some older rigs, and spent lots of hours working on them. I've had some low pay. I've sat waiting for freight. It's all good.
Of course when you find what suits you...then you begin to really reap the benefits, and live your dream.

As some said...OTR is a good learning ground to become qualified and experienced for local work. You may find you hate OTR...or you could be like me and enjoy the hell out of it. Now....I'm divorced and 55 years old. I can go out there and not have anything to stop me or make me feel regrets. Younger guy's ...especially with a wife and kids...it's much tougher on them to be running down the road like a "Roadhog" oblivious to anything behind him. :lol:

I can say I am one who does absolutely "love OTR" and I'm living a dream. I have some plans for my future, which includes driving out of Scotland with my Bro "Wot"....and some day...looking up some of our Canadian Bro's and doing some runs up that-away. My sister spends her winter's in New Zealand...and I am hoping to go drive there one winter...maybe give "cutekiwi" a call. I figure I'm good to go for at least 12 more years of OTR....God willing.

Best of luck to you....if you want a career change...yes!!!! Trucking is a great industry to find your niche. I heard all the negative crap too. It is just from ignorance...or some other issues I am not qualified to diagnose.